Author Topic: Email Listserv (Mailman) misconfigured?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline wengland

• Administrator
    • Will England - Photography
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A
Email Listserv (Mailman) misconfigured?
« on: March 26, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »
Hi!
When I try to send a help command to msta_members-request@ridemsta.com I get a 'no such user found' bound.
When I try to visit the list info page at
http://ridemsta.com/mailman/listinfo/msta_members_ridemsta.com
Mailman displays an error page, noting "No such list msta_me..."
Not sure who set this up or is in charge of it, but they may want to look at it.  Had a comment on the FB page about it and I've seen a couple of mails go across wanting to be unsubscribed.
Thanks!
Will - FB Admin.

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
Re: Email Listserv (Mailman) misconfigured?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
I am seeing the same errors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:55 PM »
Bob has taken the list down.  It was never meant to be set up the way it was.  He had initially set it up as a way to email the link to the SR to members.  He wasn’t aware at that time that it was going to allow people to post up responses.  The biggest problem there was that every message came to him and he had to approve it before it would go out to others....what a hassle for him!  He asked me if it would be OK to axe it and set up another way to get the SR link to members and I said sure.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Kevin

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2017 R1200GSA
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
I liked the list, and thought it could help the club grow.  I wouldn't want Bob to have to approve all the emails though. I did see some people commenting about wanting the emails to stop and thought why didn't they just block the email. I'm sorry to see it stopped.

PS, I DON'T DO FACEBOOK.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
Part of the issue may have been people not realizing that their response would go to everybody, along with the many "I'm here" type of responses that were just causing clutter.

I like the idea of an email list for the club, I'm old school and many others are as well. It is also what was referred to as "push" technology where the messages get sent to every person who is subscribed. Both this forum and Facebook and many other things are "pull" technology meaning you need to actively log onto some site, and look for the information. Even with notifications and ability to follow certain discussions it just isn't the same. But it has to be used properly, and people need to be informed on what was going on with the list, how to use it etc.

I had a feeling that something wasn't right with it and it would be quickly resolved. Bob does great work for the club, don't want to sound like I'm complaining.

PS  I also don't do FB and that applies to many members of this club. I also know people who are on FB who say they don't use it much, others spend lots of time there daily.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
While I do check this forum daily, and comment on posts from time to time, I must tell you that it’s usage pales in comparison to the amount of usage the club sees on its Facebook Group page.  From the names I see there on a daily basis, I would say that there are a great number of dues paying members who are also FaceBook users, probably many more than most would assume.  Just as important, there are hundreds of others who have expressed interest in the club and sport touring, have signed into the group page, and communicate with the group daily, that are not dues-paying members. But , they are potential dues paying members and potential rally attendees.  They are our potential future, not our past.

(So far this year we have about 40 new forum members.  We had 35 people join the Facebook page last WEEK.   The FB page is up over 2000 members now.  Almost as many as the highest level the club reached at its largest.  Where would you say we are experiencing the most growth and have the greatest potential for getting new members?)

Club information is shared more easily, and more quickly, on the FB platform than it is on this platform.  The FB platform is much more mobile friendly.  It reaches out to a much larger audience than this forum does.  Forum usage worldwide is done, while FB, Twitter, Instagram, and other mobile friendly platforms are growing.

And something that non-FB users may not be aware of (I certainly wasn’t before I got on it a few years ago),  you can limit your interaction on it to just communication within the club group page if you wish.   You don’t have to set up communication or accept messages from anyone else if you so choose.

This forum certainly has its usages, but so does FB and the other platforms.  We need to embrace them and not distance ourselves from them.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:27:12 PM »
While I do check this forum daily, and comment on posts from time to time, I must tell you that it’s usage pales in comparison to the amount of usage the club sees on its Facebook Group page.  From the names I see there on a daily basis, I would say that there are a great number of dues paying members who are also FaceBook users, probably many more than most would assume.  Just as important, there are hundreds of others who have expressed interest in the club and sport touring, have signed into the group page, and communicate with the group daily, that are not dues-paying members. But , they are potential dues paying members and potential rally attendees.  They are our potential future, not our past.

