Author Topic: Dakar 2021  (Read 2833 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Dakar 2021
« on: January 16, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
Honda comes through with a big win in the 2021 Dakar rally! Actually, Hondas finished 1-2 for the first time in over 35 years (I think that's what they said) in the bikes class.
Kevin Benavides finished 1st for his first win after crashing a couple of days back and breaking his nose on his GPS (I knew the darned things were dangerous   :)  ). Ricky Brabec after winning last year, came in 2nd.

Stephane Peterhansel first participated in 1988 and has WON his class 6 times on a bike and now 8 times in a car. In an event where many of the participants just want to finish, he has WON his class over 40% of the times he's entered. He IS Mr. Dakar. Phenomenal!

Complete results...
https://www.dakar.com/en/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:41:01 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Dakar 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »
Yes I watched all the coverage that NBCSP broadcast. I didn’t think the coverage was as good this year as in past years. The announcers we certainly not as good as previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:22:14 PM »
Wish they had a coverage for just the bikes. I gathered fiom the announcers as well as some rider interviews that navigation was a bigger issue this year than usual. Seemed like much of the stages were nothing but sand dunes. Imagine that is easy to get lost in.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
The thing that made me nuts was an English commentator talking over a different language speaker with the volumes at virtually the same level. It made it impossible to understand anything.

Navigation DID seem to be a bigger issue. There were some really wide swings in position due to having spent time being lost.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:26:30 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:31:51 AM »
The thing that made me nuts was an English commentator talking over a different language speaker with the volumes at virtually the same level. It made it impossible to understand anything.

Navigation DID seem to be a bigger issue. There were some really wide swings in position due to having spent time being lost.
Yes the talk over for me was just gibberish!

I heard that for one change they only got the road book 20 minutes before they had to Go! They used to spend a lot of time going over the road book doing a lot of marking it up that would help on the fly.
Then some had gps issues and were riding in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DRB

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
The best coverage is from Dakar via the official releases on U-tube.  Each night has about 5 minutes from the bikes, cars, lightweights, classics and trucks.  The NBCSC coverage is based on this footage.  Honda also has daily coverage about 2-3 minutes each night plus a summary after the race.  The Corenel brothers from the Netherlands also produce an entertaining daily report. 

Sklyer Howes did an incredible job finishing fifth in his second Dakar on a privately funded KTM he rented.

Dakar week has become one of or favorite motorcycle events each year. 

Rick B.

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
I think I enjoyed Dakar more this year than last.  Although I'm not a Brabec fan, and would have preferred to skip the endless interviews with him (Reminded me of the Robbie Gordon years).   I'm a big truck fan, which didn't get much coverage at all.  But the truck field was cut in half by about mid-rally, so not as exciting as the bikes.  Was really hoping Howes would win it, love the privateers.  Always a Peterhansel fan, so happy there.  Wish it wasn't in Saudi, would love to see it return to it's origins.
Now we're into that time of the year where we're between Dakar and MotoGP season, and it's cold.  Hoping for an early spring!
Gayla
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 10:00:17 AM »
It will be interesting to see where, or if it will be back in the US. NBC Sports is shutting down at the end of 2021.
Steve

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 05:21:46 PM »
What you say??? Say it isn't so Joe, say it isn't so!  Criminey that's where I get a lot of my racing. I hope somebody picks it up. I'll have to google that story and find out why.   :(   TM

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
Where are Diffey and the other good announcers going to wind up?
My personnal crystal ball thinks NBC is going to try to collect money from everyone with the new streaming service. Time will tell.
Steve

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 07:17:15 PM »
My personnal crystal ball thinks NBC is going to try to collect money from everyone with the new streaming service. Time will tell.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the very least if NBCSN came back as 100% streaming.  It’s the wave of the future for sure.
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:45 AM »
For the Luddites among us, that would be disappointing. My cable bill seems to be going up, up, and up, but I don't want to have to pay multiple sites to get what I want to watch. We'll "see" how it goes in the future.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »
Yep all the streaming services being set up and then programming from traditional TV channels (pay or broadcast) are being siphoned off to entice us all to pony up $5-10-15 or more per service, and more a few years later. Maybe one day I'll be a cord cutter and find something better and cheaper, but not counting on it. (And as we all do more streaming that means needing more high speed bandwidth for everybody. And if you don't live in a big metro area your options and costs for internet are limited.

I too am disappointed as last year I suddenly got MotoGP and World Superbike for the first time in years (without switching TV providers or paying more money, or buying the package direct from MotoGP). NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) was also the home for Indy Car racing and the IMSA Sports Car series. I wonder how much of that will even be on NBCSN this year, a website called TV Racer (tvracer.com) has listings for many series including upcoming events, date, time and what channel The opening rounds of MotoGP and F1 both show TBA on that site, so I have to wonder if we'll get them.  The MotorAmerica series is decent (a shell of the AMA racing from even the 90s when I started watching) was shown mostly on Fox Sports 1 (FS1) some of it on FS2, I also see some events on a channel called MAVTV that I get.

I enjoy the simplicity of selecting programs I like, having them record (a single event or an entire season) and then going to my DVR and just picking something to watch. Not jumping thru technology whoops to stream this or that, do Roku, Hulu, and a million other different things. I'm a software developer, spend all day at a computer writing code, solving problems etc. When I'm ready to be entertained I want it to be simple. Some people I know say I'm a Luddite, I just feel like a mature adult that knows what he likes and hates the constant change being forced on me.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650