Author Topic: Bikes That Are Smaller And Lighter  (Read 16364 times)

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
Re: Bikes That Are Smaller And Lighter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Wow Geoffrey - that is some story. Glad you made it out pretty much unscathed, and as you said on a bigger bike it could have been so much worse.

Heal up and hope to see you at an event later this year.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Online stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Wow, that sounds nasty, glad you weren't hurt any worse.

I had something similar happen once on a back road, was gazing at homes, next thing I know I'm on a driveway near the edge of road, quick push on the bars got me back on the road before I got into the gravel beyond the pavement edge.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Yeppers...I absolutely know I walked, er, hobbled away from a crash that could have been much worse. If not for the single broken bone in my hand needing to be in a cast, I'd already be riding again.

I've been a testament to it before, was this time, and may be again some day, but hope not...ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME! It works. That and clean living, a loving family, and lots of prayers.

Now if I can just figure out a way to tuck my shirts in and put a belt in my pants after I've already got them on. It's amazing how many things we use two hands to accomplish without ever thinking about it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:25:08 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Whow! So the Doc didn't say anything about the black out? You did tell them right?
 Definitly ditch and replace the helmet as it must have suffered internal crush if you hit hard enough to black out.

Regardless, I hope you heal up real fine and have no lasting physical effects.
 The DR650 is a fairly tough lil' guy, but it definitely could use better lighting for night riding.
I'm glad you'll be able to ride again, heal fast.  :trink39:

Now if I can just figure out a way to tuck my shirts in and put a belt in my pants after I've already got them on.

...ahhh...isn't that Cindy's job for now?  :-*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:22:15 PM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
Whow! So the Doc didn't say anything about the black out? You did tell them right?
 Definitly ditch and replace the helmet as it must have suffered internal crush if you hit hard enough to black out.

Regardless, I hope you heal up real fine and have no lasting physical effects.
 The DR650 is a fairly tough lil' guy, but it definitely could use better lighting for night riding.
I'm glad you'll be able to ride again, heal fast.  :trink39:

Now if I can just figure out a way to tuck my shirts in and put a belt in my pants after I've already got them on.

I did tell them about being "out". I assumed that was at least part of the reason for the cat scan (with contrast). Maybe not, but I definitely told them. Once I came to after the crash, I feel like I was completely lucid. They asked name, address, destination, day of the week, date of birth, and so forth. I knew exactly what everything was except for the day of the week. But I blame that on being semi-retired. There are lots of times when I may not have a commitment for a few days, and the day of the week is irrelevant.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »

When my son was in his early 20s he had a classic headon with a car turning left across his lane. Long story short he broke both wrists (could have been a lot worse! ).  When they were putting the casts on in the ER, he asked the doc, "How am I gonna go to the toilet? " To which the doc replied, "I guess you're gonna find out who you're friends are."

Since Geoffrey has on one hand in a cast he's actually pretty fortunate.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
Jim's comment about me being fortunate is spot on. If we had a "like" option, I'd have used it.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 763375
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
Glad it wasn't worse. I won't even ride after dark if at all possible.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Jim's comment about me being fortunate is spot on. If we had a "like" option, I'd have used it.

I agree... (that's my thumbs up "like")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Daboo

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW F800GT
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Geoffrey, that was some ride and fall.  You made my eyes get real wide.   :o   I could picture myself in the same situation.  I'm glad it sounds like you made it out of it in pretty fair shape, all things considered.

Like others, I wanted a sport-touring bike that wasn't over 1000ccs.  So when I started looking for a new ride, I wanted something lighter than what I had.  I downsized to a BMW F800GT that is 100 lbs lighter than what I had before.  The difference is incredible.  It is just as stable on the freeway, and is more flickable in the twisties.  After a 10-11 hour ride, I find I'm still fairly fresh.  And did I mention it feels incredibly light when I'm backing it out of the garage or a parking space?

I'll be taking a two-week ride down to Utah to ride through five National Parks.  I have no doubt the bike will do just fine.

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
John 14:6

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:00 AM »
The F800GT has been on my radar for quite a while as well. It seems like a fine bike. If you knew me better you'd know I'd wait for 8 years after they came out and look for one with moderate miles, in good shape, and for not a lot of money.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 07:33:14 AM »
Been on my radar to.  I'd love to see Rich Grabowski post up and give us his take on it because he has had a year now to ride with it.  Like G, it'll have to be an older one with low miles for me to consider it.  I just sold my Ninja 600, so I'll be putting more and more miles on FZ6 this year, and it's not going to last forever (56K now).  When it comes time to look for another bike the F800 and one of the Yamaha mid-sized will be on the radar, along with a few others.
not all that wander are lost

Online stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
Been on my radar to.  I'd love to see Rich Grabowski post up and give us his take on it because he has had a year now to ride with it.  Like G, it'll have to be an older one with low miles for me to consider it.  I just sold my Ninja 600, so I'll be putting more and more miles on FZ6 this year, and it's not going to last forever (56K now).  When it comes time to look for another bike the F800 and one of the Yamaha mid-sized will be on the radar, along with a few others.
Last I heard he is still loving it, know he hasn't ridden much this season yet. But he's put enough miles on it since winning it to be close to needing tires, while his VFR got some repairs then became his #2.  I visited him last year in Ocotber and we took the bikes out for a ride, and I had my turn on the BMW. It was a lot of fun, very nimble plenty of power. Reminded me of my Kawasaki Ninja650R more than the VFR/Sprint I ride regularly to events.

