Author Topic: I'm excited!  (Read 3919 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
I'm excited!
« on: July 06, 2024, 11:34:15 am »
I'm prepping for the ride over to the Big Lynn Lodge next weekend for the rally there, and I'm getting EXCITED. That weekend will be the July anniversary of being struck by a distracted driver while at the 2023 BLL Rally and spending 3 months in a hospital ICU/a rehab hospital/at home restricted to being in bed.

In October 2023, I was finally given permission by the surgeon who reconstructed me to start "slow progression weightbearing as tolerated. Continue range of motion as tolerated active and passive." Prior to this experience, I never imagined it would be such a thrill to walk (even with assistance) down the steps in front of my house, to the mail box, and back. But it was!

But even better, the next week my therapist asked what I wanted to do that day. So I admitted what I really wanted to do...put my leg over a motorcycle. So we walked down the steps (still with assistance), around to the garage, and pushed one of the bikes outside. With the therapist giving me some support (neither of us wanted me to land on the ground), I slid one leg over a bike. Having not been sure for 3 months if that would ever happen again, you would be correct if you thought I had a silly grin on my face.

I started walking each day with a walker, progressing to a cane, and finally walking without any extra support. My daily treks expanded from going to the mail box to a hundred yards and back, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and more. After 2 months of daily walks, I finally stretched out my distance to 2-3 miles daily. But I still wasn't riding. And it was now early January and the weather was challenging (not much snow, but it was COLD). If I was going to ride again, I'd still have to do it the right way....ATGATT. And my flexibility was still challenged. Clambering in and out of an Aerostich plus insulated gear still seemed daunting.

On a more pleasant day in February, it was finally time. I pushed a bike out of the garage, did my pre-ride check, and spent a significant amount of time donning my gear. It was finally time and I mounted the bike. I pressed the starter and was pleasantly surprised that it started after having sat for over 6 months with little attention. I rode all the way around the block (near 1/2 mile) and decided that was a good start and good enough for the first day. I sure didn't want to drop the bike far from home and find I couldn't pick it up.

Around that time, Roger White was putting together a group of folks to head out to Redmond, Oregon for the BMW MOA rally in June. If I needed some incentive, that seemed to be it. I registered for the event and started planning. I had purchased a 1993 BMW K75S one week before the accident the previous year, but I hadn't ridden it yet. Roger had picked up the bike for me while I was in the hospital and had ridden it a few miles, but it was still in his garage. It was time for it to come home. Roger rode it over to my house and I drove him home. Over the next few weeks, I rode the K75S several times along with giving some attention to the rest of the fleet. (I'm badly afflicted with MBS-Multiple Bike Syndrome.)

I'm now back from Oregon and excited to attend my first MSTA event in a year.

The K75S turned out to be a good travel companion. I find the rock-hard Corbin saddle on the bike to be pretty comfortable. The previous owner installed a set of bar risers...i'm glad. I misjudged the number of miles left in the tires before heading to Oregon and had to have them replaced in Utah. And like many folks, found that replacing tires on a vintage bike can be challenging. I wouldn't have thought that to be the case, but I have learned better now.

I have to thank the members of the MSTA for their support during my recovery. Phone calls, cards, etc., all helped. And the financial help that was given was also a godsend. The person who struck me was a single parent, had the bare minimum insurance allowed in North Carolina, had a low paying part-time job, and lived in a rental unit. That person was doing the best they could, but it wasn't enough.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 763375
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Re: I'm excited!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 12:12:07 pm »
Awesome recovery story Geoffrey!  :trink39:
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 01:47:41 pm »
Thank God for small (easy for me to say) miracles. So glad to read that ride report. But let me get this straight, you RODE to Oregon ??? As in the state of........all the way there and back?   Good on you Sir!!!   Yes, this group gives amazing inspiration.    TM

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 05:56:12 pm »
As a group, we averaged around 350-400 miles daily. However, after sitting in Utah waiting for the replacement tires to arrive, I knocked down closer to 540 miles one day to catch up with "the gang". I was happy to be riding with the group, but it felt pretty darned good to go out and ride a couple of days at MY pace (faster or slower with more or fewer stops).

Our group started out from Tennessee at 9, but dropped to 8 when one decided he wasn't comfortable with the daily distance when we got to Colorado. Another rider dropped out after getting a tire replaced at the same place I did in Utah. We made it to Oregon with 7 (except when I was waiting on my tires and the group was then 6). One rider's honey flew out to Oregon and they decided to do some sightseeing in her rented car. So when we started back, we were 6. In Nebraska, 2 of the guys decided to head for a big road and get home. We finished up the ride with 4. I have to say one of the things that has always attracted me to the MSTA is our habit of breaking into small groups. They are more manageable and can be a bit more flexible with the pace and logistics in general.

Total miles for the trip was between 6500 and 7000 miles spread out between 6/2/24 and 6/25/24. Other than when sitting in a motel over a weekend waiting for fresh tires to appear, I rode ever day of that period with no serious aches or pains.

And now I'm looking forward to riding to other events including STAR in TEXAS!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 11:24:43 pm »
Good on you my friend!
2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 07:10:23 am »
Looking forward to seeing you at the RCR!
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 07:33:48 am »
Looking forward to seeing you at the RCR!

:-)
Geoffrey Greene

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 03:55:02 pm »
I'm so happy that you are able to ride again! When I saw on FB that you were on that Oregon ride, it definitely put a smile on my face.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon, probably at RCR!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 06:10:25 pm »
I'm so happy that you are able to ride again! When I saw on FB that you were on that Oregon ride, it definitely put a smile on my face.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon, probably at RCR!

I'm looking forward to being there!
Geoffrey Greene

Offline ladtodt

• Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2024, 06:44:05 am »
Geoffrey--I am SO impressed by your story! Your determination mixed with your compliance with rehab is mind boggling. YAY for you!! :trink39:

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 09:03:47 pm »
Denise and I just got back from 8 days in Alaska with our 2 Grandsons, and a few times we saw some cycles with out of state plates and got us thinking about you and your long hauls. We also talked to a husband and wife on bikes from Germany when their bikes were parked next to our SUV. They told us a story how they always wanted to travel the U.S. on a cycle and finally were doing it.
The weather for them, was not perfect, as the last week of June was very hot and then rain and some fire smoke near Denali. But, we lucked out with good weather for us all 8 days.
Again, glad you are back to riding more than a few miles at a time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 11:02:27 am by Ride4MS »
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 08:55:35 am »
Thanks to all for the continued encouragement. As little as 6-7 months ago, I wasn't sure I'd be riding this year...or maybe not at all. With my ride to TriSTAR in May, the BMW MOA Natl Rally in Oregon in June, and the Big Lynn Lodge in July, I'm really feeling pretty normal...or as normal as that can be.

Now it's prep time for River City, Fall Colors, STAR, and maybe more.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2024, 12:10:00 am »
Congratulations and well done!  Wishing you much continued success in riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure