Author Topic: Route Index  (Read 29916 times)

Offline Woovis

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '04 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
Re: Route Index
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
Aha! Yes, that's the tip I needed...Thanks!
--
ride often, ride well...
-Woovis-

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
In Basecamp, using different route profile settings causes routes to calculate differently. If you have customized the profiles, that virtually guarantees calculation differences. Best to keep it simple and use the most common standard profiles.

When I scrubbed the road routes, I used the Automobile driving profile. For ADV routes, I used the Dirt Biking profile.

Many people try to use the Motorcycling profile because "that's what I'm doing!" You will have a very difficult time getting routes to calculate properly because the Motorcycling profile avoidances include
Interstate highways
Major highways

Mapset used was City Navigator North America NT 2019.1

Norm Kern
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:36:09 AM by normkern »

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
Between this and other issues with my new as of yet untraveled Zumo 660 I expect to be getting lost a lot :) Sounds like I'll have company.

Leaving Ohio shortly for Michigan, then the trip starts for real early tomorrow AM.  See lots of you in LaCrosse in about a few days.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline allonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
This is something I have learned in Colorado back in 2012 from Norm.
I always create a route from a track. Unlike a route, track doesn't take into account the maps it was created on.

Tracks were generated and matched to the intended route and included in the route files with the intent that users use the tracks to generate routes to prevent different mapbases and routing preferences from causing problems.

That is a good tip!  :trink39:

Offline naustin

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2018 Multistrada 1200 Enduro
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 04:48:59 PM »
So do you create the route in Basecamp, and then upload to device.  Or, do you use basecamp to upload the track to the device, and then have the device itself create the route?

Offline Ray916MN

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
So do you create the route in Basecamp, and then upload to device.  Or, do you use basecamp to upload the track to the device, and then have the device itself create the route?

Right click on the track in Basecamp and click on "Create Route from Selected Track"

Make sure the route matches the track. Click on the route and then upload it.

If your route preferences and settings on your GPS don't match the settings you use on Basecamp, you want to disable recalculation on your GPS unit to prevent it from potentially altering the route you've uploaded.

Offline garyfourman

• MSTA Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
OK, from http://36000bph.com/STAR/Open%20Route%20Index.pdf by .zip I've pulled down the .gpx files and .pdf's of the step-by-steps.  Rather than doing them one by one, is there a .zip or a "bulk folder" to pull down all the maps at once?  Thanks, Gary F.

Offline Ray916MN

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »
OK, from http://36000bph.com/STAR/Open%20Route%20Index.pdf by .zip I've pulled down the .gpx files and .pdf's of the step-by-steps.  Rather than doing them one by one, is there a .zip or a "bulk folder" to pull down all the maps at once?  Thanks, Gary F.

Links added to allow the route descriptions and maps to be downloaded as zip files for Street, ADV and Lunch groups.