Main Forums > General Discussion

Helmet Styles and What is the Right Choice

<< < (2/3) > >>

stevegrab:
A simple tip over at no speed could result in an impact of your head with the ground that could cause plenty of damage without a helmet. One of my brothers slipped on some water making a turn at an intersection once, went down and hit his head. He was out when people came to help, without that helmet he is in far worse shape.

If I could guarantee I would not crash on a given ride I might consider going without some gear. But I'd feel naked without a helmet.

Ride4MS:
I totally agree with you Steve. This past week there was a news item on Minneapolis, MN TV where a teenager was riding his bicycle and hit a pot hole, leftover from winter and he fell. It did not say what he hit. But he died from the head injuries. He did not even have the unlucky experience to be in a coma or live on life support in the hospital. He died at the scene.

The parents are now encouraging everyone to wear a helmet with their bicycles.

Spring is finally here in Minnesota. That means many Police Departments give away bicycle helmets to young kids.

Ride4MS:
I just read the information below about helmets on LinkedIn. WOW! Looks like you can't even trust the helmet makers to do the proper testing and label helmets correctly.
I thought I would pass this on to everyone so that they do some good research when purchasing a new helmet to make sure it meets the certification that the helmet maker is claiming. And it looks like the only way to make sure it meets those standards is if you have proof from an outside source that certify the helmets, such as Snell Foundation. If not, you might be buying something that is not worth putting on your head.
See also the link at the end of the article.
Carl

The most recent data available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that the number of helmets labeled as DOT certified but have failed to meet the FMVSS 218 performance standards is even higher than previously thought. A significant number of helmet test reports from CY2019, as well as for CY2017, 2018 and 2020 recently added to the NHTSA database increased the failure rate. Overall, nearly two-thirds of the added reports told of helmets that failed to meet the FMVSS 218 safety standards on physical performance. There is a more than four in ten chance that helmets labeled as “DOT Certified” with no other certification, will not protect the rider to the level required by the FMVSS 218 standards. What’s worse is the fact that even if a helmet passes the FMVSS 218 performance requirements, it won’t provide the same level of protection as helmets certified to Snell Memorial Foundation, ECE 22.06 or FIM standards. There is a way consumers can improve the quality of their head protection. Check it out here: https://lnkd.in/guiWitWX

tunerider335:
Really good information.  Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSU55:
I will only wear a full face helmet. I've had 2 crashes over my 55 yrs of riding that would have ground my face off with on open face. Photo of one of them below.

A modular may well have held up to this crash, as there wasn't much impact, just grinding, but I want my helmet off when I stop anyway. I just don't trust the modular type.

As for certifications, you can find descriptions of all the different tests, etc., but you might want to watch this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yu124i3Bo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version