Author Topic: MSTA Northeast Just For Fun Event  (Read 11179 times)

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
MSTA Northeast Just For Fun Event
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
NORTHEAST JUST FOR FUN EVENT

DATES: THURSDAY(7/10/14)-SUNDAY(7-14-14)

LODGING: MYER COUNTRY MOTEL (CRAIG & SHARON COX:OWNERS)
                   600 ROUTE 6 & 209
                   MILFORD, PA 18337
                   (800) 764-MYER   www.myermotel.com

Quiet cottages with a courtyard and separate parking areas for each.
Please reference MSTA when booking a room at the Myer.

ALTERNATE: MILFORD MOTEL
                      591 ROUTE 6 & 209
                      MILFORD, PA 18337

Typical one floor motel directly across the street from the Myer.

Questions directed to Jim(Doc) Lane @ (908) 766-2330 or rdlzrds@juno.com

Details to follow in subsequent posts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:35:48 AM by VersysRider »
FRIENDS DON"T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
Re: MSTA Northeast Just For Fun Event
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »
Details:

The Tri-State Area of New York, New Jersey, & Pennsylvania provides an ideal backdrop of scenery, good roads, and an abundance great eateries. As mentioned above, the motels are directly across from each other on US 6 and 209. Regardless of your approach to Milford, it would best to use Exit 46 and venture into town via US 6. This route eliminates the potential traffic snarl at the intersection of I 84, US 6 and 23 in Port Jervis/Deerpark. The traffic there can be a real bear especially at rush hour.

The highlight of this event besides the roads and camaraderie is Bethel Woods which is the site of the Woodstock Festival in 1969. The grounds are gorgeous and the concert field is still intact, A plaque commemorates the performers and the museum is a must see. The displays and memorabilia will take you on a journey from 1960 to 1969 culminating in a concert experience in its tiered theater.

High Point State Park and its Monument is a nice side trip off off NJ 23. Phoenicia, NY is a nice turning point on a route through the Catskill Mountains. Frequented by Babe Ruth, it remains a tourist destination for outdoor sports. If you stop for lunch, I would suggest "Sweet Sue's" or" Brios" for some oven-fired pizza.

The Hawks Nest on NY 97 provides some nice scenery and plenty of pull-outs for photo ops. Dingman's Ferry Toll Bridge is the last privately owned bridge on the Delaware River. It connects Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and you will pay both ways for the privilege of crossing. The Roebling Aqueduct Bridge spans the Delaware at Barryville, NY to Lackawaxen, Pa, and would be right on the way to Bethel Woods. It is the oldest wire suspension bridge in existence.

The roads in New Jersey will surprise you compared to what you may have heard. Most riders who have not experienced the Northwest Quadrant of the Garden State believe that the state is just multi-lane highways, oil refineries, and urban locations. The counties of Sussex and Warren will provide a really nice combination of roads, elevation changes and technically challenging curves amidst a backdrop of very picturesque scenery.

All three states have something to offer and chances are you will return after your first exposure. I can't compare it to West Virginia(my all-time favorite), but it has been my "playground" for the last 36 years on two wheels.

State by State Attractions and POI"S:

New York

Bethel Woods Concert Area and Museum. You have to go "Back to the Garden" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethel_Woods_Center_for_the_Arts

Catskill Mountains. Rural New York State at its best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catskill_Mountains

Orange County Choppers: Nuff Said.

Motorcyclepedia Museum. Fantastic Exhibits from the past. http://motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

Elk Park Overlook: Scenic view of Port Jervis and Matamoras.

Hawks Nest: A gorgeous stretch of roadway overlooking the Delaware River with parking.

Schwanagunk Mountain Range: Scenic overlooks at the base of the Catskills.

Downtown Woodstock: Artist Colony & not the site of the "69 Concert." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock,_New_York

New Jersey:

Chatterbox Drive-in: Located on Route 206 in Augusta (Thursday Night is Bike Night). http://www.chatterboxdrivein.com/

Stokes State Forest and Sunrise Mountain: Park the bike and hike up to the Pavilion on the Appalachian Trail.

