Author Topic: STAR...On the way  (Read 7013 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
STAR...On the way
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
I left my house Sunday morning with the intent to ride the "Maine Adventure Trail" (MAT) as laid out by Jim Randall, Rick Giddish, and maybe others. I knew it was going to be a crap shoot to make it the 1,500 miles to Vermont in 5 days, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

My first day out was not without "adventure". Shortly after crossing the Virginia state line, I was riding along next to the Clinch River on, what else, Waters Edge Road. It was a fine morning, and despite getting a slightly later start than I'd hoped, I was having fun.

Then there was this...

The offending stick was firmly lodged in the chain guard/guide below the rear sprocket, but had completed dislodged the chain from it's purchase on the rear sprocket. After fiddling with it for a while, I finally extracted the stick, and then it was time to remount the chain. Even after loosening the rear sprocket to move it forward for maximum slack, the chain still seemed to be hesitant to move backwards. It seemed to be jammed up around the front sprocket. Not a big deal...right? Except that in order to lighten the load, my socket set had been jettisoned. Bad choice. I couldn't remove the cover over the front sprocket. But having no choice, I continued to fiddle with it, and it finally came loose. I guided the chain back onto the rear sprocket, tightened things down, reloaded the bike, and was on my way. As noted, I was only feet from the river and it was a nice shady spot. Not a terrible place nor a terrible outcome to have a delay.

I pushed on through the day and made it to a NFS campground at the base of Big Walker Mountain near Wytheville. It was a beautiful evening with a full moon. Alas, I had to eat my "dinner" cold. While I had replaced the pressure pump on my camp stove, the lighter and matches I remember leaving in the bag were nowhere to be found. Dang-nab-it! The temperature was cooler than I had expected, so I bundled up a bit and hit the sack after my cold, and rather unsatisfying, dinner.

Monday morning was cooler still, and the temperature displayed on my phone in Wytheville was 48. Brrr. Definitely cooler than I'd expected, and I wasn't quite prepared. (Are we starting to see a theme here?) I packed up and got on the road. Surprisingly, the campground seemed to be the least warm place I was all morning as I seemed to warm up immediately upon getting moving...a nice surprise.

First on the agenda was taking the gravel road from the south into Burke's Garden. Anyone that's been to TriSTAR or the event that used to take place in Marion knows of this place. Very nice. From the Garden, the route followed another gravel road out to the east. And once again, things went awry. When I got to the turn off, there was an open barrier with a sign proclaiming it to now be a private road that was a dead end. What the heck, Lucille? Not one to be deterred, I went about 3/4 mile on some clunky big gravel and then about a mile on bare dirt. Private or public, it sure wasn't getting any maintenance. Just past a gate off to one side, I came upon this...a ditch dug across the road about 4 feet deep and about 6 feet wide with the dug out dirt piled up on either side. These guys were serious about not wanting traffic on their "private" road. With no way around, it was time to backtrack. It wasn't a burden going out the paved road to the north and then east to Grapefield Road as they are both pleasantly curvy.

After that lengthy detour, I finally hooked back up to the route. Crossing I-77 on one of the few bridges around, I started to climb up Hogback Ridge. If I was looking for adventure, it found me. There were a number of muddy holes, and thanks to the recent dry conditions, they appeared to be much less than what they might have been. I was doing ok in going around them (I once got a bike stuck by trying to go through a mud hole, and didn't want to be in that situation being by myself), but finally found one that had only a narrow berm around one side. I edged up and got the handlebars past one close tree, and then started to roll on. That's when the saddlebag bumped the tree and over I went...into the water. It wasn't terribly deep at maybe 6" (I managed to land in the deepest part), but the wheels were higher than the top of the bike, and in the mud I couldn't get it picked up.

It was pretty obvious that no one would be coming by for, let's say a few weeks, so it was up to me to get the bike up or start walking. I didn't want to abandon the bike, so I came up with a plan. I had a pair of ratchet straps, so I stretched one from a tree to the bike and cranked it as much as I could. It probably only raised the bike a couple of inches, so I attached the other one and cranked it up. Back and forth getting the bike up a couple of inches at a time. Finally, at about 45 degrees, I was able to push it on up. Whew! The bike started right up, and I repacked everything. But looking ahead, the road didn't look any better. I was able to get through the mud hole by going straight through and backtracked back to the nearest paved road.

The good news after all of this was that I wasn't physically hurt in the least. And the bike didn't appear to have suffered any ill effects other than needing to have the front brake lever perch rotated a bit (not possible since I didn't have an appropriate socket...doh!) But my ego was bruised and my confidence had definitely taken a beating. It was ~200 miles in a direct line back to the house, so back to house I came.

I called Jim as I passed through Kingsport on the way home, and he admitted that Hogback Ridge was one of the more challenging roads on the MAT...but not the worst.

Tomorrow I head out on a different bike with a different plan. It'll be a street bike and I'll be sticking to paved roads except for nicely graded gravel if necessary. Adventure is great...I will remember this ride for the rest of my life. But it would have been better with a friend.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:31:56 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
Re: STAR...On the way
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:53 AM »
Wow!   Quite an Adventure!  BTW, did you ride up the front of Walker Mtn on the creekbed?  Safe travels!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:12 AM »
Geoffrey,
Most excellent adventure! Thanks for sharing.  :)
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:45:46 AM »
Those that venture and fail, have at least ventured..........Those that never venture, have only failed.

Glad you're not hurt, that the bike is fine, and we will still see you in Vermont. 
not all that wander are lost

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:56:31 AM »
Hogback Ridge has taken its toll on many others.  Myself included.  On my first trip across several years ago I had a similar encounter.  You can't tell how deep those numerous big mud holes are of course and like you I was attempting to take a high line to avoid a possible abyss. Lost my momentum and when I tried to put my foot down there wasn't any down. Like you over I went into the water.  Also like you the wheels were higher than the bars. Full tank + luggage = HEAVY. Fortunately it wasn't cold but it was very wet. And also even more fortunately PYGRYDR was with me to help standing it up. I broke a mirror but other than that no injuries to me or the DR. We continued. I dried. And, I try very hard to not stall in puddles anymore.

Momentum is your friend... until it's not.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:58:58 AM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »
We no longer bounce as well as we once did.
Be safe and let the adventure continue!
See you at STAR. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
Geoffrey,
Most excellent adventure! Thanks for sharing.  :)

Yeah, what he said. See you at STAR.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
Yep, that's adventure riding! Glad you came out OK, and looking forward to seeing you soon!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »
Great story, maybe its my age, my anxiety, or other things but this kind of adventure would cause me major headaches. Hopefully you have a safe trip now, see you in Stratton on Saturday (we don't leave until Friday and will take 2 days on paved roads). Heck I even reserved hotel rooms for our overnight along the way, I hate being unprepared.

PS I also carry more tools than I can use ;) The hope is they may benefit others, or there will be people along to help me use them. Air compressor and tire repair kits too, and have used both of those and some of the tools. Oh and a voltmeter, but make sure the battery is good or not installed if it uses on (mine was dead when needed it last time).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
I  run a full-time voltmeter on all my bikes. Avoided expensive repairs on my Strom a couple of years ago when the VRR failed to control alternator output.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline Bermuda Ron

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
Hey Roomie, I packing my Bailey Bridge for the ride home.  We"ll make it into Burkes Garden for sure!
Ron Campbell, MSTA Member
Somerset, Bermuda & Mills River, NC USA
Husqvarna TR650 Terra "Annie" my red-headed orphan; Triumph Sprint ST 1050; Kawasaki Vulcan 1600; Daelim S1
Riding out of Mills River, NC in the heart of Motorcycle Heaven!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
I  run a full-time voltmeter on all my bikes. Avoided expensive repairs on my Strom a couple of years ago when the VRR failed to control alternator output.
I added a simple one (LED light with diff colors and flashing speed) on my VFR after a RR and stator failure, stranded on road twice from them. I've considered adding them to all my bikes now, as I had another with electrical issues.

I hate the expensive repairs, I hate being stranded or without a bike even more. You guys (riding dual sport, TAT type rides and such) are true adventurers, and have my utmost respect. Plus you're a good guy for stepping in to help with the website.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
I added a simple one (LED light with diff colors and flashing speed) on my VFR after a RR and stator failure, stranded on road twice from them. I've considered adding them to all my bikes now, as I had another with electrical issues.

I hate the expensive repairs, I hate being stranded or without a bike even more. You guys (riding dual sport, TAT type rides and such) are true adventurers, and have my utmost respect. Plus you're a good guy for stepping in to help with the website.
Thanks Steve - see you in Vermont!
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'