Author Topic: Forest fires in the southeast  (Read 6194 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Forest fires in the southeast
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »
I rode over to Asheville yesterday to deliver a check to the Ride For Kids office for the association's members' donations. My thanks to you all for your continued generosity.

The bike du jour was the '07 BMW F650GS...it always gets great fuel economy and I haven't had a chance to get it out for the last couple of months for anything more than an around town ride. The relatively new Mefo Explorers handled fine in the combination of wet and dry conditions, and at moderate speeds I got about 68 mpg for the day. The stock heated grips didn't hurt anything to help me stay comfortable and alert.

For the ride east starting around noon, I stuck to the interstate as the weather was still a bit rainy...but clearing. It actually got a bit sunny once I cleared the mountains, and it looked to be a pleasant afternoon. Once I'd dropped off the check Tim Macy, our treasurer, had generated, I headed over to the Blue Ridge Parkway for the first part of the return trip. The parkway was, well, it was the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road was wonderful, scenery was beautiful (albeit mostly shades of brown), and on a Monday in December, traffic was practically non-existent. I saw one motorcycle and 3 cars heading north spread out over the 75 miles from Asheville to Cherokee. It was pretty darned delightful despite the temperature ranging from the low 50s at low altitude to a good bit cooler at higher elevations. With pretty cool-ish conditions and a mix of wet and dry, I kept the speed down and enjoyed the heck out of the ride.

After topping off with gas at Cherokee, I headed back across US 441 towards Gatlinburg to fulfill the second goal of the day...to see some of the damage done by the forest fires that devastated this area recently. Passing through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, I saw nothing of fire damage until I got to the trailhead of the Chimneys on the Tennessee side of the park. From there eastward it was a mixed bag of ground burned bare with charred trees and other sections that seemed to be untouched. But having grown up in this area, seeing any of the area affected but this fire was disappointing. I've read that the fires started when a couple of teenagers were flicking matches off the Chimneys trail. While they didn't intend to start such devastation, the stupidity of their actions is mind boggling.

Further down the road and into Gatlinburg, I went down the side road next to the river that passes through town. With the river on my left, I looked across the water to see motels and other businesses burned to nothing more than some pieces of foundation. 100 yards later there would be another place seemingly untouched. We've all read stories of natural disasters where one structure would be destroyed with an adjacent structure untouched, and that certainly held true for this fire. One block to my right was the main drag through the center of Gatlinburg, and by all reports it was undamaged outside of smoke damage (not to diminish that as it can be pretty nasty too).

The spur between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge was another place that showed obvious damage. With the ground burned bare right down to the edge of the road in places, it must have been awful and terrifying to try to escape the area once the evacuation had been announced.

Spring will bring new ground cover and the burned fallen and downed trees won't be as visible. Leaves will come back and hide more of the damage. Summer may hide enough of the damage to make it almost as if it didn't happen. But for years to come, winters will again reveal the havoc brought down by a combination of environmental conditions and two young men's ill conceived actions.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Forest fires in the southeast
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
Whew I too would like to see the fire damage. 
So the check to RFK... how much did you collect this year and how does that rank with all the other years you've been our RFK collection person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Geoffrey, I know you need not much of an excuse to ride (a stamp would have delivered that check) but personally handing over the check to the RFK, making sure it reached the right hands is pretty cool. It's kinda like being a modern day pony express rider with a purpose. Thank you for all your efforts prior to that delivery to collect those funds. it's important to the club and to the children it helps. God Speed, Mr. Greene.

Also thank for the report on the Smokie Mountain region. It's my favorite place on earth to ride and it really hurt to see all that damage on the news reports. Mother Nature will bounce back but she didn't need this senseless setback. 14 lives (so far) were lost so those young men are i a heap o' trouble.   TM

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

Also thank for the report on the Smokie Mountain region. It's my favorite place on earth to ride and it really hurt to see all that damage on the news reports. Mother Nature will bounce back but she didn't need this senseless setback. 14 lives (so far) were lost so those young men are i a heap o' trouble.   TM
The two young men have been charged with aggravated arson. I don't know how the death of 14 souls works into that...maybe it doesn't. For what perhaps could be argued to have been an accident, it still seems like so little for having caused so much loss.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:08:33 PM »
Whew I too would like to see the fire damage. 
So the check to RFK... how much did you collect this year and how does that rank with all the other years you've been our RFK collection person?

