Author Topic: Polaris gives the axe to Victory!  (Read 6704 times)

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
Polaris gives the axe to Victory!
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
Reported today Polaris Industries announced they would discontinue operations and manufacturing of the Victory motorcycle line. Citing recalls for their Victory motorcycles and low sales (some dealers reported only selling 20 bikes year) . IMOO Victory never gained traction with the Harley crowd. Victory bikes price points at or above Harley with resale value very low in comparison. Once Indian came out Polaris was all about Indians. Last year in Daytona it was all about Indians in the magazines, billboards and radio commercials. You have to wonder what they are going to do with their electric bike technology they spent millions to acquire two years ago. The Impulse is quite a bike and the High Octane another good bike...but who would pay extra $$ for the Arlen Ness stuff??

Seems the Slingshot is getting a pass even with the recalls Polaris states they are happy with their growth in that market.

One other interesting note, well two actually. Polaris has to have parts on hand for 10 years.. Polaris is going to help current dealers move their inventory with some type of compensation to unload the bikes which means if you're interested watch for some great deals.. Wardie
Wardie

Offline BentAero

• Forum Member
Re: Polaris gives the axe to Victory!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:05 PM »
Sad to see this happen. The whole cruiser thing is not for me, but if I were to get one again, Victory would be high on my list.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the '10 years of parts thing', that's never going to happen. It's hard enough to get parts for a 10 year old bike from a brand that *hasn't* folded. Erik Buell sure isn't making/stocking any parts for those $40k carbon toys he built...

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:32:36 PM »

One other interesting note, well two actually. Polaris has to have parts on hand for 10 years.. Polaris is going to help current dealers move their inventory with some type of compensation to unload the bikes which means if you're interested watch for some great deals.. Wardie

You'd better get one heck of a great deal since its resale value is just about nil.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:37:32 AM »
[...Polaris has to have parts on hand for 10 years...]

There is a popular myth that this is some sort of iron clad law but as far as I know, there is no such law and I originally heard about it as being 8-years.

Heck there are many brands today, Japanese and Euro, that don't have parts for 2016 models so I can't imagine them having "parts on hand for 10 years."  They might have the parts diagrams and part number system but actually having a hard part on the shelves is just not the way it is. 

ps. And I'm talking about parts beyond the normal spark plugs, oil & air filters and drive chains. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:42:57 AM by DirtFlier »

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
Good luck with getting parts for anything. Here's a few memorable examples from my experience:

1. A Suzuki dealer did not have oil filters or oil filter o-rings in stock for my DRZ400- a bike that has been in production since about 1998 and is still current.

2. Two Suzuki dealers on the same day didn't have spark plugs for a friend's 1200 Bandit.

3. Honda dealers usually didn't have brake pads for my Honda ST1300.

Since everything has to be ordered anyway, Victory owners will do fine shopping online. Online suppliers are very good at obtaining hard-to-find parts as they often network and have numerous sources.

Given demographic trends and the current state of the market, Victory won't be the only motorcycle brand to fold their tent in the next year or two.

Norm Kern

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »

Given demographic trends and the current state of the market, Victory won't be the only motorcycle brand to fold their tent in the next year or two.

Norm Kern

Who's next, Norm??!!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
Sorry to hear this, not my type of bike but still. Saw the news earlier today from a local riders list and most of them agreed that the purchase of Indian (and push to make it work) by Polaris kind of spelled the end of Victory (their sales and others issues were known at that time).

As for who is next, I'd say somebody small that has changed hands a lot recently, maye one of the Italians (MotoGuzzi, Aprilia) or something like that. No way I see any of the big 4, or BMW, Triumph, Ducati folding their MC business.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
I'm surprised that Polaris didn't pull the plug on the slingshot as well.  Maybe they have sold a lot more of those.   
2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X
19753Trail 90

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
I'm surprised that Polaris didn't pull the plug on the slingshot as well.  Maybe they have sold a lot more of those.   
Different product/market than bikes, while Indian shares the same market space with Victory.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
I received the information regarding Victory in an email from my Road Racing Reporter Michael Marino (MSTA BTW). He had forwarded it from Cycle News. They cited mfg. will be required to have parts available for 10 years. I think Polaris being the huge company will probably continue supporting the Victory with parts...will it end up being 10 years who knows but a better chance to see 10 years with Polaris than Erik :(

I agree dealers do not carry nearly the stock they used to and IMO it is because of the economy and the costs of leaving those paid for parts on the shelf till someone wants them. Plus they're are many models some are "like" or "similar" through the years some are not again causing stocking situations as what to carry or not. I agree the internet has been a godsend to buyers but IMO impacts on local dealers which may have also led to less stock on hand.

Silly not to have the disposable items like oil, filters and spark plugs on hand.

We're lucky to have some great dealerships in NE Ohio. One of them is Gollan's Honda Suzuki. I have a 1979 Honda CB 650 that we are turning into a Café racer...didn't they have the OEM stock rear sprocket with plastic chain guard in stock! I also have a 1976 Suzuki A 100 Go-Fer that I have entered in the Moto Giro USA in May and they have many of the disposable items in stock and crazy stuff like crankcase seals two days away.

BTW the Moto Giro USA is May 12-13 and 14th in Asheville, NC.  Small bore fun at it's best.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:32:14 PM by wardie »
Wardie

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
[....As for who is next, I'd say somebody small that has changed hands a lot recently, maye one of the Italians (MotoGuzzi, Aprilia) or something like that...]

Moto Guzzi and Aprilia have been under the Piaggio corporate umbrella for at least 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:12:12 PM by DirtFlier »