Author Topic: using Google maps to check Basecamp routes for potential roadblocks  (Read 2673 times)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Some of you may know this trick but I learned something new on the Zumo users Forum. I  and my riding buds spend a lot of time planning our routes with Mapsource and/or Basecamp but sometimes a wonderful route runs into a road closure and none of the many Garmins I have owned have been very good at recalculating a suitable route. TYpically it has sent me into a horrible traffic jam our way out of my way. Frankb on the Zumo Users Forum posted a tutorial on how to export a route from Basecamp into Google maps where you can create a map of your route and turn on the traffic layer which will show current traffic slowdowns and road closures.

Here is a link to the post where you can read a summary and download a pdf tutorial with screenshots
https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1965
I have made maps of my two day route to Knoxville and discovered a section of the Natchez Trace I am planning to ride is currently closed until May 31st. In case the reopening is delayed I hve made an alternate route segment and will check the map the day before I depart.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Good tip!
not all that wander are lost

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
Good tip!

However;
If you allow the GPS to recalculate then your have quite a mess.
Always create and load a track of the route your going to navigate.
If you run into a road closure while following a route you created with Basecamp do not allow your GPS to recalculate
Find your way around the roadblock and watch the GPS for the track and or route until you're back on the route.
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/