The heated grips are nice, the power very good, the sound could use some work (its no VFR for sure). Seating position was much more comfortable than a VFR. He already put a rack for Givi top case and used that on it for his FCR trip last year. Hard bags are another long term option he wants for touring.

Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 12:55:04 AM »
And for the uninitiated, BMW is VERY proud of their bags.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Daboo

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW F800GT
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
The F800GT has been on my radar for quite a while as well. It seems like a fine bike. If you knew me better you'd know I'd wait for 8 years after they came out and look for one with moderate miles, in good shape, and for not a lot of money.
That's about what I did in the end.

I hadn't intended to buy one.  I had a perfectly good Honda NT700V that I loved.  But it was a sunny spring day last year, and I'd gotten out of the dentist's office early and decided to just check out the local dealership.  They had both of the bikes that were on my short list.  The Yamaha FJ-09 and the BMW F800GT.

The FJ didn't do much for me in the showroom.  It was a bit too tall for my 5'6" body and short legs.  And the styling had too many sharp edges...and the seat did too.  I went over and sat on the F800GT and it felt great.  The salesman said I could take it out for a ride, so I did.

One of the complaints I've read about is severe vibration in the handlebars.  Magazine reviewers say it's enough to put your hand to sleep.  So I wanted to see if this was true, or not.  My first impression of the bike as I pulled out onto the highway was, "Wow!  This is smooth!!"  Not what I expected at all.  I made my way over towards the freeway on-ramp and was impressed by the torque in comparison with my NT.  Where I'd normally have to shift down, I didn't on the GT.  I entered the on-ramp and decided to open the throttle up.  I wasn't ready for this.  The scenery was like in the Star Trek shows where the Enterprise goes to light speed.  Everything on the sides went to a blur.  The only thing in focus was the end of the freeway on-ramp where there were some flashing lights...and it was getting large, really really quick!

I got on the freeway and was cruising along in 6th gear and again, noticing just how smooth the bike felt.  I could feel some vibration in the handlebars, but nothing bad, and certainly not any worse than on my NT.  Hmm...  So I downshifted into 5th.  Same thing.  RPMs up, but nothing bad for vibration.  4th...same thing.  3rd...same thing.  I don't remember if it was in 2nd or 1st at 60 mph that I found the really bad vibrations.  Yes, it was enough to put my hand to sleep.  But seriously...1st gear at 60 mph?  Who rides like that?  Not me, anyway.

The other thing that impressed me, was how stable the bike felt.  I was in a lot of fast moving, heavy traffic.  I expected some turbulence from the trucks and other vehicles, and found none.  I filed that away in the back of my mind, wondering if it was a one-off experience or not.  It wasn't. 

I kept riding along for about an hour on side streets, working my way back to the dealership and looking for the other flaw in the bike...the scorching hot heat coming off the engine.  I couldn't find it.  The temp was about 70F and I sat in stop-n-go traffic for quite awhile with the fan kicking on, and didn't feel anything.  Hmmm...

So my wife and I left for a vacation in Palo Alto to see our youngest daughter who is getting her PhD from Stanford.  I asked my wife if in my looking at the GT...if I decided to buy one...would she mind?  Her reply was, "I mind financially...but you're going to do it anyway."  Wow!!!  Green Light!!! 

So I went back to the dealership when we got back.  Test rode the FJ-09 to be sure I wasn't missing anything.  I disliked the FJ-09 so much, I only took it around the block.  I took the F800GT out again, and it still wowed me.  So I negotiated with the head salesman for an hour, and we were still at least $1000 off on making a deal.  I told him, that he was also competing with the used bike market too.  His reply was that his bike had a warranty.

So a week later, a friend of mine found a Craigslist ad for a 2014 F800GT up in Maple Falls.  He had it priced at $300 less than the Kelley Blue Book...which put it a couple thousand less than the "new" demo model 2015 I'd ridden at the dealership.  The mileage wasn't bad either.  Only about 2300 miles were on the bike.  And this is where it pays to buy used...his intention had been to take the bike touring, so he'd done the research to get the best mods for the bike to make it comfortable.  He thought he had about $2000 in accessories on the bike.  I counted it up later, and it was closer to $3000 he'd spent.  And since he was about my height...it all worked for me too.

I've owned mine for a year now.  I've used it as a commuter bike in Seattle, riding it all year long.  It's sweet.  The vibrations aren't an issue.  There is heat coming off the frame, but nothing strange on this one.  I've taken several long day trips on it (10-12 hours), and I find I come back far less tired than I did on any of my previous bikes.  A couple weeks ago, I rode it up to Heather Meadows at the end of the Mt. Baker Highway where the ski lodge is.  I was really thankful for the ABS and stability control.  I hit numerous snow patches going up (and later down) and the bike stayed upright with no slippage.  Those little options were doing what they were designed to do.  It is incredibly flickable in corners.  And yet it is very stable also eating up miles on the freeway.  IMO, it is a great blend of "sport" and "touring".

And did I mention it weighs only 470 lbs?  Moving it around in the garage or a parking lot, is a breeze.  :)

Chris
Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
John 14:6