Author Topic: Sport Touring Association Rendezvous Locations MAP (Work in progress)  (Read 5836 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Sport Touring Association Rendezvous Locations MAP (Work in progress)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 09:24:22 AM »
Hi Bob,

I have done the same thing for locations of each STAR in Google Earth for all of the STARs that I have attended. I've attended every STAR since 1989 in Wakefield Michigan. I've looked at some of the locations on your map and have a couple more that you can update.

STAR '89 was at the Indianhead Mountain Big Snow Resort lodge just outside of Wakefield, MI, which is very nearly at the extreme western tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The rally site was a couple miles west of Wakefield, on the north side of US-2. The resort is still going today and can be seen in the satellite imagery. Here is a link to Google Maps showing the location https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en. Bruce Bradford was the organizer of the rally. Honda was there that year with a trailer full of PC800s, promoting it as a great sport tourer perfectly suited to HSTAers.

STAR '97 was at Lake Eufaula State Park at the resort. The resort is no longer there, but you can still see the parking lots in Google Maps. They show up as roads, and they are clearly visible when you zoom in in the Satellite imagery.
To find it, from the town of Eufaula, go up US-69 across the reservoir to Hwy 150, then go west until you come to a sharp right turn to the north. There you will find Megan Bell Blvd, which goes south from the turn, and becomes the parking lot for the lodge.
Someone else told me that the lodge actually closed about 2 weeks before STAR that year, but they reopened it for the week to honor the contract that had already been signed for STAR. It closed again after we left, and was demolished about 10 years later.
Here's a link to Google Maps where the lodge was located https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en

:)
Wow Keith, that is a lot of consecutive STAR events attended.

FYI the two links you posted are identical, both showing the Lake Eufala State Park location.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 07:13:58 PM »
I want to make note and meant to say something at STAR...... but I didn't see Jim Girton, Kansas or Gordon Kemmerer, Colorado this time. They are  L   O   N   G time attendees and I hope all is well with them. TM

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2022, 08:50:56 AM »
I want to make note and meant to say something at STAR...... but I didn't see Jim Girton, Kansas or Gordon Kemmerer, Colorado this time. They are  L   O   N   G time attendees and I hope all is well with them. TM
Jimmy had an accident at the Bull Shoals rally. He has had a long road recovering but we hear from him every once in a while.  I always enjoyed riding with him….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure