Author Topic: Getting the right helmet...  (Read 8632 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Getting the right helmet...
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »

Today I was listening to The Pace Motorcycle Podcast episode 217. They told of a website that looks to be a pretty good resource to aid in proper helmet selection.

http://www.lidpicker.com/

The deal is you pay $20 to get the kit that you use to measure your head in many locations. You use this information and you get a report see sample report off website. Or you can just pay $10 for there report.

The guys on the podcast said:  IF you then buy the helmet from them you get $10 of your $20 back. Now I looked on the website and did NOT see this information anywhere. Perhaps I just missed it. Perhaps they just do the report and sizing and you buy your helmet from whomever?!?!

Either way it looks/sounds interesting.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Getting the right helmet...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
Finding a helmet that fits for the right price and with the right features is one of the most difficult things for anyone to find. If anyone tries this, please report back and let us know how it went.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
Another good resource for internal helmet shapes is http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm.

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Contact Robert Miller at the Service Pavilion..he handles ARAI. My fitment took 40 minutes and I went down one complete helmet size. My helmet fits so good I could wear it all day. I have left behind my Nolan and the convenience of the flip chin bar( I wear glasses)  just because the ARAI just feels so much better and is a lot quieter. Roberts number is 717-354-3434 he will walk u through helmet fitting, the needed checks to ensure your safety. You can also access our podcasts at www.570wkbn.com    type 2 Wheel in the search engine and the podcasts will come up. We did a three part series on helmet fitment. Maybe in 2014 you'll have to scroll through them to locate the correct ones.

Robert will make another appearance and review helmet fitting next Tuesday on the 2 Wheel Power Hour. Download the iHeart radio app type in www.570wkbn.com  you'll be able to listen live anywhere in the United States. Show time is 6pm Ohio time.
Wardie

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
Wardie I absolutely know Robert. If you want/need an Arai he is the man. I wore many Arai helmets for years. I felt Arai was better safer etc. Also I always paid a few hundred dollars more to get signature or cool designed Arai helmets. However, years ago a number of studies showed that there are many others that are just as safe. Also Arai will not no never, according to Robert, make a helmet with a drop down sun screen. His words not mine.
I found Scorpion gave me all I wanted AND fit me correctly, has cool graphics and a drop down sun shade. All for less than $350.00. My Arai helmets were costing me close to $900!!

I'm sold on Scorpion helmets.

YMMV
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
Is Robert the guy that was at the Arai booth at the MC show in Cleveland?  If so, I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get this guy to get me the right size.  He measured and said I was a Large.  He gave me a helmet to try on...and the bottom of the opening was barely below my eyes and half of my chin was sticking out.  AND it hurt the top of my head a LOT as he kept pounding down on it and saying "this is the correct size for you".  I kept telling him that it hurt front and back, and he kept saying that was supposed to feel that way, and that after many miles it would break in, and that anything else would be doing my head a "disservice"!.  He tried some different thickness padding, with not much change.  The top of my head hurt for the rest of the day...no kidding!  I then went 2 booths down and bought a XL Shoei...for a lot less $.  Very comfy, fits tightly, doesn't slide on my head, and my field of view is in the center of the face-shield opening.  I also felt that the 3 different style of Arai's I tried had very minimal padding at the top of the head, and it also is allowed to "float", which allows the shell to move around outside of the padding.   The Signet and one other that I tried also has a limited horizontal field of view.  Thank you, but I guess I'll always be a Shoei guy.  I will admit that the Arai's are very lightweight.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »
Quint you making me jealous I didn't buy that matching Shoei then we'd both have same helmet and jacket :) I(The vendor had some leftover Shoei RF1100 models, in matt black for $200, they sold new for around $400, and the new RF1200 list around $450. Quite a bargain.)

I can understand something being tight and needing to work it in some, but it should not hurt and I'm really shocked the guy was telling you that. As I told you my brother lent me a Shoei medium once as a passeneger and it hurt the top of my head (like it was in a vise) all day.

PS  Did you notice those folks we bought the jacket from were Competition Accessories? I didn't see any logo of theirs anywhere, but noticed a business card they gave me and the receipt both had CompAcc on it. I bought some of my first MC gear from the folks in Springfield Ohio long ago, on a galaxy not so far away....
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
"this is the correct size for you".  I kept telling him that it hurt front and back, and he kept saying that was supposed to feel that way, and that after many miles it would break in, and that anything else would be doing my head a "disservice"!.  He tried some different thickness padding, with not much change.  The top of my head hurt for the rest of the day...no kidding!  I then went 2 booths down and bought a XL Shoei...for a lot less $. 

gman8 I totally sympathize with you. Robert has been spot on with my fit and several friends fitting so I don't know what to say but can imagine your head hurting the rest of the day a bummer.

Motorcycle consumer news has run several stories on Snell standards, I've interviewed the Snell technicians and read the reports on $100 helmets that pass the same standards as ARAI and Shoei. the famous ZR-1 helmet 99 bucks same impact resistance. You don't have to spend big dollars to get a Snell helmet. The difference between the upper end helmets is that they are lighter ( fatigue factor can add up when doing distance), ventilation, shell construction materials, eye width of opening and of course ventilation.

My Arai is bright Red. We have found white and red two most visible colors. No graphics other than ARAI sticker.

In all cases gentlemen as long as a helmet is Snell ( not sure about ECU standards) and it meets the fit test; crown of helmet sits evenly all around your head and keeps the top of the opening two inches above your eyebrows, helmet shell allows you to tilt head backwards without bottom back of helmet touching your neck and finally the check pads should be thick enough that when you bit down your teeth should be barely biting the inside but allow the inside of your mouth to squeeze out from under your teeth. I hope I'm saying this correctly but good fit on the side of your jaws is important from keeping the helmet twisting on your head when you impact.

When I had my Hayabusa,  I had a Hayabusa badged Shoei and I loved it as well. HJC and Nolan make upper tiered helmets as well as AGV.

The important take away is Snell standards or equivalent and a good fit.

BTW if I had nosed around and found that RF1100 for $200 I would of bought it and had the 21 INK guys do something on it..some kind of cool, jazzy design commemorating the show..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:31:23 PM by wardie »
Wardie

Offline Charleetho

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
So, to the OP, you say you read the report on the snell vs Dot and the DOT only helmet transmitted less force to the head at street riding impacts and your still stuck on Snell? The report is old news now and Snell has updated their standards to actually being a "softer" impact level from the 2005 std. 
I do agree that spending more money gets you higher quality finish and features, weight etc. For me, fit and comfort are more important then a Snell rating.
I rode with HJC helmets (fine helmets) for many years but then I put on an Arai. Like putting a mini Lexus on your head. Very nice. Unfortunately I test crashed a Corsair V in 2014 at 65m mph. It preformed perfectly.  I have had the same Arai rep fitting experience as another poster.  They recommend a size that I feel is way to tight. My head felt like a zip waiting to pop.
Now I ride with a Shoei Qwest. Fits well, 90% as plush as the Arai and half the price. It does lack the ventilation of my Corsair V.
I'm considering new lids for me and the wife. I love the look of the new Corsair X Freddie Spencer edition  (my Corsair V was a Freddie and I still have my 1985 Freddie on a shelf). I tried on the new shuberth  (sp?) C3Pro and it fit well. Hmm.  The old C3 had a different shape.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:07:59 AM by Charleetho »

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »
Yeah I think I'm stuck on Snell or equivalent standards. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time) but most road racing organizations require a helmet  to be less than 5 years old and ECU or Snell type of standards. I do not believe DOT will cut it. They sometimes check the date codes inside the helmets.

I agree with everyone when you first get fitted the helmet is TIGHT. I first thought I'd never get it off and didn't wear it for a while because I feared not being able to get it off no kidding but I decided for the money I invested I needed to start wearing it. Gradually first for an hour in the house a couple times then outside (neighbors think I'm cookie!) and finally wore it in and I never go anywhere on my bike without it. Now, the question is, is that reasonable to expect everyone to be diligent about this, and to have such a break in period?
I don't know but it was tougher than hell on me for a while.

I think the Corsair is THE top of the line period for any helmet. MOO. It has everything including price. Shoei is a terrific helmet and if I could find one at the show for $200 (RF1100) like Steve said I would've bought it.

Shuberth, AGV, Noland and HJC can and do make upper tiered helmets. Great comments and observations Chareetho.

BTW I also own two AFX helmets. Under $100 Snell approved.
Wardie

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
"BTW if I had nosed around and found that RF1100 for $200 I would of bought it and had the 21 INK guys do something on it..some kind of cool, jazzy design commemorating the show.."

The $200 RF1100 is a matte black...which would probably be my last choice simply for conspicuity against cagers absorbed in screaming kids and cell phones!  The jacket I (we) bought is a green Hi-Viz/black combo, so to add some green Hi-Viz to the helmet would be great.  Need to find a place nearby to add something!  Even some stick-on decals would be entertained!  Hmmmm....im thinking the BMW roundel in Hi-Viz green!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
"BTW if I had nosed around and found that RF1100 for $200 I would of bought it and had the 21 INK guys do something on it..some kind of cool, jazzy design commemorating the show.."

The $200 RF1100 is a matte black...which would probably be my last choice simply for conspicuity against cagers absorbed in screaming kids and cell phones!  The jacket I (we) bought is a green Hi-Viz/black combo, so to add some green Hi-Viz to the helmet would be great.  Need to find a place nearby to add something!  Even some stick-on decals would be entertained!  Hmmmm....im thinking the BMW roundel in Hi-Viz green!
Something like this maybe
http://tinyurl.com/hrklt7s

Larry,
Too bad you missed the helmet deal, being a left over (RF1100 with RF1200 as current model) and matte black made a steep discount. Might find something similar in an online search (I'm still looking for one myself).
Steve Grabowski

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »
Hey Steve if you see them anywhere for $200 let me know. I would have a big white star air brushed on the side of it or maybe a checker board pattern like the Phil Reed Arai models.

I just had First gear replace my Kilimingaro jacket with a new Hi Viz Kiliminjaro jacket. After ten years there are different changes in the jackets and I haven't worn it enough to be sure what I like and don't like yet. Going from grey/black color scheme to Hi Viz is like WOW..can U see me now.

I did notice it doesn't take much to turn the Hi Viz in dirty Hi Viz... shows everything. I love First gear!
Wardie

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »

SOMETHING like that....only different!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »

SOMETHING like that....only different!
Time to search the web lots od stuff out there.

Larry will do on the helmet, not sure I see that again. Gonna hit eBay to see what's there but I'm not big on the bidding for stuff.
Steve Grabowski