Events > North Georgia Classic

2017 North Georgia Classic

<< < (5/5)

HawkGTRider:

--- Quote from: HawkGTRider on April 20, 2017, 10:28:06 am ---The first "HSTA" event I ever attended was STAR '93 in Helen. There were a couple of really nice days and at least one rainy day. The Totes outlet just up the street was doing a booming business in rubber boots and such.

--- End quote ---

To expound slightly on STAR '93 in Helen being a bit wet, there were some very fine dry days as well. And while I rode some in the rain, riding less in the wet gave me the opportunity to hang at the rally site and get to know more people. I came away from the event determined to attend more events because of the fine people I met. There is an upside to a rainy day if you're with friends or if you have the opportunity to make new ones.

ericlarsen:
Good weekend in Helen.  16 souls by my count.  Those who made it were treated with excellent riding Friday and Saturday.  Sunday brought liquid sunshine, but was worth it.  The North Georgia Classic seems to have a rain day or two.  In the 21 years I've been going there, only 3 have been rain-free. 

normkern:

--- Quote from: Brick on April 20, 2017, 08:54:11 am ---I just called and cancelled my room. With 100% chance of rain on Sunday... no I don't need to do that.
The person at the Quality Inn told me she had one MSTA member cancel who had a broken ankle and one who had a three month old bike that wouldn't start.
For you who do go... I hope I'm wrong. I've attended many a wet Helen event in the past.

--- End quote ---

Brick,

Sunday was indeed a frog-strangler. Jeff Dolence and I rode 480 mi home to Dayton, OH in it. Light rain, wet pavement about 100 mi to Cleveland, TN. Once we got on I75, it was downpour and fog most of the time to Lexington, KY, about 250 mi. North of Lexington it quickly dried out and got nice.

OTOH, we had perfect weather going down on Thur and riding on Friday. Saturday, all you needed to do was stay a bit south of Tellico Plains and you were good to go.

From where you live, you could have enjoyed Thur and Fri, ridden an eastern route on Saturday and just gone home rather than come back to the hotel. You would have had some rain from about Waynesville, NC to home. 90 mi or so?

Norm

Brick:
Yea that sounds about right. Oh well my loss.
To make up for it I'm going to Galen's Staunton Stomp this Thursday- Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDEMYST:
Anybody take any photos at either this year's NGC or back in 1993?
The galleries are available for uploading your pics for both events! -JEP-
 :helpme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version