Author Topic: RainPal  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
RainPal
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
Well this is a cool idea... if it works

http://www.rainpal.vision/

Hmm... 59.99 British pounds = $83.53us.

Not inexpensive!

But it can be moved from one helmet to the next.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
Re: RainPal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
Neato. I wonder if it scratches the plastic visor with extended use???

-----------------------------------------

Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
They should add squirts! ;)

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
Cool product and lots of info on their web site

Jim R,
They say doesn't scratch but they provide optical quality tear offs to use if concerned.

Jim P,
If you mean liquid to clean/wash the shield like we have in cars, they have that to.

If somebody buys one and tries it out please post feedback. I'm interested but cheap, and also don't ride as much in the rain as some do. Plus I have other rain issues to address that are more important (like keeping my hands & feet dry, some new gear may help there but haven't had great luck with waterproof gloves, and the boots were resoled and in good shape but not waterproof.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Well this is a little off the subject but... Last Sunday we rode and rode into rain. Ate lunch as it poured. I had on my Aerostich only 1 year 2 months old. It leaked in the crotch. Plus my ass got wet kind of like just moisture going through the seat... Not a leak. My arms were getting wet as I got home. And my hand were getting wet. The Klim (Tugwatti) gloves failed! My newish Sidi On Road boots worked just fine!  So after 100 of 130 mile trip my gear let me down!
I have I my saddle bags a very dry set of Frogg Toggs that fit over my Aerostich and a pair of the Triple digit gloves but I chose not to stop to put either on. So it's all my fault... but I'm still pissed!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
Better to find that out on a local ride than three days into a road trip!

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
Well this is a little off the subject but... Last Sunday we rode and rode into rain. Ate lunch as it poured. I had on my Aerostich only 1 year 2 months old. It leaked in the crotch. Plus my ass got wet kind of like just moisture going through the seat... Not a leak. My arms were getting wet as I got home. And my hand were getting wet. The Klim (Tugwatti) gloves failed! My newish Sidi On Road boots worked just fine!  So after 100 of 130 mile trip my gear let me down!
I have I my saddle bags a very dry set of Frogg Toggs that fit over my Aerostich and a pair of the Triple digit gloves but I chose not to stop to put either on. So it's all my fault... but I'm still pissed!
IMO Regardless of claims of "waterproof" there is  no riding gear completely so. Ride long enough in the rain and you'll get at least a little wet. The last couple of years I've started wearing light rain gear UNDER my protective riding gear. The outer garments eventually leak thru but I stay pretty dry if I can keep the rain from entering at the neck and sleeves.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »
Yea but this time for me I came out of the restaurant IN a pouring rain. So taking everything off to put an under layer on would have been... Well wet!

IMO Regardless of claims of "waterproof" there is  no riding gear completely so. Ride long enough in the rain and you'll get at least a little wet. The last couple of years I've started wearing light rain gear UNDER my protective riding gear. The outer garments eventually leak thru but I stay pretty dry if I can keep the rain from entering at the neck and sleeves.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
[...but haven't had great luck with waterproof gloves, and the boots were resoled and in good shape but not waterproof...Steve]

Buy 3-digit Aerostich rain gloves that BL calls "Lobster Claws."  They work great, take only a tiny amount of storage and I've used them often over my normal gloves when it got real cold on a ride. 

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
I have a pair of these... They were in the saddlebags staying dry just like my Frogg Toggs!

[...but haven't had great luck with waterproof gloves, and the boots were resoled and in good shape but not waterproof...Steve]

Buy 3-digit Aerostich rain gloves that BL calls "Lobster Claws."  They work great, take only a tiny amount of storage and I've used them often over my normal gloves when it got real cold on a ride.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Better to find that out on a local ride than three days into a road trip!

Pretty sad, for as much as Aerostich charges for their goods!

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »

It has been my experience as well that nothing is truly waterproof. A couple of years ago, I rode all through Kansas in driving rain on the way to STAR in Rapid City. I had on my Aerostich, and for good measure I put on my Frogg Toggs over it. Had "waterproof" boots and gloves too. Guess what? Hands and feet were soaked and clothes underneath were damp. Heck, the inside of my helmet was wet even though all the vents were closed.

Back on topic - I too would like to know how well it performs, so if anyone is planning on buying one, please share your experiences with it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:26:02 AM by 96viffer »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
Just as an interesting follow up... a rider on the other forum where I got this item posted that the clips on the top on the face shield would NOT allow the shield to seal thus allowing lots of rain to run IN. This is a deal closer as far as I'm concerned!

Oh well... Not sure I could get past how goofy it looks either!   ::)
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the new Roadcrafter, Brick. Guess I'll continue with my Darien jacket and pants that have done a wonderful job for me in heavy rain. The newer Darien jacket has magnets in the collar and they help to keep it very snug in cold and/or wet weather. I'm on my 2nd pair of BMW Goretex boots in 20 years and they have always kept my feet warm and dry also. I haven't had this good luck with gloves yet, though.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
Just as an interesting follow up... a rider on the other forum where I got this item posted that the clips on the top on the face shield would NOT allow the shield to seal thus allowing lots of rain to run IN. This is a deal closer as far as I'm concerned!

Oh well... Not sure I could get past how goofy it looks either!   ::)
The web site for that product specifically said that would not be an issue in addressing various questions.

As for not putting on rain gear when it rains, well that is one way to find out how waterproof your gear is. Even though textile gear does not soak up the rain as bad as leathers can, they still get wet and can soak thru, or just be heavy and annoying. I'd rather put my rain gear on before that happens.

Frogg Toggs - great light weight rain gear, but after using a set for many trips I'm going to look for something more in the vinyl/polyester material to really keep water out. Frogg Toggs are basically treated paper, they eventually get wet and come through a little. They also leave tons of little fibers on any velcro on your gear. Mine lasted a long time and were worth the price, I needed someting that packed light, and I have a discount coupon (MSTA event door prize) on a set so will buy another. But something like my first rain gear (Nelson Rigg I think) would be better, also a better wind blocking layer for the cold.

Lobster claws - yep I think those are what I need, something similar like gators for the boots maybe.

PS  When it is hot and spotty showers I generally ignore the rain until it becomes very heavy. Once its over the wind from riding will dry me out, and I'm not smothered in layers of less breathable material in the heat. I'd prefer not to ride in the rain, but I don't live in SoCal or some other climate like that.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650