Author Topic: Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?  (Read 24942 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 08:00:49 pm »
Great info here... thanks and keep it coming!
Today I once more tried to reposition the speakers. I found one spot that was better. However the speakers were on the outside of the helmet liner and while I could hear better it didn't take long before the speakers were hurting my ears!
Clyde just today got custom ear plugs made at Beltone here in Morganton, NC. They are much softer than the other 2 pair I had made years ago. Also the have a hole through them and came with a bunch of tubes that are the decibel tubes that limit the amount of "sound" allowed past the ear molds. He uses the older SENA and say these plugs with the db tubes work well for him. I think he said like $160

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline JeffT

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW R1200 RS
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
Hey, Brick
I've use Ear-iris molded ear buds with my Sean's for about the last five years and love them.
Jeff

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:42 pm »
Hey, Brick
I've use Ear-iris molded ear buds with my Sean's for about the last five years and love them.
Jeff

Hi Jeff... Thanks
I googled Ear-iris and didn't get a direct match but some stuff with some combination of those words.
I guess the idea is to get something that fits and stays in the ear as you ride.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
S-plugs and Plugfones with Sena
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 07:49:07 am »
I used the same pair of S plugs for 2 years.  They work great, but are silicone and less comfortable than foam ear plugs.
http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

I recently switched to Plugfones (contractor yellow).  They have a soft foam earplug wrapped around the inner workings of an earbud.  I've used them once.  They are more comfortable and seem to work just as well.
www.plugfones.com

Both keep out wind noise and deliver music and voice clearly.  Both fit under helmet easily.  Only issue is managing the long S plug wires.  Next time I'd get shorter wires.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:07:53 am by doug mcpeek »
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 09:16:03 am »
I used the same pair of S plugs for 2 years.  They work great, but are silicone and less comfortable than foam ear plugs.
http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

I recently switched to Plugfones (contractor yellow).  They have a soft foam earplug wrapped around the inner workings of an earbud.  I've used them once.  They are more comfortable and seem to work just as well.
www.plugfones.com

Both keep out wind noise and deliver music and voice clearly.  Both fit under helmet easily.  Only issue is managing the long S plug wires.  Next time I'd get shorter wires.

Doug,
Very interesting! So in trying to understand both products it seems that the Plugup S actually have a driver or 2 drivers depending on what you order and the Plugfones look to be passive. Is this correct?
So if you recently switched do you still have the Plugup? Do they work?
Also I like the idea of Plugfones where you can change from silicone to foam covers and even have different colors for each ear. Am I reading this correctly? I didn't see that option on the Plugup.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 09:50:56 am »
The best I've found for the $ (any money, for that matter) is Etymotic Mc5 earbuds. 
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

I've tried custom molded (nearly $300 and dont isolate as well), The shure 215s (way too cumbersome under a helmet, and dont isolate well)

The Etymotics are small, dont interfere when puttin on your helmet, and isolate very near to the best foam earplugs.  And the sound is pretty damn good too....maybe just slightly less quality than the Shure's, but when you're at speed, the better isolation makes the MC5 sound better.

Only downside is that after a full day, they can be not quite as comfortable as custom molded plugs or plain old foam plugs, but not bad at all.  And for ~$60.....the best deal out there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:53:12 am by qman8 »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
More great info... does an assortment of tips come in the original package? How else do you know what works for you?

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 01:46:24 pm »
I'm wondering if earbuds would help me? I noticed that Norm Kern wears earbuds with his Sena 20S. Norm if you are on here I would like to hear your input on this.

Brick

Earbuds like the Skullcandy ones don't work for me- they fall out of my ears almost immediately. I like in-ear ear PHONES. Etymotic MC5 are the best I have found so far. They come with several earpieces, but the "Christmas tree" ones work the best for me. The MC5 are very small and insert into the ear canal. If the "Christmas trees" fit your ear canal properly, they knock out 30+ db of external noise and stay in your ear very well. They are super high fidelity and I can hear very well with them at low volume levels.

Both music and voice sounds the same as if you were listening to good speakers in a quiet room. MC5's are about $60 on Amazon Prime. https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494524115&sr=8-1&keywords=etymotic+mc5+earphones

If the stock earbuds don't work well for your ear canal, there are many aftermarket eartips on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=etymotic+mc5+eartips&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aetymotic+mc5+eartips

The cord and plug are very durable and the plug is angled so it stays plugged in very well. The earphones are small and go into the ear far enough that I can leave the Sena speakers in the helmet although I had to relocate them slightly.

The only problem I have is with sweat and earwax on warm days that make them dislodge easily after about 4 hours. To overcome this, I carry small alcohol wipes with me. Before each day, I clean the eartips with a wipe and dry them with a tissue. I also swab out my ear canals with the alcohol wipe to get rid of sweat and wax. On hot days I may clean everything at lunch as well.

Everyone's ears are different. Some will love my solution, others will not. Jeff Dolence has some custom molded earphones/earplugs. A bit pricey, but I may get a set some time and try them.

BTW, Brick, I have a spare set of new MC5s with me. Hit me up at Sparta if you'd like to try them.

Norm

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 01:52:17 pm »
Norm... excellent I would love to try them. Thanks!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 763375
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 01:54:00 pm »
I go through 4 or 5 sets of earbuds per year. :-[  Lose them, pull them apart or roll over them at the gas station. Or the wind just whips the cords to death. So I use Sentry brand, similar to Skull Candy but cheaper. I don't have a comm device. I either plug the cord direct into my phone to play music and hear rings and alerts or plug into my Mixit 2 mixer with the radar detector and or GPS.

I bought a set of S plugs at STAR one year for around $90 and they were lost before I got home. :helpme:

Read Norms post about the Christmas Tree style buds. I tried them - really weird! Not them, my ears! No sound unless I hold my mouth partly open...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:58:28 pm by NinjaBob »
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:23 pm »

I bought a set of S plugs at STAR one year for around $90 and they were lost before I got home. :helpme:

Too funny! You are a mess! LOL

Read Norms post about the Christmas Tree style buds. I tried them - really weird! Not them, my ears! No sound unless I hold my mouth partly open...

Now that IS weird!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline JeffT

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW R1200 RS
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 03:44:17 pm »
Hey, Brick
Jeff

Hi Jeff... Thanks
I googled Ear-iris and didn't get a direct match but some stuff with some combination of those words.
I guess the idea is to get something that fits and stays in the ear as you ride.

I got mine at barber a few year back and he made the mold there, I still have his info if you want it, I've have not had any issues with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »
Hey, Brick
Jeff

I got mine at barber a few year back and he made the mold there, I still have his info if you want it, I've have not had any issues with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff,
Thanks but I've had two sets made one at a MC show and one at an MSTA event. Both from people I knew. Both were so painful I couldn't leave a helmet on.
So no Thanks!
Brick

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 07:44:04 am »
David,

You might be surprised at all the spare/backup techie things I carry. Make me think of what the teacher would say when she caught me with chewing gum when I was little: "Did you bring enough for EVERYBODY?"

Norm

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 08:11:14 am »
David,

You might be surprised at all the spare/backup techie things I carry. Make me think of what the teacher would say when she caught me with chewing gum when I was little: "Did you bring enough for EVERYBODY?"

Norm

Yea... I got that too.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650