Author Topic: Brake Light Problem  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Brake Light Problem
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »
This past Saturday, while riding at MP, the person behind me asked if I was ever using my brakes, as they never saw my brake light come on.  Since I knew that I was using it, I just assumed that the bulb had probably just burnt out.  I could see the rear light on, but it didn't get brighter when I hit either the front or rear brake pedal.

Upon further checking....replace bulb, (which looked good, and was) check/replace fuse, check connections, I realized that the problems was NOT the brake light would not come on, it was that it WOULDN'T GO OUT.  It is ALWAYS ON.......just hadn't realized that in the sun, but pretty evident at night. 

Checked the service manual for the bike (2007 Yamaha FZ6) and it's only comment was to make sure the rear brake light switch was adjusted correctly, which I did this morning.  I've even disconnected both the front and rear brake light switches.  Nothing changes it, other than removing the tail light fuse, at which point the light stops working at all.

Any Suggestions?
not all that wander are lost

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Brake Light Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
It sounds as if the bulb socket is grounded all the time. 

Offline copdocpvd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
check the micro-switches on the front lever and rear pedal as well, when those get grimy they can stick

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
Based on advice from others, and my time spent checking, lubeing, cleaning, adjusting, etc., I have ordered a new front brake light switch and will install it.

The fact that it was only 22.00 (and I am a cheap/thrifty bast**d) didn't hurt, either.  :)

Hope to have it in a day or two and we'll see if that works.
not all that wander are lost