Ride Reports > MSTA Sanctioned Event Reports

Fall Colors 2015

<< < (13/13)

stevegrab:

--- Quote from: Patmo on October 17, 2015, 08:39:09 AM ---I agree that having a GPS, and knowing how to use it, makes leading a ride much easier.  But, depending on it can also cause problems and/or lead to opportunities to ride new roads....:).  A lot of thst depends on how well its programmed and how adept one is at using it.  I speak from experience on both ends of thst spectrum....having used a GPS at TriStar and finally being able to ride the Indisn Valley route without missing any turns, and having had some problems with following routes a few other times at other rallies.  However, I blame most of thst on my own inexperience and lack of GPS "savvy".  But it's all good.....

"When you don't care where you're going.....any road will get you there."

--- End quote ---
The Indian Valley route - used to get lost on that one too before GPS. In fact it was following routes at events like Tri-STAR that had me looking to get a GPS. Even some state highways are much harder to navigate in southern states than at home in Ohio. But now I use it regularly as reading a map in my tank bag is hard without removing my glasses worn for distance.

Great discussion here by the way, agree with most of it. Even within my local group I wish more people were willing to lead. Many expect somebody else to decide where to ride and do the leading. For years it was somebody now its me. I try to welcome new riders, but as Norm and others point out its a juggling act. In Lexington at STAR we had a group of 6 riding down, and picked up 2 more at the event. Still a manageable size with a group accustomed to each othe (one was new a guy from Australia). Then for the lunch ride a few more were interested, in order to accommodate them I got Quint (qman) to take the "faster" guys and go. This allowed me to lead a more relaxed pace that worked for the others (especially our senior rider of 80+ who was instrumental in the early formation of our local group).

Anyway so when are we riding again :-) 

Larry next weekend there is an Ohio lunch ride near Wheeling that I plan to attend weather permitting. I'll post that on our Yahoo list, if you're not on that email me and i'll add you or forward info.

wardie:
Steve thanks for the invite. If you could send the info to kbike85@hotmail.com or text me that would be great.

normkern:
LOTS of good discussion here. Thanks to all who replied!

Norm Kern

bcd:
This is a great discussion with lots of good points.  Thanks to all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version