High Point State Park and Monument: Stand in three states at the same time.

Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area: Rural roads through the Jersey side of the park including historic Millbrook Village and Worthington State Forest.

Peters Valley: Artist Colony. http://www.petersvalleygallery.org/

Dingman's Ferry Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJ1Q4nZgD0

Pennsylvania:

Grey Towers: Built by conservationist Gifford Pinchot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_qDPxlFKU

Promised Land State Park: A great route up through the Pocono Mountains on Route PA 390.

Pocono Mountains: Spectacular roads through the area.

Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area: Interesting Roads on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River.

Downtown Milford: Shopping for the non-rider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50IljdpOUo

Stay Tuned; More to come

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:42:18 PM by STDocLizard1 »

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
This is very cool. Alas, due to an extended trip in a different direction after STAR, I probably won't make it. I need to figure out how to be two places at once...reminds me of The Firesign Theatre's second album "How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all".
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
This is very cool. Alas, due to an extended trip in a different direction after STAR, I probably won't make it. I need to figure out how to be two places at once...reminds me of The Firesign Theatre's second album "How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all".

I know it well. Too many events, too many roads, and not enough time. This is our first attempt at a JFF and hopefully it will become a yearly event.

Ride safe,

Doc

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Just some photos taken in the last few years of the area:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
Just an Update:

I was talking to Sharon Cox(Owner of the Myer Motel) and she mentioned that she only has three rooms left.  There are still options across the street at the Milford Motel, but then you will have to dodge the traffic as you cross Pa 209.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I may have missed it, but what is the negotiated MSTA room rate? Also, is there a negotiated rate with the Milford across the street? Thanks, Syd :D
Touringman

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
I may have missed it, but what is the negotiated MSTA room rate? Also, is there a negotiated rate with the Milford across the street? Thanks, Syd :D

This being our first event in the Northeast, we could not anticipate a turnout to warrant rate negotiations. The Myer is a small family venue that has been in operation since 1945 and is extremely popular throughout the season. The Milford Motel would catch the overflow, but we could not give them any idea on numbers.
I have run a BMW event out of the Myer in 2008 and have stayed there many a night. I believe their rates are fair and worth it just for the secluded setting alone. Naturally, the fees in the Northeast are a little high to begin with. I'll be staying up the street at the Best Western for the CB1100F Spring outing at $119.00/night next month :o

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Just an Update.

I was just up in Milford for the weekend with the CB1100F group, and it looks like all is well. The roads are in reasonable shape considering the Winter we had. I had the pleasure of herding 25 riders on a 200 mile round trip through NJ, NY, & Pa. Thankfully, those of you who attend do not require a such a large group to savor the three states.
This area is a popular location to ride as when the "F Troop" left, the Harley Road King group arrived for the week. Talk about timing.

Stay tuned for some important information in the coming weeks.

Ride safe,

Doc

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
Sharon from the Myer Motel called today and mentioned that the few rooms left that we have blocked will be open to the public on Monday, 6/23 @ noon.

Don't wait to make a reservation.

AnnRedner

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
Doc Lane, Bill Thom, Kathleen & Randy Bridgewater and eastern (and beyond) MSTA members  ---  This looks and sounds like a terrific event in a super location. Thank you for all your efforts in coming together to organize it. I've tried and tried to work this into my schedule, and disappointedly, can not do it.

Please collect some photos and ask an attendee to do a writeup on this new 'just for fun' event for the STAReview. Your photos and story can be sent to Nicky Zarras at editor@RideMSTA.com. I hope you all enjoy an excellent event. Be safe and have fun! :-)

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 07:40:06 AM »
Only a few days away till launch and the weather window looks very favorable. I shall be leaving on Wednesday afternoon as it only takes a couple of hours to get up there. I can be reached by cell @

(908) 507-5473.................I am not Bluetooth connected so I cannot answer while riding.

Ride safe!

Doc

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
Packed up and ready to leave this afternoon. I expect 12-14 attendees over the course of the event. I'll be staying in cottage #1 with the blue ST1300 & Jersey plate.

Catch you all later.