Author Topic: New Member From Indiana  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Silverstreak

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VFR 800F
New Member From Indiana
« on: March 25, 2023, 01:28:29 PM »
Greetings Everyone!

I'm a new guy from Indiana, (West Lafayatte) and am just finding out about MSTA. Sounds like an excellent organization! I am looking forward to learning more about it.

A little bit about me: I just turned 60 and have been riding for 25+ years. BUT, that is misleading because most of my 30K miles are from the 1-2 summer trips I like to do each year with my buddies. I like to ride in the Smokies for sure, (The Cherohala Skyway is a personal favorite) but I don't get to do it very often. I can be talked into other places as well (Northeastern GA, Arkansas, MO, OH, WI..... In short: I like red, orange, and yellow roads on my Butler Maps!!). I am probably a beginner / intermediate in terms of skill level, been tempted but never did a track day or anything like that, and would like to learn from anyone willing to share safety / skills tips with me.

I haven't found too many interesting roads in Northeastern IN. Things are mostly flat and straight. If anyone knows of any good ones, please let me know! It takes a few hours for me to get to the more interesting parts of IN, south of Bloomington ish. So, that tends to cut down on the miles and number of times I hop on the bike. For the most part I'll either use the bike to go 5 miles to get the random gallon of milk at the store (helmet only, always feels wrong!) or gear up and go on a week long trip. I tend not to commute (though I have) or use my bike as primary transportation mostly because of the time to get in and out of the safety gear for what is primarily "city driving" anyway..... I dunno, does that disqualify me from MSTA?

I have a 2008 Honda VFR 800F. It's a tight fit but my wife does like to ride with me every now and then. I learned about MSTA from a new friend and I plan on going with him and his group to STAR 23. Any other events you guys might suggest?

Stay safe and have a great day!

Cheers everyone!

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: New Member From Indiana
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
Welcome!  Good group in Indiana and they are very active.  There are several smaller events that we have that you should consider attending.  1st on the list as far as being close to you is the River City Ride in Corydon, Indiana that happens in late July. Follow that one up with the Red River Gorge rally in east-central KY in early August, and then FlyBy Week, held in SE Ohio, in late August.  All of them will feature good people to ride with on great roads. You can find information about them here in the forum or on the website (www.ridemsta.com). You really can’t go wrong with any of the MSTA rallies thought, they are all great.  See you at STAR!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Silverstreak

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VFR 800F
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 03:08:37 PM »
Thanks! I'll look into those.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 07:05:06 AM »
Greetings Everyone!

I'm a new guy from Indiana, (West Lafayatte) and am just finding out about MSTA. Sounds like an excellent organization! I am looking forward to learning more about it.

I have a 2008 Honda VFR 800F. It's a tight fit but my wife does like to ride with me every now and then. I learned about MSTA from a new friend and I plan on going with him and his group to STAR 23. Any other events you guys might suggest?

Stay safe and have a great day!

You should be able to reach the Cherohala while you're at  STAR in Knoxville.
I'm a former VFR 800 owner. (1998). It's a great bike.
I live near Asheville NC and can help with routes in the Appalachian's, just contact me.

MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »
Welcome to the MSTA from the flat part of Ohio.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »
Welcome from the not so flat part of (SW) Ohio. Just now hearing of the MSTA? Where have you been??  We can fix that not riding enough thing although I'm a victim of that too. However, we do try our best. Riding on flat roads is better than not riding at all.
Great events in great locations on the schedule.  Welcome again, TM

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 11:30:15 AM »
Welcome from Northeast Ohio and a fellow Hoosier by birth (Gary area back in the 60s).

Yes you qualify for MSTA, there are not requirements on how often you ride or the total mileage. Some people remain members while not even riding. Understand the lack of decent roads, luckily it is only about an hour for me. Still most fun rides are 150 miles or more. I rarely commuted to work for similar reasons, and I had a nice 15 mile ride thru mostly park like areas.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »
Welcome from Okie land!  I tend to do riding similar to you.  I’m fortunate to have MSTA friends so that my rides are planned and take me to see many wonders across these states.  I do ride the AR roads quite a bit.  Bill and Gayla O’Brien are great resources in the Arkansas area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure