Author Topic: 2020 TriSTAR  (Read 9022 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
2020 TriSTAR
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:19:17 PM »
In case you're wondering, we're still on hold for determining if TriSTAR will be held this year. As of this past weekend John, the Alleghany Inn's manager sent me this info...

"We are open to essential travel right now, the county has a ban on non essential travel until the end of April, it could be extended.  We are hoping this will be way in the rear view mirror by Memorial Day weekend.
We are thankful you are keeping you options open but certainly understand if this needs to be canceled."

We hope the county and state find things going enough in the right direction to relax their restrictions. Restaurants need to be given the green light to re-open...I'm confident they'd ramp things up as quickly as possible. We can't expect people to eat cheese and crackers for every meal for a weekend.

I still have my room reserved and have my fingers crossed for better news. Hopefully, we'll get good news by the first week of May.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:23:11 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
Re: 2020 TriSTAR
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
If we get the all clear sign Tim Mullins and I will be there.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline 09FJRrider

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 80000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha FJR 1300
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
I have a room reserved and am hoping COVID is determined cleared up by then, please keep me posted.
Rides:
Current: 09FJR1300 & 07XL883R
Previous: 87FJ1200 & 01FJR1300

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
I have a room reserved and am hoping COVID is determined cleared up by then, please keep me posted.

Keep checking here for a final determination...hopefully by the end of the first week of May.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
I figure that as long as the hotel is open, I’m coming.  I’ve got no problem with carry out food and eating in the parking lot or in front of my room. 
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
I'll give one word of advice, if you're going to travel by motorcycle during a time when places have many businesses (like restaurants) closed you will have a harder time finding restrooms. Not sure if restaurants doing only carry out will have them open. Gas stations with a good size convenience store would be better options, also some parks may have bathrooms that are open. I've been doing a lot of hiking in our parks during the crisis (had 2+ weeks furlough time from work) and noticed initially that many bathrooms were closed, then they either put in some portable toilets (which park staff don't need to service) or re-opened a limited number of bathrooms. One park I stopped while riding yesterday had the one side of each pair closed, and the other side open but with a "for emergency use only". Well if I got to go, and there are no other options around, that to me is an emergency, only other option is to go in the woods.

I saw a few people picnicking in one park I was at, most of the picnic tables were gone, I sat on a bench, some others sat on some stairs.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
Tri-STAR is a GO!!!

Per John, the manager at the Alleghany Inn...

Glad to hear ya'll are still coming, we've been pretty lucky here so far.  Most restaurants remained open for carry out or drive through, not sure they will open for dine in until June.  That's up to the State, there is a lot of push to open them up so we will see.  I think that if you still want to cook out or cater we may just have to have everybody go back to their rooms to eat.  It's wait and see at this point, it would be good to support our restaurants as they have suffered.  Currently I have suspended coffee service in the lobby and only allowing one person in the lobby at a time.  With your group we may ask everybody to give us an approximate check in time and confirm credit cards so we can pre check them in and just hand them a key when they get here.  Our window that we usually close at night is closed all the time now, we are using the tray to give keys.  Also, trying to email as many receipts as possible.  The tricky part will be housekeeping that weekend, I suspect many of your guests may not want service to limit exposure.  We are being safe but it is hard to maneuver carts and keep social distancing.

There is a web site with more info...see the following:
http://msta-se.com/tristar/

If you guys would like to have a cook out Friday night, let me know when you get a chance. If there's enough interest, I'll get food, we'll drag out the grill and take donations for dinner. As noted above in John's message, it might be better that after you get your food, you take it back to your room area (inside, porch, parking area, etc.).

Give the Inn a call and get your room reserved asap. While it hasn't happened the last couple of years, we have had years when the Inn sold out every room.

See you in Sparta in a few weeks.

Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
Enjoy it for those who are going, and be extra safe.
Steve Grabowski

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »
TriSTAR is ON! I spoke with the Alleghany Inn today....they have reservations for about 1/2 of their rooms but more are being taken each day. Don't wait...better call and make your reservation asap.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:38:36 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 06:43:23 AM »
I would love to join you but the timing isn't right. I would need a day or 2 extra and it's already spoken for at work. I'll look in to going to another even, I'm still in for STAR and have time to go to Bull Shoals after. So there is your warning.
Looking forward to it.  Ride safe everyone.  TM

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 12:10:25 AM »
I know it's still a week away, but the weather forecast Memorial Day weekend for the northwest corner of North Carolina is looking very promising. Right now AccuWeather is predicting lows each night around 60, highs around 80, and little, if any, precipitation. I know there's plenty of wet stuff around other areas, but Sparta is looking good!

If you want to come, please give the Alleghany Inn a call asap. Room rates are a reasonable $70-$75 (plus tax). GPS routes are available via a link on the website.

See you there?
Geoffrey Greene

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »
Tim Mullins and i are planning on it!
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 12:00:17 PM »
Well this sucks but Mullins and I are pulling the plug on Tri Star due to weather.  I don't mind some rain as long as it not all day or days on end.  This looks to be both over the course of the 4 days.  I was really looking forward to it too.   
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »
The weather forecast for last Saturday at T-32 in NW Arkansas was terrible for Saturday. But most riders saw little to no rain along with some wet roads in places. I wouldn't be too surprised at a similar situation this weekend.

I hope everyone stays safe and makes the best decision they can. If it doesn't work out to come to Sparta, you will be missed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:35:12 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »
I know for me it isn't just the weather at the event location, but also on the trip there and back. If there is forecasts of rain every day over 50%, and you are traveling 400 miles (vs 200 or less for people in TN, NC, VA) that makes a big difference.

Couple years ago some rain in WV didn't look too bad on the way to Fall Color ride, then about half way it started raining, and never stopped, and got worse the point where our only choice was stop for the day in Elkins or take the only realistic route for several more hours in the rain riding into the night.
Steve Grabowski