Author Topic: PIAA lights intermittent?  (Read 5766 times)

macpac

PIAA lights intermittent?
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Folks:
I have been running PIAA lights for about 2 years on my '05 ST1300 with no complaints (installed by previous owner) and I have them on all the time during daylight riding.  They have gone out, but the PIAA switch shows green (they are wiring to come on with hi beam).  I took off battery cover and tried to find a loose connection but didn't find anything.  Tried again with just switch and engine off and they worked great. I drove 5 miles or so and they went out again. Now they won't come at all even engine off.  PIAA switch shows green so I guess the problem is somewhere between that switch and the lights??
Any suggestions as to where to look would be much appreciated.
Signed - in the dark (macpac).

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: PIAA lights intermittent?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »
I have a set of PIAA 910s on my ST1100, but I don't think I can help (I have someone else do my mechanical stuff...especially electric). My knowledge of electrical stuff is limited to knowing that electricity is dependent upon keeping the smoke inside the wires. Once it gets out, stuff doesn't work anymore.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

macpac

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »
Geoffrey - thanks, I believe I will consult the pros.
Bill

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
There should be a relay between the switch and the lights.  Find it and look for damage and /or blow it out with compressed air if its not totally sealed.  THat relay will be connected to a power source point...trace that down and make sure its a good connection.  Once you pull apart the connections, put Dielectric Grease on the connection before putting it back together.

Good Luck.

macpac

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »
Thanks much. I'll work on it.

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
Did you have any luck fixing this problem MACPAC????

Offline copdocpvd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
I had the exact same problem with piaa lights a few years ago, if I yanked on the wires going into the light itself, it'd fix the issue.  Disassembled everything, nothing looked or felt loose, kept having the problem.

Contact PIAA customer service/warranty at http://www.piaa.com/store/pg/13-Warranty-Policy.aspx

even if you're beyond the 2 year standard warranty, they may be able to help you