Author Topic: TomTom Rider  (Read 21951 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
TomTom Rider
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:24:32 AM »
I saw this unit demo'd by a vendor at Bike Week, in a word, impressive.
I have always been a fan of Garmin units primarily because you can pre-plan and upload your routes.
Now it looks like TomTom now has that feature that is about half the price of the high end Garmin motorcycle units. -JEP-
[size=78%]http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/motorcycle/products/index.html[/size]

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: TomTom Rider
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
I'm interested in hearing about the demo Jim. I've been watching Tom Tom for some time, and the Rider has shown steady improvement over the years. The newest is the Rider 5 I believe, unless they have something brand new this year. If you do a little searching, you can find a better price than $399 also. I saw them advertised almost a hundred dollars cheaper than that at one time this past year. It works well with Tyre to Travel, a mapping and routing source similar to Basecamp. I would have bitten long ago, but am afraid I would not be able to convert route maps for the events to work in the Tom Tom. If someone can solve that problem, I'm on board! The curvy route feature would be fun to play with. Make sure that you are buying and pricing the 5, as the older ones aren't nearly as good. Syd :)
Touringman

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Hmm... I'll have to see it to believe it. But does sound good.

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »

Oops, the TomTom I posted was not the newest :-[
Here is a review of the upcoming model. -JEP-
http://www.visordown.com/product-features/new-tomtom-rider-motorcycle-gps/26144.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:56:36 AM by RIDEMYST »

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Now THAT looks good! Is the retail still supposed to be $399?
Touringman

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »
The guy that did the demo indicated that it would still be in the $400 range. -JEP-

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
Jim,
I think the retail price will be $499
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
Isn't there a Tom Tom Rider giveaway here on the MSTA site for members??? Is that the same one?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
I'm interested in hearing about the demo Jim. I've been watching Tom Tom for some time, and the Rider has shown steady improvement over the years. The newest is the Rider 5 I believe, unless they have something brand new this year. If you do a little searching, you can find a better price than $399 also. I saw them advertised almost a hundred dollars cheaper than that at one time this past year. It works well with Tyre to Travel, a mapping and routing source similar to Basecamp. I would have bitten long ago, but am afraid I would not be able to convert route maps for the events to work in the Tom Tom. If someone can solve that problem, I'm on board! The curvy route feature would be fun to play with. Make sure that you are buying and pricing the 5, as the older ones aren't nearly as good. Syd :)

Lets hope the software works better than Basecamp!  Basecamp wont even work with either of my GArmin units...WHY?  Because i do not have the latest maps installed.  What a joke...its even worse than Apple/Itunes!

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
 there is currently a 50.00 online rebate, and the unit is on sale at 399.99 at Motorcycle-Superstore.  Good the whole month of March.
not all that wander are lost

VersysRider

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »

Lets hope the software works better than Basecamp!  Basecamp wont even work with either of my GArmin units...WHY?  Because i do not have the latest maps installed.  What a joke...its even worse than Apple/Itunes!
You can download a free version of Tyre here:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

I believe it works with GPS' other than TomTom. It was programmed and is supported by an avid motorcyclist.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »
I downloaded Tyre long ago, and have experimented with it quite a bit. It is easier for me than Basecamp, and I have downloaded routes from Tyre that were created for Mapsource and sent to us for various rallys. My Nuvi 500 and the nuvi 1490lmt that I've been playing with accept these maps readily from Tyre. The caveat is that the mapsets may not match Mapsource exactly. It requires a number of waypoints to keep things in focus. That creates a problem because Tyre will only handle a limited number of waypoints per route. This necessitates splitting routes into two or three segments sometimes. Tyre is constantly improving, and is projecting the imminent release of a Tyre mapping app for cell phones and tablets (yahoo). Now that TomTom is handling routes in gpx format, it's possible that Mapsource routes could be loaded directly to the new Rider. I don't know how this would work with Basecamp? I'll leave this up to you guys who are sharper at this than I am! I may go for this new Tom Tom. Tyre handles both GPX and whatever that other  type is. Syd :) :)
Touringman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
I'm not absolutely sure Pat, but I believe the one m/c superstore is advertising is the 5 model, not the brand new one that Jim is talking about. It seems to be still in the introductory stage. I haven't been able to find the actual unit for sale yet. Syd ;)
Touringman

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
Yes the one Jim saw in Daytona isn't due out until April and I'll admit it does look interesting.

Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
That could be why they have the rebate out.....wanting to clear out the old before bringing in the new?
not all that wander are lost