Author Topic: Jim Nielsen Passes  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Mooose

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Ducati Scrambler
Jim Nielsen Passes
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:57:10 PM »
 Sadly I must report that Carl Nielsen's brother Jim Nielsen died on Friday, 8/19.Jim was riding his bicycle on the south side of Indy when he was struck from behind by a drunk driver.
Fortunately, a woman witnessed the accident, followed the driver home and then went back an reported the address and the license number to the police.
Jim and his wife, Robin as well as Carl are/were MSTAer's.
I'll post more details when I have them.

Here's the report that I just got from a TV station

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A bicyclist was fatally hit by a vehicle Friday evening on the south side of Indianapolis.
Emergency crews were called to the 2100 block of S. East Street, near Meridian Street and Raymond Street, around 7 p.m.
The bicyclist was pronounced dead on scene by emergency crews. He was identified Saturday as 60-year-old James Nielsen of Indianapolis.
An IMPD official said the driver, 24-year-old Joshua Stephens, initially fled the scene, but was later found and taken into custody.
Stephens was then transported for Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Hospital for a blood draw, standard  procedure in an accident resulting in a fatality, according to police.
Stephens faces preliminary charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death and failure to stop at an accident resulting in death.
Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 317-262-8477.
Mooose

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Jim Nielsen Passes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
This really sucks! My deepest sympathy goes out to his family!

Does anyone have a photo of Jim?

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Smaug

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »
Late reply, but maybe relevant.

I crashed in 2009 and broke my leg in 3 places. It really woke me up to the dangers of blind turns.

Anyway, after that, I gave up motorcycling for a couple years, and decided to focus on cycling. But before too long, I felt a LOT less safe on a bicycle, sharing the road with inattentive motorists going much faster than me...

Here, we lost Jim. Then, we lost Nicky Hayden in the same way. I would argue that bicycles are less safe than a well-ridden motorcycle, in many cases.

I never met him, but rest in peace anyway, Jim.
-Jeremy

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
:(

Deepest sympathies to the families.
not all that wander are lost