Author Topic: Remote Suspension Tuning--Best $80 I've ever spent on a bike.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline copdocpvd

• Forum Member
I've wanted to get my suspension tuned since I bought my Kawasaki Concours14 6 years ago and never was able to find someone in my area qualified to help with the settings (everyone I talked to just said "oh, you're too big, the only option is a complete fork re-build" when all I wanted was someone to help me change settings.  I had read half a dozen posts on here and the forums with steps to follow, but it all seemed really intimidating to me, so I just wanted someone to help me set the bike up.I stumbled across Dave Moss Tuning at https://davemosstuning.com/, and saw that he does "remote suspension tuning" using video chat/facetime.  I signed up for a 30-minute, $80 session.I gave Dave my weight and riding style info so he could calculate some baseline settings to start off with, and had an in-person session with him in my garage.  He looked at my tire wear, suspension travel, rear sag and asked about tire pressures cold and warm and in what ambient temps.  We made BIG adjustments to the front (I'm 6'1, 270...NOT the 150 pound rider that Kawasaki sets these things up for), and both settings on the rear (hell, I didn't even know there was a screw for adjustments on the bottom of the rear shock).  A zip tie on the front shock to measure travel as I ride the bike was next. A couple rides, sending him pics of the tires and fork travel and telling him about cold and warm air pressure changes during my rides, and we made additional adjustments, including changes to my cold air pressure based on how much tire pressure changes on my spirited rides.What a HUGE difference.  The thing rides on rails now, I don't have any issues with the rear end feeling squirrelly on uneven pavement, and my self-confidence has gone up immensely, making rides exponentially more fun.  I ground off half an inch on my peg feelers this weekend, grinning like a madman on a route that previously made me nervous.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:12:22 PM by NinjaBob »

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Remote Suspension Tuning--Best $80 I've ever spent on a bike.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »

Cool...that much improvement for that little cost has got to qualify as unicorn status.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:59:16 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 05:52:18 PM »
That's great news but everything has it's limits. Not to be a smart arse, only a concerned citizen, i wouldn't push it too much as a big oops can happen quickly. I'm glad you're happy with the money well spent. It's like taking a night course for a little further education. www.suspension.edu.   :^)

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:38:24 AM »
Money is never wasted spent on suspension upgrades!
Steve