Author Topic: VFR1200X coming to USA in 2016  (Read 14061 times)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
Re: VFR1200X coming to USA in 2016
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
If you think of the bikes as more of a sport tourer with relaxed ergonomics they make more sense. The best compromise between a true dual sport and sport tourer would be in the 7-800CC range in my opinion. I would like to see Yamaha do an ADV version of the FZ07. I could see myself riding one some day.

I agree with both points. My 14 ES is by far the best sport tourer I have ever owned and at the same time, if they offered a Tenere version of the FZ07 I would surely be tempted.Having ridden the FJ09 and FZ 07, I find the 700 motor more exciting with more character that speaks to me in a way that brings a big smile.

rideandfly

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
Been looking at the FJ09 as a possible next bike for Sport Touring to replace the Vstrom. We have small DS bikes for off pavement duty.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
I rode the FZ07 when it first came out... I hated the surging and the throttle response sucked. I hear that is fixed. I would like to try it again.
However I am REALLY lusting after an FJ09! I rode one for 20 days in the Alps and really love it!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Stephen P Grasso

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 05:01:35 AM »
Another uninspiring bike from Honda. And after riding the DCT version of the NC700X I was really disappointed. 

Still hoping for a hit with the Africa Twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stephen P Grasso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »

If you think of the bikes as more of a sport tourer with relaxed ergonomics they make more sense. The best compromise between a true dual sport and sport tourer would be in the 7-800CC range in my opinion. I would like to see Yamaha do an ADV version of the FZ07. I could see myself riding one some day.

They are on the right track with the concept bike they debuted at AIM.

Offline Stephen P Grasso

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »

Scroll down for comparisons:
http://allroadendurotouring.com/allroad-touring-enduros/big-allroad-touring-enduros/honda-vfr-1200x-crosstourer-dct-highlander/

Highlights:
No standard center stand (available as an accessory)
No available cruise control
The cross-spoked wheels are tubeless. 
Fueled up it weighs 83 lbs more than the 2015 R1200GS, 37 more than a Triumph Tiger Exp., 42 more than a Super Tenere, but 44 lbs less than a Stelvio (which has an 8.3 gallon tank).
Third most powerful motor in this group.
Most attractive feature is the big V4 motor.

Interesting article. I'm surprised they didn't include the KTM Super Adventure. The one thing about the Stelvio is that it can run low octane fuel without any issue. It has a 10.5:1 compression ration. I never ran premium in mine.

The KTM requires high octane but they have an available Bad Fuel Dongle for the 1190 which, from what I understand, runs a lower octane map. It also allows you to shut off the all the ABS and traction control permanently. I'll have to check my 1290 because I think that is a feature it already has.

v908

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 01:54:22 PM »
I got to take a test ride on a standard transmission VFR1200x last weekend, so I can provide a bit of insight (comparing to my ST1300)... I'm primarily looking for better ergonomics that suit my back better, so the more upright position of the VFRx is what first grabbed my attention.  I don't care about the adventure styling so much, but don't hate it either.  I'm a long-time dirt biker, riding a XR650L periodically, so the ergos and handling are right at home for me (and at 6'2", the 33.5" seat height is no problem for me).  Again, compared to the ST, the engine on the VFR was rougher, not sure why, at lower RPMs.  With my passenger, I found acceleration to be more than adequate, and handling was good.  It feels much lighter than the ST (and is indeed over 100 lbs. less), though a bit more top heavy.  It would take some getting used-to, but cornering 'flat track' style instead of sport bike style will be appreciated.  One major plus, at least with a passenger, was the suspension.  Over rough stuff (potholes, railroad tracks, etc.), the VFR's suspension was much better two-up than the ST (even with preload cranked all the way up on the ST).  My passenger felt the accommodations were a bit cramped compared to the ST, but really appreciated the beefed up suspension.

Overall, I'm on the fence.  I was hoping I'd either love or hate the VFR (making the decision easy), but I walked away somewhat neutral.  I enjoyed the right and could easily be comfortable on the bike, but it didn't "wow" me and make me want to whip out my wallet either... I don't really care about the lack of cruise control or electronic suspension (seems the be the primary quibbles in reviews) and am really just interested in it for commuting/touring and occasional back roads that the ST wouldn't appreciate.

