Author Topic: Partial Closure - AR 23 - The Pig Trail  (Read 14695 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Partial Closure - AR 23 - The Pig Trail
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
I'll add this since I don't see some of this mentioned. The MSTA events like STAR require you to be a member of the MSTA, pay dues and be current on those. You can join at the event, and some events (I think including STAR) offer a 1 year membership when you register for the event as a new member (so no extra cost to you).

The events are somewhat loosely organized, there are no big club rides with 100 bikes or more. If you come by yourself and want to ride or socialize with others, try to be outgoing and talk with other members. New members are usually identified on their name badges or wrist bands, so you'll be easy to recognize and people will reach out to you. But like any group of people, most tend to hang out with those they know. Meals and tire kicking are a great opportunity to introduce yourself (wear your name badge).

Most detailed information about our club activities past and upcoming are conveyed via our national newsletter/magazine, STAReview. Some of that may also be here on the web site, but access to some of that is limited to members only.

If you like to ride, whether a sporting or casual pace, ride responsibly and wear protective gear, you'll probably have a great time. If you're looking for guided tours or the next big biker gathering (Sturgis, Daytona, etc) you won't find that at our events.

I hope all considering attending STAR (or any MSTA event) will. In my view after about 15 years in the club it is the best way to get to know what we are really about. The website, magazine, attending a local meeting or breakfast doesn't quite give you the same exposure as a rally, especially our national one (STAR) where you can interact with many people from all over the country. (Maybe even some of our members from outside the US.)

Diane,
Thanks to you and the other volunteers working to make STAR a better time for new and first time attendees. I was lucky like many members to be brought along by existing members when I attended my first rally. I knew what to expect, and had my group to ride and socialize with.

PS  This is the first I'll miss since 2008, hopefully I'll be able to make the next one. I had heard good things about the riding there, so sorry I cannot make it. Will have to make do with a 6 day trip the week before with my brother Richard from Michigan, riding all over OH/WV/VA.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »
They have reopened one lane, southbound, of the pigtrail.
They have installed temporary traffic lights.

CASS  (KFSM) -One lane of Arkansas 23 was reopened this week after a hill slide in May forced a section of the road north of Cass to be closed to traffic.

The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department closed 3.2 miles of Arkansas 23, known as the Pig Trail, when both lanes cracked on May 20 after the ground underneath them slid out following days of heavy rain.

Since then state crews have stabilized the southbound lane, opening it to traffic on Thursday (June 11), according to a highway department news release.
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »

The Pig Trail is closed again due to more heavy rains !!

A portion of Arkansas 23 in Franklin County was closed Tuesday after a landslide made the lanes impassable, according to a news release from the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department.A slope supporting the roadbed on the east side of the highway, located north of Interstate 40, continues to slide and has caused large cracks to form in the travel lanes, rendering both lanes impassable, according to the release.That section of Arkansas 23 will remain closed until repairs can be made, which may take several weeks. A more definitive time frame will be announced once the highway department’s engineers have had an opportunity to further evaluate the slide, the release states.The slide location is the same that closed this section of the highway in May. It was just Friday that the Highway Department announced that a single lane on the scenic road known as the “Pig Trail” was reopened.The affected area is about 19 miles north of Interstate 40 and 5½ miles north of Cass. While only 700 linear feet of roadway is impacted, the closure includes 3.2 miles of Arkansas 23 between the south end of the Mulberry Mountain Lodge and the north end of Fly Gap Road, according to the release.A detour route has been established and electronic message boards have been placed to warn motorists of the closure at various points along the highway and on Arkansas 215, which intersects Arkansas 23 at Cass, the release states. - See more at: http://arkansasnews.com/news/arkansas/pig-trail-closed-again-landslide#sthash.SGRNHrGM.dpuf
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
 We tried to get through today but it was completely closed.
The slide was just south of 16 so we had to take the LONG way to Eureka Springs. :(

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk