Author Topic: New GPS  (Read 18596 times)

Offline Steveinfl

• Forum Member
Re: New GPS
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
I have an older Nuvi  765 which I think you can still find on Amazon. It has stereo Bluetooth but the best feature is that it has a headphone jack which I use to connect it to a J&M system through a Mix-it2 which also connects audio from my radar and phone. I've used it in some heavy rain without issue and it costs a lot less then a Zumo. You can not make calls with it though using the Bluetooth connection. You have to be connected by Bluetooth to the phone for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
I have an older Nuvi  765 which I think you can still find on Amazon. It has stereo Bluetooth but the best feature is that it has a headphone jack which I use to connect it to a J&M system through a Mix-it2 which also connects audio from my radar and phone. I've used it in some heavy rain without issue and it costs a lot less then a Zumo. You can not make calls with it though using the Bluetooth connection. You have to be connected by Bluetooth to the phone for that.

Yep, did those same connections with a Mix-It 2.  Works fine. I was hoping to get away from wires, but Garmin makes you dig to find the capabilities of the Nuvi.  Want you to by a Zumo.   Only the newer Zumo's implement BT so you can give commands to the phone and GPS. None of the Nuvi's will work with a Sena or Cardo pair like a headset which is what you need to give commands. I've ridden with GPS for about ten years without listening to the babe in the box give me wrong directions or asking me to recalculate. Just started listening to her the last two years I'm not sure if I liked it all that much.  So for those who love that 4.3" screen, I'm happy for you.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Nomadmax

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
After my 2820 went south I decided to look into the Zumo series. The 660 LM is not the newest model, therefore the prices have come down considerably. Right now they are available for $449 with lifetime maps. My son and I have both gone to that model and like them very much. I use the bluetooth and MP3 player streaming to my Cardo Scalarider G9 in addition to the other tricks it does and I have had mine in some very heavy rain with no problems. Still more than a Nuvi, but reasonable enough that this tightwad finally got one.

I had an old Zumo 550 and frankly the screen was weak.  Is the 660LM visible in sunlight?

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »
After my 2820 went south I decided to look into the Zumo series. The 660 LM is not the newest model, therefore the prices have come down considerably. Right now they are available for $449 with lifetime maps. My son and I have both gone to that model and like them very much. I use the bluetooth and MP3 player streaming to my Cardo Scalarider G9 in addition to the other tricks it does and I have had mine in some very heavy rain with no problems. Still more than a Nuvi, but reasonable enough that this tightwad finally got one.

I had an old Zumo 550 and frankly the screen was weak.  Is the 660LM visible in sunlight?

The Zumo 660LM is hard to see under certain direct sunlight lighting conditions.
A lot of people use the glare stomper sun shade.
The Zumo 590LM is supposed to be easier to read in direct sunlight but costs much more than the 660.

Doug

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
My 660 with Glare Stomper works well for me.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
You know it's nasty outside when I start delving into such stuff, but I found a couple of interesting links below. These are the type of links that usually leave me with large headaches!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863174&highlight=nuvi

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/238209-gps-options-opinions-2.html

It looks to me that GPS selection and routing options are an endless thread! Syd
Touringman

VersysRider

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
You know it's nasty outside when I start delving into such stuff, but I found a couple of interesting links below. These are the type of links that usually leave me with large headaches!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863174&highlight=nuvi

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/238209-gps-options-opinions-2.html

It looks to me that GPS selection and routing options are an endless thread! Syd
The more modern version of a tire or oil thread...No single set up works for everyone.