Author Topic: Motorcycle/Camping Weekend???  (Read 9463 times)

VersysRider

Motorcycle/Camping Weekend???
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Let's get a motorcycle/camping weekend planned for this motorcycle season. I was thinking Tar Hollow near Hocking Hills. Date to be determined. Any interest?

Mark_H_Michigan

Re: Motorcycle/Camping Weekend???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Yes, interested.  Participation will, of course, depend on the calendar.  It's a nice area for riding and camping.

VersysRider

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
Yes, interested.  Participation will, of course, depend on the calendar.  It's a nice area for riding and camping.
My thought is September, possibly late August (not labor day weekend).

VersysRider

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »
Right now I am looking at a very tentative date of Sept 12 - 14, 2014. This doesn't conflict with any other MSTA events. I am also going to contact Tar Hollow about a group campsite.

Still awaiting input from you all before I proceed forward with this.

Camping rates are $26 per campsite per night, max 6 persons per campsite. This will obviously change if we can acquire a group campsite (hopefully with a shelter).

Here are a few details on the campground:

Sunny and shady sites to suit every camper
71 electric sites
11 non-electric sites
12 walk-in sites
5 primitive sites along the backpack trail
Campground equipped with showers, laundry facilities, pit latrines and a dump station
Beach is close by
General Store offers camping supplies, souvenirs and snacks
Registered campers may borrow game and sporting equipment from the General Store
Pet camping is permitted on all sites

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
Jon...

Looks good.

Might want to also consider Shawnee St Park, just west of Portsmouth.  I know for a fact that they do have a group camping area.  It doesn't have a shelter, but it is private and along a creek, just off the main camping area.  Truck/car access as well. Been about 10 years since I was there, but a bunch of us from central Ohio and NKY used it for a couple of years either on the weekend you suggested, or the prior one, and it served us well.

Shawnee also has a Lodge, with resturant, about a mile from the campground. It made a group breakfast easy to do.  We all brought food and cooked out for the dinners.

Good road riding in virtually every direction. Also lots of good DS riding in Shawnee area.  The Cincy area DS guys are out there most weekeds riding the dirt roads and trails in the area..
not all that wander are lost

Mark_H_Michigan

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
That could be the same weekend the Michigan Squadron visits northern Michigan for Tip of the Mitt event.  You're right, it's not an MSTA event, but, a local event which has been attended by members form Ohio.  But, other than that, the plan and campsites sound attractive.

Right now I am looking at a very tentative date of Sept 12 - 14, 2014. This doesn't conflict with any other MSTA events. I am also going to contact Tar Hollow about a group campsite.

Still awaiting input from you all before I proceed forward with this.

Camping rates are $26 per campsite per night, max 6 persons per campsite. This will obviously change if we can acquire a group campsite (hopefully with a shelter).

Here are a few details on the campground:

Sunny and shady sites to suit every camper
71 electric sites
11 non-electric sites
12 walk-in sites
5 primitive sites along the backpack trail
Campground equipped with showers, laundry facilities, pit latrines and a dump station
Beach is close by
General Store offers camping supplies, souvenirs and snacks
Registered campers may borrow game and sporting equipment from the General Store
Pet camping is permitted on all sites