Author Topic: Group Riding Thoughts.....SIZE Matters!  (Read 576 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Group Riding Thoughts.....SIZE Matters!
« on: June 10, 2024, 04:49:55 PM »
Group Riding, MSTA Sport-Touring Style 2024.....from the desk and mind of club President Norm Kern.

As I've said many times, sport-touring riders view motorcycling as a skill-based sport. That doesn't mean they are particularly interested in racing or competition, but rather look forward to a challenge and enjoy practicing and developing their riding skill. It's not about simply riding a fun, challenging road, it's riding at a brisk pace, getting in the "zone" of total concentration on a capable motorcycle. While some prefer riding alone, most of us enjoy riding even more with some friends, so I will discuss group riding from a sport-touring perspective.

Before we get into what's different about sport-touring group riding, consider group riding in general. Most riders think of it in social terms, trying to be as inclusive as possible to encourage participation of new or inexperienced riders and embracing a welcoming spirit of "the more the merrier." These are noble goals, but they don't serve the needs of sport-touring riders for several reasons.

First, welcoming all comers to a single riding group invites large disparities in riding skill. This compounds "the slowest common denominator" problem where the slowest rider necessarily determines the overall pace of the ride. The choice becomes going slower or making frequent stops to wait for slower riders. In a sport-touring group, these "catch-up" stops repeatedly break riders' concentration, eliminating the opportunity for them to get into "the zone," one of the main things sport-touring riders look forward to on a ride.

In the same vein, large "more the merrier" group size increases the frequency of stops for gas, bathroom breaks, etc. Then there's the logistics of trying to stay together going through towns with traffic, signal lights etc. Trying to lead a large group and keep it together is stressful and often does not work for sport-touring groups.

One of my friends got so frustrated with large groups, he just threw up his hands and declared, "From now on, I'm riding alone. That way, I can go where I want, at the pace I want, stop wherever I wish and not worry about pleasing anyone else." Nevertheless, we went riding for a weekend. We got along great, but it was because I let him lead and make all the decisions about where to go, when to stop, etc. Always doing what someone else wants to do doesn't sound like any more fun that poking along in a large group, but it points to the MSTA answer to the group riding dilemma, which is:

WHAT IF you had a few people to ride with and they all happen to like the same types of roads, the same pace and style of riding, like stopping for breaks around the same time and like the same kinds of places to eat? Even though all of you are riding as a group, everyone gets to do pretty much exactly what they want!

That sounds great, but how does it work out when you have a group of 20-100+ people who want to ride? First, the large number of riders makes it more likely you will find one or a few who are very compatible with what you like. Second, rather than trying to get everyone to ride together, they simply sort themselves into small "common interest" riding groups of compatible riding styles and preferences. That's exactly what we do at Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA) rallies.

Another advantage of small groups is that everyone doesn't have to leave at the same time or ride the same route. In fact, a wide selection of suggested routes is one of the great features of MSTA rallies. Choices include twisty routes with smooth pavement and “technical” routes that use county roads with less than perfect pavement that take you to beautiful back country. Other choices include destination routes that feature scenic attractions, parks, places to eat, touring bike-friendly routes and simple navigation routes for casual pace riding. There are even dirt and gravel routes for dual-sport and adventure riders at most rallies. All routes are compiled by members that live in the area, know every single road and how to string them together for non-stop fun. They are offered in GPX file format.

In addition to route choices, MSTA rally attendees themselves offer a wide range of personal riding styles and interests. Most are regular sport-touring riders, but you will find riders in full leathers on pure sport bikes and riders of ADV bikes of all sizes riding both pavement and adventure routes. You'll also find Goldwing riders, some Harleys, Can-Am Spyders and even a scooter or two.

Contact Forms:

Regular MSTA rally attendees quickly get to know each other's preferences and self-select into small groups of two to about six riders and many ride with a different group each day. That's great for regular attendees and those who know other members well, but what about newcomers? For them, we have the MSTA Find Riding Partners system and form that you will find at many of our rallies.

Here's how it works:

1. Circle your riding preferences on the form- It takes less than a minute. Add whatever contact information you wish at the bottom. Leave your form on the stack of completed forms for others to see.
https://flybyweek.com/ridingpartners.html

2. Browse other riders' forms and use your phone to take pictures of the ones you want to connect with for easy reference.

3. Connect- Don't wait for someone to contact you.....be proactive!  Call, text or email others you're interested in riding with.

4. Network- You will have ample opportunity to meet and get acquainted with others at rally registration and evening social functions. If you are new or looking for people to ride with, introduce yourself to other attendees and tell them what you're looking for. Some rally volunteers and club ambassadors fill out the forms as well so you might find and experienced club member to ride with!

You can get help any time by asking one of our volunteers “MSTA Ambassador volunteers. Just look for the Ambassador ribbon on their membership badge.

MSTA members are generally safe and responsible, so you'll be riding with someone who wears gear, has a lot of riding experience, and a bike that's insured and in good repair. MSTA members also avoid adult beverage consumption until the bikes are put away for the day, so you're always in good company!

not all that wander are lost