Author Topic: STAR 2018 Location...where to go?  (Read 46052 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: STAR 2018 Location...where to go?
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »
I think the originally propsed guidelines (by PatMo, ipnman, etc.) for a single hotel, 200 rooms, banquet hall for 350-500, on site restaurant with hot breakfast, hotel lounge/bar, .....  is pretty well established. Not saying we cannot discuss it, but there's a reason this has been used for years and is the basics of what we need for STAR. Changing that to spread out to many small motels means no banquet facility, and people spread out all over to various places for meals and socializing. Not to mention something like a Honda Demo team works better with one big place with everybody.

I've been to over 10 STARS in my 15+ years and virtually every one stuck to that arrangement, and we were not limited in where we went (Lexington twice but different hotels, Avon a few times at the Christie Lodge).

As for the roads, we need decent to good roads, and things to see and do, not the twistiest bit of tarmac around. I can ride twistier roads in SE Ohio on a day ride than we had at Stratton, or in Avon, but its the new places, the parks, monuments, and other things that add to the experience of a STAR and a true vacation somewhere new or different. I saw scenery out west I can never see in Ohio, and traveled through some very interesting places on the way to Stratton, and Fort Ticonderoga was really cool (wish I had another 3-4 hours there).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
As for the roads, we need decent to good roads, and things to see and do, not the twistiest bit of tarmac around. I can ride twistier roads in SE Ohio on a day ride than we had at Stratton, or in Avon, but its the new places, the parks, monuments, and other things that add to the experience of a STAR and a true vacation somewhere new or different. I saw scenery out west I can never see in Ohio, and traveled through some very interesting places on the way to Stratton, and Fort Ticonderoga was really cool (wish I had another 3-4 hours there).

Agreed, scenery and places to visit are something I'll remember forever from this past STAR. Walking through Fort Ticonderoga was just an incredible experience that sent chills up my spine several times. We rode about 10 minutes in the rain at the end to get there, and I was thinking "Man, this sucks." and it was barely raining. But after going through the place, I would have gladly ridden a couple hours in the rain for that experience. Bring on the new locales, I'm ready for more STAR tripping.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
Richard, I don't want to burst your bubble but ......(I'm going out on a limb here....) I don't think that you personally will top this year's STAR. ;) -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »
Richard, I don't want to burst your bubble but ......(I'm going out on a limb here....) I don't think that you personally will top this year's STAR. ;) -JEP-

Maybe not but I doubt he stops buying raffle tickets ;)

I said to him that night in the hotel room "I'm sure you feel this way, but I feel like this whole STAR trip has just completely changed for me."  And that was before he knew he'd be riding the bike home.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »

Maybe not but I doubt he stops buying raffle tickets ;)

I said to him that night in the hotel room "I'm sure you feel this way, but I feel like this whole STAR trip has just completely changed for me."  And that was before he knew he'd be riding the bike home.

Yes Jim I know. Will be really hard to top this STAR, but looking forward to trying. And yes Steve, you did make that comment and glad it had a positive effect on you. As for continuing buying tickets, it is something I definitely plan to do if for no other reason than I don't want to see the Raffle Bike giveaway go away. Everyone should have the chance to know that exhilaration at least once in their life time.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »

[/quote]

Yes Jim I know. Will be really hard to top this STAR, but looking forward to trying. And yes Steve, you did make that comment and glad it had a positive effect on you. As for continuing buying tickets, it is something I definitely plan to do if for no other reason than I don't want to see the Raffle Bike giveaway go away. Everyone should have the chance to know that exhilaration at least once in their life time.
[/quote]

I agree and that's why I'm going to win the Africa Twin at STAR next year. ... Oh wait they didn't tell y'all yet did they?!?!

Oops!

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »

[/quote]

I agree and that's why I'm going to win the Africa Twin at STAR next year. ... Oh wait they didn't tell y'all yet did they?!?!

Oops!

Let's Ride!
Brick
[/quote]
If next year's bike were to be an Africa Twin, I wouldn't mind at all. I might even bump up the number of tickets I purchase. I think I can make room for one of those in my garage even if I have to sell something else.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
STAR 2018 Location...where to go?
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
Quote from: HawkGTRider
[/quote
If next year's bike were to be an Africa Twin, I wouldn't mind at all. I might even bump up the number of tickets I purchase. I think I can make room for one of those in my garage even if I have to sell something else.

Whoa! Read this very carefully! That is the best recommendation ever from Geoffery... For him to sell a bike!!! Amazing!

Let's Ride!
Brick
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by Brick »
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2016, 12:24:05 AM »
What can I say? I test rode one in Vermont...I liked it!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »
^^^^ Me too. I could definitely find room for one of those and I too would buy more tickets.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
^^^^ Me too. I could definitely find room for one of those and I too would buy more tickets.

I liked the Africa Twin demo...with the exception of the excessive vibration at the handlebars at higher RPMs, and the stock luggage they had looked REALLY low quality.

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
Just south of Nashville,TN, near Franklin on I-65. Central Time zone, south central to SW TN area. Embassy Suites. It's only 15 miles from the famous Loveless Cafe and the northern end of the Natchez Trace Parkway,(NTP) which btw, is the best, most curvy and scenic portion of the NTP.

There are many good roads between I-65 and an area that stretches from there, west to the Tennessee River. Basically in an area bordered by I-40 to the north, AL and MS to the south, I-65 to the east and the TN River on the west.

The best roads that come to mind are : NTP, TN13, TN99,TN 128, TN28, TN100, TN203. I led some LA riders up there last fall and all agreed the roads were fun.
Just something to consider...
Tino
I was on that ride and think it would be a great spot!  Could Corithn handle us again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:19 PM »
Corinth....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott