Author Topic: Another New Guy  (Read 8141 times)

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 20,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200 GSW
Another New Guy
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Hello everyone.

I found a reference to this group on another forum I frequent, so I decided to check it out.  It looks like you guys have a lot of things going on!

The post that I saw mentioned the STAR rally in La Crosse this summer.  I was checking out that forum and even looked at some of the routes. I think that they are very impressive.  Very cool! 

I ride a 2013 BMW 1200GSW.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and maybe even sharing a ride sometime.

I actually have a free website (and I really hope I don't step on anyone's toes here) that offers pre-planned, paved routes (very similar to the routes you have posted).  My routes are all in the Driftless area and several are in the La Crosse region (hitting some of the same POI as the STAR routes).

My website, DriftlessRoadAdventures.com also provides .gpx and .kmz file downloads for all of the routes.  Currently I have 20 routes available covering over 5,000 miles of awesome roads.  I have 13 more routes semi-finished and hope to have them all done in the next few weeks.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to exploring this forum some more.

Dale
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:11:49 PM by Daleah »

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: Another New Guy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
Welcome Dale. I think you will find that you have come to the right place. The members here are riders!
What forum did you see the reference to STAR? It may have been my post (I ride a Super Tenere).
Regardless welcome aboard and looking forward to meeting you in La Crosse. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
I actually saw the reference on the Concours Owners Group forum.

I'd say there are some riders here.  I just looked at the mile logger.  There are some pretty incredible (to me) numbers there.

Thanks for having me!

Dale

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »
Welcome Dale.  Assuming you have a Connie...what year?  I had a 1st year (1986) model for many years and sold it on the COG site a few years back.  Great bike!  I’m looking forward to STAR and getting a chance to explore the Driftless area and to meeting people from the area.  We have lots and lots of other events going on besides STAR too.  Our “regional” rallies are some of the best get togethers for motorcycle RIDERS that you will find anywhere.  You should check them out.  I look forward to reading your contributions to the forum.

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
Actually, I ride a bmw 1200GSW.

I was on the Connie site because someone from that site posted a link to my website and i wanted to check it out.  I pop in there about once a day to see if there are any questions for me.

I think I'll be on this site quite a bit more.

thanks

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »
 Welcome Dale! I have a Connie and I am lather on ther COG site. I saw the post about the Driftless routes and got,  pretty excited, since I will be there.! MSTA and COG have plenty more high mileage riders than show up on the mileage logger site but they are too busy riding to update.  ;D
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »
Welcome, Dale!  You have a pretty cool website there, thanks for the link.

I hope to meet you at STAR.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
Hi Dale, and welcome.

Where are you located?

I am based in Dayton, OH and go to most of the MSTA rallies. Hope to meet you soon.

Norm Kern

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
Welcome!  Look forward to seeing you on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind welcome.

I am actually located in Davenport Iowa, about a hour or so south of the start of all of the routes. 

I grew up in southwest Wisconsin, so I'm pretty familiar with most of the roads up to the Viola / La Farge area.  I have spent less time further north of that, but enough time to find some neat roads and the desire to find and ride some more.

I'll have to look at the timing of STAR, we are planning several trips for this summer, but we need to work around some other plans.

I have another route almost ready to post and I'm going to try to get another ready so that I can put 2 more up Sunday or Monday night.

Regards all.

Dale

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
Hello Dale,

We hope to see you at STAR.  This is the closest location that STAR has ever been to our area, MN, Iowa and WI.  Once you attend a STAR, you will feel like my wife and I after attending our first at Springdale, ARK, 3 years ago,  "Wish we had gone sooner".

We have a lot of great happenings planned for riders and non-riders.  You can see some of those in STAReview as well as on the forum.  If you have a question on anything, please let me know and I will answer it.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »
Thanks Carl. 

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
Special Thanks to Paul Strubell of Dirt Orcas for this great write up:

https://dirtorcas.com/exploring-the-driftless-area-with-driftlessroadadventures-com/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:53:20 AM by NinjaBob »

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »
We over 20 routes designed for STAR this year, if anyone decides to stay a few weeks, they can always use some of these routes.  Some overlap with our designed routes, but, once you ride in the Driftless area, you will never get bored even if you ride the same road many times.  Or, you can always pick your own route.

I know many of the roads on that link and they are all great also.

You will love this area for riding as it is so different from other parts of the country.  The topography is so different from anywhere else is what makes it so interesting.

See everyone soon, less than 6 weeks.  If you have not registered yet, do it before Early Bird Registration ends and the fee goes up.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline Daleah

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »
One of my all time favorite roads is just outside of LaCrosse.  it is Wisconsin Rustic Road #26, otherwise known as County MM South of Highway 14, East of LaCrosse.

Its not particularly long, but it climbs up and around the bluff from the valley to the top.  From the top you can look back and see the Mississippi River.

Of course there is always the Mindoro Cut.  I believe I saw that road on a few of your planned trips.

I don't know if anyone will go to Sparta, but if they do, i have a great recommendation for pizza.

Dale