Author Topic: New-to-me 1992 Suzuki DR350S  (Read 7160 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
New-to-me 1992 Suzuki DR350S
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:26 AM »
I don't really have a question...just feeling my way through something new to me.

I've been watching my good riding friend Randy Logan on a DR350S since, well, forever. And based on what I've seen him do on his DRs, I'm pretty sure it's a capable machine. Randy has decided to take a hiatus from riding, and he called me a while back to see if I'd be interested in his '92 DR350S. Silly me, my immediate answer was yes!
Randy has ridden the bike once or twice in the past few months in his neighborhood, but the day I went to pick it up, we couldn't get it to idle off the choke. We got it good and warmed up with the choke on, but as soon as the choke was eased off, it would die. No amount of throttle blipping would keep it running. Trailer time.

The DR is now in my garage after having spent a few days at my local mechanic's house getting its carb cleaned and a general inspection. It now idles just fine, and I've ridden it a couple of times. I've heard these bikes can be a bear to start when hot (and maybe not all that easy when cold), and the day I rode it downtown for some errand running, I found that to be the case. Then again, maybe it's just this noob's lack of technique. I hope to stumble on the right sequence and technique soon.

Moving this bike around in the garage seems ridiculously easy. I have the GL1200 near the front so that it doesn't have to be moved far. Alas, that means moving it frequently. Since I'm used to shoving this 800-825# bike in and out of the garage, pushing the <350# DR350 around seems like a piece of cake.

This bike is REALLY tall for me with a 35" seat height. I'm 5'8" and have an inseam of about 31.5 inches. So even though I'm reasonably leggy for a guy my height, I'm able to only touch my toes to the ground if it's level terrain. The thought of being on uneven terrain is a bit daunting. Trying to raise and lower the side stand is unnerving as I have to slide all the over to the right to get more weight on my right foot. But I'm still barely able to get my foot out and away from the bike...making my two-wheel-and-a-foot tripod nearly a straight line. I haven't dropped the bike yet, but I feel it's just a matter of time.
The height of the bike also means I'm forced to stand on the pegs to start it. That's another contributing factor to being confident that sooner or later I will find myself on the ground with the bike on top of me.

I found a reference on a couple of web sites to a "Suzuki Height Control" that was added in 1992. I haven't figured that out yet, but supposedly that allows you to drop the seat height by up to 1.6". That might be enough to make a difference for me. If you are familiar with this, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

When I started into long-distance riding, I snagged an email address of IBWannabe (Iron Butt wannabe). Now, even after years of riding gravel roads and such on "adventure" bikes like a BMW R80G/S or an F650GS, I still consider myself to be a dirt bike wannabe. The DR gets me a little closer equipment-wise. Now I have to get closer skill-wise.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
Re: New-to-me 1992 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »

I don't really have a question...just feeling my way through something new to me.

I've been watching my good riding friend Randy Logan on a DR350S since, well, forever. And based on what I've seen him do on his DRs, I'm pretty sure it's a capable machine. Randy has decided to take a hiatus from riding, and he called me a while back to see if I'd be interested in his '92 DR350S. Silly me, my immediate answer was yes!
Randy has ridden the bike once or twice in the past few months in his neighborhood, but the day I went to pick it up, we couldn't get it to idle off the choke. We got it good and warmed up with the choke on, but as soon as the choke was eased off, it would die. No amount of throttle blipping would keep it running. Trailer time.

The DR is now in my garage after having spent a few days at my local mechanic's house getting its carb cleaned and a general inspection. It now idles just fine, and I've ridden it a couple of times. I've heard these bikes can be a bear to start when hot (and maybe not all that easy when cold), and the day I rode it downtown for some errand running, I found that to be the case. Then again, maybe it's just this noob's lack of technique. I hope to stumble on the right sequence and technique soon.

Moving this bike around in the garage seems ridiculously easy. I have the GL1200 near the front so that it doesn't have to be moved far. Alas, that means moving it frequently. Since I'm used to shoving this 800-825# bike in and out of the garage, pushing the <350# DR350 around seems like a piece of cake.

