Author Topic: Dakar 2022  (Read 3054 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Dakar 2022
« on: January 22, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
If you're further behind than me in following the Dakar 2022 rally, spoiler alert...don't read any further.

Among the top 10 places, I was pleased to see Honda taking 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th places. KTM has been a powerhouse in recent years, and they got 3rd, 9th, and 10th. Yamaha had a fine representation bringing 4th and 8th. And the number 1 surprise for me was Great Britain's Sam Sunderland riding a GasGas for the number 1 spot!

Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: Dakar 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 09:39:06 AM »
That'll increase sales for GasGas. Not in my garage however, but good for them. I'm also glad to see Honda do well.  Speaking of racing, It's 42 days until the Daytona 200, AMA/MotoAmerica Superbike racing is returning to the 200. 56 days until Spring.

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:42:11 AM »
It was very nice to see they expanded the coverage to an hour. Having said that, there are still too many clips of the same activity. I also wish they were able to lock in a time every day, I had to search everyday to find the time.
Yes, it was good to see all the americans entered this year!

Steve
Steve

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:57:54 PM »
Was Sunderland on an Electric GASGAS, or 4 stroke or 2 stroke?  I tried to looking on the GASGAS site, but it does not say which bike he was piloting.

I don't know the rules for this race.  Maybe they don't even allow electric yet.  And if they did, would they allow quick change batteries?  Or, like we did until 2 years ago in Formula E Racing at NYC, they would Practice, then Qualify two cars and about half through the 45 min race, come in and switch cars.  The current generation of FE cars will last the whole race.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 10:34:35 PM »
You do know that GASGAS is owned by KTM.
KTM bought GasGas in 2019
They also own Husqvarna
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:13:30 AM »
Was Sunderland on an Electric GASGAS, or 4 stroke or 2 stroke?  I tried to looking on the GASGAS site, but it does not say which bike he was piloting.

I don't know the rules for this race.  Maybe they don't even allow electric yet.  And if they did, would they allow quick change batteries?  Or, like we did until 2 years ago in Formula E Racing at NYC, they would Practice, then Qualify two cars and about half through the 45 min race, come in and switch cars.  The current generation of FE cars will last the whole race.

As far as I know, the GasGas was a 4-stroke...definitely not electric. Audi had 3 hybrid-electric cars in the event. While Carlos Sainz got lost one day adding ~2 hours to his time (not due to the car), Stephane Peterhansel suffered massive suspension damage and sat in the desert waiting nearly 4 hours waiting for a support truck to arrive (not due to the drive train.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/03/hopes-of-dakar-victory-dashed-for-audi-rs-q-e-tron-but-it-isnt-the-electric-drive-that-failed/

The Audi cars were very cool to see.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline DRB

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 09:29:03 AM »
Gasgas is owned by KTM now.  The GasGas team, along with the Husqvarna team, are just extensions of KTM.

The best part this year was 3 Americans in the top 10.  Skyler Howes would also have finished int he top team if it were not for injuries he suffered in round 6 or 7, I think.  Mason Klein was the highest finishing rookie and a raising star.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
Thanks Geoffrey for the link.  That was very interesting.  I like seeing those technical systems, which is why I have worked the Formula E races.  The technical side makes up for the loud V-8 sounds.  In 2019 I worked at Pit In, which was also at the last corner on the front straight.  As the cars accelerated down the front straight, just a few feet from me, they sounded like the Storm Troopers from Star Wars.  A much better sound than the 1st Generation cars.

With all of that said, I did not buy a Mustang Mach E last year, I got a Mustang Mach 1 with 5.0L, V8, 480 HP and active exhaust.  That means it has 4 levels of sound; Quiet, which is quieter than Denise's '06 Mustang GT with V-8.  Then there is Normal, Sport, and of course Track, all can be changed on the steering wheel controls.

Quiet is used to back out of the garage and go down the street to not annoy the neighbors with the raw HP.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »
His and Her's Mustangs

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »
Thanks Geoffrey for the link.  That was very interesting.  I like seeing those technical systems, which is why I have worked the Formula E races.  The technical side makes up for the loud V-8 sounds.
<snip>

There are a number of other sites discussing the Audi vehicles, but that one seemed like the best combination of race experience and technical info about the cars.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 06:13:39 PM »
Here is an article that some of the KTM model s have been purchased by a Spanish company I never heard of.
https://motocrossactionmag.com/gas-gas-saga-continues-now-rieju-buys-the-spanish-made-off-road-line/

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 06:39:01 PM »
By the way here is a picture of the Gas Gas I had for a few years. I sold it because it kept putting me in the ER.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 12:53:34 AM »
By the way here is a picture of the Gas Gas I had for a few years. I sold it because it kept putting me in the ER.

We have a fairly active community of trials riders in this area, which I find pretty amazing. Then again, just an hour away in Sequatchie, TN is the Trials Training Center. I think I can continue to get better at riding in an off-road/adventure environment. But I don't think I'll EVER get any good at trials riding. The good guys doing that sort of thing are riding GODS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:58:27 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
"I sold it because it kept putting me in the ER."

The reminds me of 1977 when I was at Mankato Honda as Service Manager, for cycle, autos and power equipment, Honda had a close out sale on MR250.  I bought one and learned the hard way by going out in the woods, hills and rivers with some fellow co-workers that a few were off road racers.  They had me cross a river and when I got to the opposite side, and tried to make the steep bank, it came over on me and we were both under water with the bike on top of me.  Not sure what would have happened if they had not pulled it off of me.  The other guys also had trouble with the steep bank.
When I got home, a sore knee turned into a big gash that needed stitches and the surgeon sewed sand inside and I got a big infection that put me out of work for about a week, not being able to walk.

That is only one of the incidences that I had with the MR250.

I kept if for another year and someone in the shop wanted it and it was gone to a happy home.  In the meantime Denise found a used CB350 4cyl, and I also got back to street bikes.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 12:01:59 PM »
In my teenage years my dream was to become a motocross champion. Roger Decoster and Brad Lackey were my heros. I only rode dual sport bikes from 1970 to 1980.  But in 1974 I lost the vision in my left eye. I really enjoy off road riding but the lack of depth perception makes me ride like a grandma. But the Gas Gas had so much torque  I could not restrain myself. Power wheelies in 4th gear! We have three acres of woods with a ravine running through it. I  made a pretty technical trials section and was getting fairly good and having a blast until late on afternoon I caught a root with my front wheel and got pitched into an embankment landing on my left shoulder. The shaft of my humerus was jammed a quarter inch into the head. Our small town ER did not have an Orthopedist available and just put me in a sling, gave me demerol and told me to see an orthopedist the next day. By the next day the break had set but was in good alignment so we just let it heal that way. So my left arm is a quarter inch shorter than my right. The Gas Gas stayed in the woods for several days until a riding friend came and retrieved it for me.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT