Author Topic: MSTA Camping Event???  (Read 17347 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
MSTA Camping Event???
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
I recently had a conversation with a riding buddy that said he would not join MSTA because our events did not include camping and he was not a hotel person. As for me, roughing it means having a room that does not have HDTV!  ;)

However that said, there may be a number of members that want to do a camping event or moreover potential members that would join MSTA if camping was promoted more by our group.
What are your thoughts? -JEP-

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: MSTA Camping Event???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:00:14 PM »
I sponsored a camping only event several years ago near Green Cove...a few miles from the Cherohala Skyway between Tellico Plains and Robbinsville. We had 25-30 guys show up in a variety of vehicles. Some had motor homes, some had tents, and I suppose there were some in betweens. It was mostly a dual sport get together, and we had several fun rides over the weekend. But we weren't far from some excellent paved roads either.
My first camping event was STAR in Nashville, Indiana, where the Indiana squadron had gone out of their way to make arrangements for camping. Since then I've camped at a number of events. At some events I was the ONLY person who camped. I still enjoyed it. And yes, cost of a hotel room does come into play. At TN-STAR I used to keep my room open 24 hours to allow campers a place to shower, etc.
At one STAR in Avon, CO, I was the only person camping, and I had to go to a NFS campground almost 35 miles from Avon. But it was cool. The campground was otherwise deserted. There was a fantastic rushing stream running by my site which made for wonderful white noise to sleep by.

So yeah, I'd be up for a camping event.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

rideandfly

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
Love to camp & ride!

During our travels around the lower 48 have seen (younger) groups Sport/DS meeting at campgrounds for rides, either camping or staying in the campground's cabins. ADV, BMW, and Cruiser groups also meet at campgrounds.

Both of the following campgrounds have cabins, very clean restrooms, and showers.

Stayed at Tellico Plains TN earlier this month:

Camped at Linville Falls NC earlier this year:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:20:00 AM by rideandfly »

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
I've done some motocamping in the past, and wouldn't be against it.

Some years ago (about 10) myself and several people from Ohio Riders reserved a group camping area in Shawnee State Park ( Portsmouth, Oh ), and a couple of years later a bunch of us associated through Sport-touring.net did the same thing at Laural River Lake campground in Kentucky.  Had a great time at both events. I've done some individual motocamping on my own as well.  As a kid we never did family vacations in hotels, but we camped all over the country. When my kids where young we had a pop-up camper and did several camping vacations.  I still have lots of camping gear.

As I stated above, I think having a camping option that is as close as possible to a host hotel is a plus for any event.  I like the idea of using state/national parks for events because many of them offer a range of accomidations, including camping.

If there is enough interest expressed I would certainly be up to helping organize just such an event next year.  I can think of a couple of perfect venues here in Kentucky for it.
not all that wander are lost

rideandfly

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
We like to camp & ride at Mortimer Campground NC. They don't have electricty at the sites, but they have showers & restrooms. Last time we stayed it was $10 per night and if you are 62 or older, could get a site for $5 per night, probably with the Golden Age card. This is a US Forest campground in the middle of many DS fire roads with Wilson Creek close by.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/pisgcmp.htm#mortimer

Old NC 105:

Fixing a tire tube problem on Maple Sally RD:

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
Hi Bill! Good to see you back! I'm not scamper but since I live about 17 miles from that campground... I agree it's a nice one with plenty good gravel roads to ride.

We like to camp & ride at Mortimer Campground NC. They don't have electricty at the sites, but they have showers & restrooms. Last time we stayed it was $10 per night and if you are 62 or older, could get a site for $5 per night, probably with the Golden Age card. This is a US Forest campground in the middle of many DS fire roads with Wilson Creek close by.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/pisgcmp.htm#mortimer

Old NC 105:

Fixing a tire tube problem on Maple Sally RD:

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

rideandfly

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:28:34 PM »
Howdy Brick, good to be back.

We've been camping all over the nation and learned one thing, need a toy hauler to transport bikes during trips. Enjoyed Beartooth Pass in Montana, hope to have bikes next time. Enjoyed camping at Custer State Park SD, saw many motorcycles there, too. Even had "Jungle Jack Hanna" to visit our campsite one morning asking questions about our camper in Montana.

Please forgive me, I take too many photos so here's another shot while camping in Montana:

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
JP,
 Looks like we have a few that like camping
They should communicate with each other to set-up a camp JFF event
Just a thought

Dennis
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
Count us in !
We camp with the BMW groups and when we go to the track.  It became much easier when I got the 1200GS, which is a pack mule with a BMW rondel.
Of course it's much nicer if showers are available and a local cafĂ©.   We have some great camping areas around here.  Let us know if you guys are interested in this area, we would be interested in organizing something.  We need more dual sport and dirt events since this is such a growing area. We have areas that also provide great paved rides.
Gayla and Bill
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

rideandfly

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
Will send in Debbie's & My MSTA membership application tomorrow! Let it expire a few years ago!
We like camping & riding!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:32:52 PM by rideandfly »

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
Welcome Back!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

rideandfly

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Dennis, Thanks!

Thinking out loud again, posted photos earlier in this thread,

One campground with camper sites, tent sites, cabins, grill, and very clean restrooms/showers is Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground:

http://www.cmtrails.com/

Looks like a nice place for on & off pavement riding. Don't know many roads in the area except for the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway. :)

Here's a nice campground approximate 15 minute ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Big Lynn Event:

http://www.linvillefalls.com/

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:51:28 PM by rideandfly »

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
There's lot's of excellent DS riding around Tellico Plains
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
I could go there if I got one of the 5 cabins.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

rideandfly

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Here's some cabin interior shots at C M Trails:

Grill:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:49:27 PM by rideandfly »