Author Topic: Barber Vintage Festival  (Read 6680 times)

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
Barber Vintage Festival
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:06:37 AM »
This years event for me was totally different in that I was pretty much forced to fly to the event due to my work schedule the following week. Had the opportunity to head out with my buddy Bob Wentzell on Friday arriving around 2:30pm at the track picking up my credentials and heading over to see my Trials riding friends. Checked out the Trials loops and took a short ride through the pits then went downtown Friday night for a few drinks and some Southern Fried Chicken:). Saturday Bob was competing in Observed Trials so I followed the action. Congrats to Bob (who was the defending champion) for finishing in the upper half of his class and to Chicago Jerry for winning the Cross Country 60+ class on-board the 250 Penton. I bought an original gosh darn nice and almost ready to compete on 1974 Penton 250 a few months ago and the owner delivered it to the track where Chicago Jerry made room to bring it back :) I am looking forward to trying my hand at off road riding instead of Road Racing next year.  Spent time with Trials Bike Importer of Sherco's and Scorpa's Brad Baumert. Here's a guy who owns three companies and is the largest importer of Sherco and Scorpa trials bikes and he took third in the Vintage Trials Class! How cool! ! Spent some time with the Brittens, John Brittens legacy is well intact and it was great speaking with his wife and watching the Brittens on the track! I made a point of seeking out Malcom Smith and spent some time with him and had a great interview that I will play tonight on the show. I don't often seek autographs but purchased a Bruce Brown "On Any Sunday" sign and had Malcom autograph it. Such a legend.. Saturday night it is customary to head back to Birmingham where we had dinner at Texas De Brazil . If you've haven't ever ate at this place it's a must do.

Sunday went to the Swap meet, watched the racing, visited in the pits and finally went to Bass Pro Shops. As a guy who dipped a rod or two it's like heaven there! Everyone of my friends were off heading back to their home state by 6pm Sunday so Bob and I left the track went to Birmingham and watched the movie Everest. It is based on John Krackauer's (spelling?) book, "Into Thin Air". A climbing expedition that went terribly wrong resulting in major loss of life, in fact one of those men still is frozen near the peak  and cannot be safely brought down.

Had dinner at our Hotel which was the Holiday Inn at the airport and turned in getting ready for an early flight back which was crowded but thankfully uneventful. Along the way I meet some new cool people, many first timers and to a person they said they were coming back.

Barber is the Mecca of motorcycling in America, and I hope many of you who haven't visited this track, museum and facility will mark you calendars for the second week in October and God willing.... I'll see you there!

Wardie

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: Barber Vintage Festival
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »
That is always a fun event. We did a MSTA Just-for-Fun at that event a few years back and had a great time. Maybe it's time to do another? -JEP-

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Barber is a great track, with a great museum, and the Vintage event is always a great time.  Hope to be there next year.  Wardie.....nice right up.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
Each year I say I'm gonna go and well... here is another year I didn't!  :-\

Next year!  8)

;)
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
I didn't get to go this year, but I've been the previous 2 years. I had a good time watching the vintage trials and cross country competitions.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
Barber is a great track, with a great museum, and the Vintage event is always a great time.  Hope to be there next year.  Wardie.....nice right up.

Jim I would love to be a part of an MSTA gathering at Barber.
Wardie

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »
Jim, I vote for your idea.
Let us hope that falls on the correct ears!
Steve
Steve

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
Good write up Larry, of course with press credentials you get some privileges that us simple visitors do not.

I've been twice now and really enjoyed, 2007 for AMA roadracing where I met my brother and two of his friends then last year for the vintage event. I really enjoyed the museum and I hardly have the decades long history that many in the MSTA do riding and owning these bikes. The track is a first class and the weather is usually great compared to NE Ohio that time of year.

Riding there wasn't in the cards for me being that events were in April and October, not the time of year I want to set out on a 600+ multi day ride. (I'm no Iron Butt rider, I prefer my days twisty and hilly and in the 300 mile range, 400 max.)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Paulie

• Forum Member
  • Paulie
  • Primary Motorcycle: '97 Conc
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
The ~780 mi days up & back were ~14 hrs of sit there / twist that, but I got r dun. I'd been to the museum befo, but this was my 1st x at the vintage fest. Hot diggity dawg, that was a hoot & a half!  :D

Any scoot I'd ever even hurd of, shazam, there's 1 parked. The amount of crusty olde junque at the swap meet was pretty funny. Camping was decent tho there were too few showers.

My fave dealio were the laps on the track. And that was BIG fun, I tell ya whut.  8)