Author Topic: WeekDAY rallies?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Skee

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2019 Versys 1k
Re: WeekDAY rallies?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 11:10:22 AM »

Not a bad idea IMO, but might be hard to schedule. Most of our rallies are 2 weeks apart

I was not thinking that existing rallies would be re-scheduled (or re-located).  Many people - myself included - plan their schedules well in advance based on anticipated events.  (For example, Fly-by Week is typically late August - I met you there (or somewhere) while I was riding with a different group.  Moving that date might screw-up someone who left some slack time in their vacation schedule for it based on historically anticipated date, if you know what I mean.  I missed a Spring meet with another group this year because it was 3 weeks later than normal, and I had already made other plans.  That hurts attendance.)

Rather, I would suggest planning a pre- or post event coupled to an existing rally.

For example, this year's Fall Colors is in Lewisburg WV.   There are several locations within 1-day's ride (let's say 350 miles, e.g. Johnson City TN or Maggie Valley NC) where a mid-week meet could be scheduled.  That allows someone who attends both to ride different areas at each meet, while allowing someone who can attend only one an opportunity to ride in an interesting locale. 

Obviously would take some coordination.  Schedule the existing weekend meet first, then add the new event.

Right now, I gotta believe existing event meet coordinators are hating me - deservedly so - I know how much effort goes into planning a simple weekend - I've planned several group meets and it is not as simple as it seems -  I empathize with their concerns.  So might allow the 2 different events to be planned by 2 different coordinators. 

If this sounds like I'm volunteering; I might later next year.  I'm very new to MSTA - I have no understanding of how this organization works - I apologize to anyone whose toes I might have inadvertently stepped-on.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 01:29:32 PM »
Skee

You’re not stepping on any toes, don’t worry.  I do think that the events would probably need to be organized by different people.  Most of our rallies happen on well established dates and just looking at this year’s schedule and projecting it to next year one should have a pretty good idea of the 2023 schedule. Like I said, they generally happen every 2 weeks, with the exception of June.  June has traditionally been when our National event (STAR) happens. Although it’s not forbidden to do so, so far as I know there have been no local/regional rallies scheduled during that month in the past. At least none that were in the same area and at the same time.  We generally encourage coordinators to not schedule their event at the same time as another event, however sometimes that does happen.  Generally though the events are several hundred miles apart when that does happen.  For example with Fall Colors in West Virginia and ByWay Boogie in Arkansas. Same time, but 500+ miles apart.
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 01:44:51 PM »
I just looked it up and according to the Dept. of Labor…..35% of all full time workers in the US work WEEKENDS.  My friends, that’s A LOT of people.

Are we missing an opportunity?
We are probably missing many opportunities. That statistic is a bit surprising to me, mostly since I've been an office worker for almost 35 years and know many others in similar jobs. I do know some who work weekends too, just not a lot.

Nobody is saying "don't do it" you asked for input and we gave it to you. It would have been helpful to know from the beginning that there is already demand for it, and maybe even the potential to add some week day events already being considered. (Sounds like a weekday event in fall would be perfect for you and some others you're hearing from in KY.)

As for weekend commitments with sports, I used to have Browns season tickets and remember how that blocked off about half the weekends for 4 months. Of course by November I wasn't riding much. (YMMV in northern KY.)

Skee,
I just read your post, I doubt anybody here or anybody planning an event hates you, or took the idea that negatively. We're just old and often set in our ways, and for many of us with weekends off those rallies are ideal, requiring only 1 day off (maybe 2-3 depending on distance and days you want to spend at the event). A weekday event means 2 more days off for the same time at the event (3 vs. 1).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Skee

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2019 Versys 1k
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
I used to plan my personal vacation travel around weekend meets.

It's actually become harder to do that now that I'm retired. 

Weekday meets fit a different demographic.