I have to depend on our treasurer as I never see the financial reports that come back from the events. Tim Macy has been busting his behind to figure all of this out after coming out of his retirement as our treasurer, but here's what has been determined.

In 2013, Tim wrote a check for about $2500 (as I recall) to the RFK and I turned it in. Some years have been more than others because at times I was able to include the amount collected at STAR and other years the timing just didn't work out.

I didn't request a check in 2014 as I had gone to Alaska that year after STAR in Rapid City. At the end of 2014, the RFK collected balance was $5054.25 and included event collections at the end of 2013 such as the MPFB and all of 2014.

In 2015 I tried to get a check from Tim's replacement, but I did not receive one. For all of 2015, the association collected $3849.00 for a grand total balance of $8903.25. That is the amount of the check that Tim recently wrote to the RFK and which I just delivered.

At STAR this year I had still not received any indication that a check would be forthcoming from Tim's replacement, so with the permission of the EC, I held the funds raised for the RFK at STAR this year (the treasurer was not there, so I had no one to give the money to anyway). In August we still had no resolution regarding the treasurer, so I also held onto the funds donated at the MPFB with Jon Campbell's agreement. Those amounts from those two events totaled around $1800. I had another ~$100 from Rick Giddish's 2015 Middlesboro event, and I added a personal donation to the amount to bring it up to $2100. That was turned in at the Knoxville RFK event in October in the association's name.

Next year we will have all 2016 donations collected at Tri-STAR and all other events this year other than STAR and the MPFB. Those amounts will be added to the amount that I just turned in, so at our event next October we'll probably get credit for over $10k in donations. That's really cool. Since the "local" RFK event next year will be at Deal's Gap the first Saturday in October, I think that would be a fine time for a bunch of our members to show up.

The next year we'll probably be back to a more normal amount.

Every year there is a variation based on what type donations have been collected. We've done a real 50/50 at STAR some years with the winner donating back anywhere from $0 to all of their part. Some years we've called it a 50/50 but had the winning pot capped at $500 or had some type of swag as the prize (it was a portable grill one year). And even when we've done that, the winner has sometimes donated part of it back.

I don't really know what kind of money Tom Bartels used to generate, but my gut feeling is that the amounts being collected in recent years have gone up. A very few years ago it was a big, big deal when we collected $500 at the MPFB for the first time. This past year it was north of $700, and the winner of the 50/50 donated his entire portion back to the cause which allowed us to give the entire $700+ to the RFK. Our donations at Tri-STAR this year were the most we've ever received too. I haven't seen a breakdown on which events generated donations, but perhaps I can get that from Tim before he goes back into retirement.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Forest fires in the southeast
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »
OMG... those numbers are fantastic! Mike and Diane would be proud! ❤️ What a great cause!
Thank You for all your efforts for both the MSTA and RFK! You are A-OK in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:56:26 AM »
Numbers like this are one reason I'm proud to be a member of this association.  Good on all that have donated in the past and will in the future......fantastic job everyone!
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »
Numbers like this are one reason I'm proud to be a member of this association.  Good on all that have donated in the past and will in the future......fantastic job everyone!
Very true.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
Geoffrey, thank you so much for your continuing effort on behalf of RFK and MSTA. Like Pat and Steve, and I don't doubt many of us, the generosity of club members is one of the things that makes me proud of MSTA.

Thanks also for the ride report. It's good to hear that not everything was burned to the ground. While such fires can start from natural causes, it's even more distressing when caused by mind-boggling human stupidity. If those two imbeciles rot in jail, I won't be bothered much (assuming their guilt is actually proven).
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the update on the numbers, Geoffrey.  We are all lucky enough to be in a position to ride motorcycles or we wouldn't be in the club. But with the many things that tug on our purse strings it is nice to know that our heart strings still play a beautiful tune.  I'm also proud to see what this group does for such a worthy cause. Without this no progress is made and we have seen and heard of the improvements in just the relatively few years of the RFK. Yes indeed Brick, Mike and Diane have been done proud.