Main Forums > The Garage

Better Batteries?

<< < (3/3)

OldButNotDead:

--- Quote from: RIDEMYST on October 10, 2014, 08:07:00 am ---Not trying to make a u-turn on this thread but any problems with cold weather starts on the lithium batteries? -JEP-

--- End quote ---
Yes, but you need to know the drill.  Take a look at http://shoraipower.com/faq. The LiFePO4 batteries have a high internal resistance in cold weather. There is plenty of juice in the battery, getting it out is the problem.  Some people put a battery warmer around the battery, similar to a heated grip but one that doesn't have a high current draw.  Some people just leave the key on with the lights on for a few minutes on cold mornings. Sounds counter intuitive but like I said, it does have plenty of juice.  Advantages- very light weight, doesn't drain fast (no real need to leave on trickle charger).   Disadvantages- expensive and cold weather starts may not be instantaneous.

banjobart:
I use Bikemaster Trugel batteries, about $99 for most bikes on Ebay. I have never had a failure. It is important to use a battery Tender for long life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version