If anyone else has taken a test ride on one recently, I'd love to hear more about what people think...

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
I hope to do a test ride on one at STAR next week in Vermont. But when I rode in Europe last year I saw and sat on one and was not impressed. The European riders were not impressed either.

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
I got to take a test ride on a standard transmission VFR1200x last weekend, so I can provide a bit of insight (comparing to my ST1300)... I'm primarily looking for better ergonomics that suit my back better, so the more upright position of the VFRx is what first grabbed my attention.  I don't care about the adventure styling so much, but don't hate it either.  I'm a long-time dirt biker, riding a XR650L periodically, so the ergos and handling are right at home for me (and at 6'2", the 33.5" seat height is no problem for me).  Again, compared to the ST, the engine on the VFR was rougher, not sure why, at lower RPMs.  With my passenger, I found acceleration to be more than adequate, and handling was good.  It feels much lighter than the ST (and is indeed over 100 lbs. less), though a bit more top heavy.  It would take some getting used-to, but cornering 'flat track' style instead of sport bike style will be appreciated.  One major plus, at least with a passenger, was the suspension.  Over rough stuff (potholes, railroad tracks, etc.), the VFR's suspension was much better two-up than the ST (even with preload cranked all the way up on the ST).  My passenger felt the accommodations were a bit cramped compared to the ST, but really appreciated the beefed up suspension.

Overall, I'm on the fence.  I was hoping I'd either love or hate the VFR (making the decision easy), but I walked away somewhat neutral.  I enjoyed the right and could easily be comfortable on the bike, but it didn't "wow" me and make me want to whip out my wallet either... I don't really care about the lack of cruise control or electronic suspension (seems the be the primary quibbles in reviews) and am really just interested in it for commuting/touring and occasional back roads that the ST wouldn't appreciate.

If anyone else has taken a test ride on one recently, I'd love to hear more about what people think...
If the only downside to the ST13 is the suspension, that can be fixed. The basic seating position probably can't be changed much nor engine characteristics. Sounds like a new rear shock and front end upgrade to the ST would be money better spent...unless you just want a new bike.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
I rode the VFR1200X at Star. This is the bike I hoped they would come out with in about 2011, when they did the first VFR1200s. Might have gone for it then, but there are much better choices now. IMHO, twitchy throttle made it hard to ride smoothly. No cruise or ES suspension, which is readily available on the Yam Super Tenere.

I went from the ST1300 for a '14 Yam FJR ES, which just rolled over 50k miles. It rocks. Used to be very loyal to Honda, but they have repeatedly disappointed me.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
I rode the VFR-X manual on Wednesday afternoon because I had a little time to kill and it was available.  I was not impressed,  particularly after riding the Africa Twin earlier in the week.

It felt heavy and top heavy.  The suspension was very rigid (preload might have been set too high for my svelte 210lbs???) and the snatchy throttle was the worst I've ever experienced.  Like Norm says it would be impossible to modulate the throttle on this machine on low traction surfaces. On the plus side it pulled like fighter jet and had great torque.  Definitely NOT my ride through.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
I also rode the VFR1200X (manual trans) and both versions of the Africa Twin at STAR. 

The VFR1200X has a great motor - loved it.  It pulled hard from 4-8k rpms.  Shifted easily, no surprise.  The throttle didn't bother me, and I have been turned away by that in the past on different bikes.  The weight was not an issue, especially once it was moving.  I looked at the bike as a street bike, not a dual sport.  I liked the handling both low speed and under throttle. The bike is visually dull as presented.  I really liked that motor. Cruise control would be nice.

The Africa twin handled great, had good ergonomics.  Overall I liked it.  It only pulled hard from 4-6k rpms, but the transmissions made it very rideable.  DCT in sport mode and using the paddles to adjust was a winning combo.  The manual good as expected.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:08:45 PM by doug mcpeek »
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.