(So far this year we have about 40 new forum members.  We had 35 people join the Facebook page last WEEK.   The FB page is up over 2000 members now.  Almost as many as the highest level the club reached at its largest.  Where would you say we are experiencing the most growth and have the greatest potential for getting new members?)

Club information is shared more easily, and more quickly, on the FB platform than it is on this platform.  The FB platform is much more mobile friendly.  It reaches out to a much larger audience than this forum does.  Forum usage worldwide is done, while FB, Twitter, Instagram, and other mobile friendly platforms are growing.

And something that non-FB users may not be aware of (I certainly wasn’t before I got on it a few years ago),  you can limit your interaction on it to just communication within the club group page if you wish.   You don’t have to set up communication or accept messages from anyone else if you so choose.

This forum certainly has its usages, but so does FB and the other platforms.  We need to embrace them and not distance ourselves from them.

I am not trying to say Facebook is not a useful tool for the club. Just hoping that like some of my own relatives that the only way to stay in touch with MSTA becomes FB, because everybody uses that.

When I talk about MSTA members that are not on Facebook I am talking about those people in my local area who I ride with, who attend rallies and such.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
Steve....

Not really sure what you’re trying to say there?  Anyway, my post wasn’t directed exactly at you, but at all members that are not on FB and just don’t realize how popular it is with people in the Sport Touring community.

Not only has the National MSTA FB Group page grown in leaps and bounds, but we also have several state groups that have set up their own group pages and are experiencing growth on them to.  Often those state groups have many more members in them, than we have dues paying members in the same state.   In addition, most owners groups have their own FB pages.  Included in that are groups for VFR’s, ST100/13000, Concours, BMW, and virtually every other make and model of motorcycle.  It’s not just FB is useful and popular, it’s that Forums are no longer popular and can’t do all the things that other platforms do easily.  However, our plan is to continue to make use of any and all communication and recruitment platforms that we can.  Including this forum, our website, FB, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.

We certainly can’t force any member to get on FB, but I will say that by not doing so they are missing a lot of interactions with fellow members, and non-members,  that they might otherwise have engaged in.

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
Sorry, but I have to ask. Who is Bob and what is the SR?
Fred Z.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 07:06:33 AM »
Fred Z.

Bob Chappiaus...webmaster and forum administration
SR....STAReview

Offline Falcofred

• MSTA Member
  • Any excuse to ride
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250 GS HP
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 08:08:21 AM »
Error Icon
Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to Msta_members@ridemsta.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.
The response from the remote server was:
550 No such person at this address."

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Msta_members@ridemsta.com
Cc:
Bcc:
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 08:05:38 -0400
Subject: HOW DO I STOP THIS EMAIL?
John Friedrichs, MSTA Member 1471RG here. I didn't sign up for this email, but cannot seem to be able to stop it. Links provided to stop, don't work, emails returned as invalid.
I went to the forum and looked in my profile, can not find where I can stop this. I get enough email.

Please advise
John Friedrichs Aka Falco Fred
2020 BMW R1250 GS
2018 Husqvarna 701SM
2005 Suzuki DR650, the Mighty DR

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »
Fred Z.

Ninja Bob to you Paco  :trink39:
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »
Error Icon
Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to Msta_members@ridemsta.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

Cc:
Bcc:
John Friedrichs, MSTA Member 1471RG here. I didn't sign up for this email, but cannot seem to be able to stop it. Links provided to stop, don't work, emails returned as invalid.
I went to the forum and looked in my profile, can not find where I can stop this. I get enough email.

Please advise

When did you last receive an email from the list?

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
Error Icon
Address not found

Cc:
Bcc:

Please advise

When did you last receive an email from the list?

I received 7 new messages this morning Saturday March 28, 2020
So obviously the Email Listserv is still sending out messages
Interestingly they were dated March 24
Doug
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:44:55 AM by dpippin »
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks Doug, that’s what I needed to know.