This bike is REALLY tall for me with a 35" seat height. I'm 5'8" and have an inseam of about 31.5 inches. So even though I'm reasonably leggy for a guy my height, I'm able to only touch my toes to the ground if it's level terrain. The thought of being on uneven terrain is a bit daunting. Trying to raise and lower the side stand is unnerving as I have to slide all the over to the right to get more weight on my right foot. But I'm still barely able to get my foot out and away from the bike...making my two-wheel-and-a-foot tripod nearly a straight line. I haven't dropped the bike yet, but I feel it's just a matter of time.
The height of the bike also means I'm forced to stand on the pegs to start it. That's another contributing factor to being confident that sooner or later I will find myself on the ground with the bike on top of me.

I found a reference on a couple of web sites to a "Suzuki Height Control" that was added in 1992. I haven't figured that out yet, but supposedly that allows you to drop the seat height by up to 1.6". That might be enough to make a difference for me. If you are familiar with this, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

When I started into long-distance riding, I snagged an email address of IBWannabe (Iron Butt wannabe). Now, even after years of riding gravel roads and such on "adventure" bikes like a BMW R80G/S or an F650GS, I still consider myself to be a dirt bike wannabe. The DR gets me a little closer equipment-wise. Now I have to get closer skill-wise.

I've never heard of Suzuki Height Control.  The 2nd Generation DR650 ('96+) had 2 height position options but I don't believe that was ever offered on the 350. I believe your only option for lowering seat height is 1) lowering links (Kouba or others) plus sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps and 2) getting the seat "cut down".

If your bike is properly tuned starting it is mostly technique. BTW you probably know that was once my bike. It started pretty easily when I had it. Call me sometime I'll talk you through it. 
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Hey, if it's on the internet, it has to be right, eh? Check out the link or just read what they have to say about the '92 models.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR350.shtml

Suzuki DR350 model history
 1990—

I have tried to tell the DR 350 model history on this page as I know it. This page is still under construction. I would be grateful of any contributions — sales brochures, magazine ads, magazine articles, pictures, specs, facts, corrections etc. Please scan the material in JPEG format (large enough that all the details are visible) and send them to me. Please tell me the source and the publication date if possible. If you send me pictures of your own bike, please follow these instructions.

Suzuki 1992 height=15More Suzuki models from 1992 height=15
 1992 Suzuki year code: N

In 1992 Suzuki added an SHC (Suzuki Height Control) function to the DR350. That made it possible to lower the seat height as much as 40 mm (1.6 inches).

Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »
The Iron Butt weekend in Kingsport came and went with no real interest in an "adventure" route. However, since I never finished that route, I still want to do it, and the DR might just be the ticket. I've got a week of work in New Orleans followed by a couple of weeks with the Knoxville Opera here in town. Once I stumble through that, I'll be taking a few days just to ride, and I'll give you a shout. Roger White may be up for a little local trek as well once he's recovered from a trip to Colorado.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »
There's nothing about SHC in the Suzuki DR350 factory service manual. But that's exactly how it works on the DR650. I think the referenced web page is in error.

Let me know when you want to go exploring up here. I'll likely join you.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
There's nothing about SHC in the Suzuki DR350 factory service manual. But that's exactly how it works on the DR650. I think the referenced web page is in error.

Let me know when you want to go exploring up here. I'll likely join you.

I guess I'll have to go the Kouba route to lower the bike a bit. I hope this is more practical realization than self fulfilling prophecy, but I feel like if I'm on uneven terrain, I am going to find the ground sooner rather than later. I can already tell the bike will be a bunch of fun as long as I'm upright.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
I guess I'll have to go the Kouba route to lower the bike a bit. I hope this is more practical realization than self fulfilling prophecy, but I feel like if I'm on uneven terrain, I am going to find the ground sooner rather than later. I can already tell the bike will be a bunch of fun as long as I'm upright.
I have a set that Joe Terry traded to me for stock ones. Supposed to lower the tail 1.5" I think. I'll mail them to you if you want them.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:39:35 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
That sounds perfect.

I'm a little surprised that Joe wanted the stock items...I rode his current DR350S a couple of weeks ago, and he told me it was lowered.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
That sounds perfect.

I'm a little surprised that Joe wanted the stock items...I rode his current DR350S a couple of weeks ago, and he told me it was lowered.
He may have decided he liked it lower after all and just bought some more. I'll go looking for the ones I have. I know where they SHOULD be but we all know how that works.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:51:07 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'