Author Topic: STAR 2020....CANCELLED  (Read 6537 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
STAR 2020....CANCELLED
« on: June 23, 2020, 06:58:32 PM »
It is with the deepest regret and certainly a large amount of displeasure that we must announce that STAR2020 must be cancelled.  It is simply going to be too much of a logistical and legal nightmare to pull off such a large gathering during this period of pandemic and governmentally mandated regulations.

To understand the challenges, we suggest you read the CDC website in regards to managing events during this time.

From the CDC report, "The more people an individual interacts with at a gathering and the longer the interaction lasts, the higher the potential risk of becoming infected with Covid-19 and Covid-19 spreading." and, "Highest Risk: Large in-person gatherings where it is difficult for individuals to remain spaced at least 6 foot apart and attendees travel from outside the local area.:

That's STAR in a nutshell, isn't it?

So after getting an opinion on what legal ramifications we might have if we couldn't adhere to all the mandates, after getting medical opinions from various sources, and after discussing the logistics and other factors with club leaders and STAR organizers, the EC was unanimous in its decision to cancel STAR2020 and begin work on STAR2021.

All MSTA members will receive a more in-depth explanation via email, people that have already registered will receive a refund, and the bike raffle will be still held.  Look for information on the bike raffle and STAR 2021 in future emails and updates. 

The EC
not all that wander are lost

Offline GoVFR

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 15 Honda VFR Deluxe
Re: STAR 2020....CANCELLED
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:19:39 PM »
Pat,

Understood. Tough decision for sure. Thank you for the explanation of all the considerations and uncertainties that impacted the call.

Can we expect an early announcement of STAR 2021 plans? Maybe we could save Tim a lot of refund check writing, if we could just roll over our STAR 2020 fees for the 2021 event.

Dan
GoVFR
GoVFR
MSTA #12407

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »
Pat,

Understood. Tough decision for sure. Thank you for the explanation of all the considerations and uncertainties that impacted the call.

Can we expect an early announcement of STAR 2021 plans? Maybe we could save Tim a lot of refund check writing, if we could just roll over our STAR 2020 fees for the 2021 event.

Dan
GoVFR

Yes....expect the announcement within the next week.  Just finishing up some video work for it right now. 

We discussed the rolling over of STAR registrations but Tim thought it would be to much of an accounting nightmare, so we decided against it.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Denise and I are donating our registration fees, T-shirt and lunch Ride money to the Dan Clark Safety Program.  I just talked to Treasurer Tim, and he said he can put just the registration money, or all of it to the Dan Clark Program.

As Denise says, we already spent the money, so let's put it to good use and have Tim put it in the Dan Clark Fund.

Anyone that would like to do the same, send a message to Tim Macy and let him know how much to put in the Fund.  If you do not put all of it in the Dan Clark Fund, he can send a check for the remainder to you.

Even if we do not have a STAR this year, which we were sure looking forward to, we can try to do something good with the money.

Thank you to everyone that will decide to follow us with these donations to the Dan Clark Safety Program.

See you next year!!!
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 07:53:32 AM »
Bummer. The thought regarding cancelling was ever present, I hoped the country would be in better shape at that time.
I think rolling everything over to the next year is a great idea!
Steve

Offline DRB

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »
Pat,
Thank you for the notice.  I know this was not an easy decision but I think you made the right call.
Rick B. :(

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Pat, I has just heard about it from my brother who saw it on Facebook. We were making our plans, guess I can scrap that for now.

I did have my concerns about this size (even at 250-300) gathering, with even one event all together (the banquet) let alone other meetings, and a potential large room with 75-100 at a time having breakfast every morning. If more things could be done outside, that would certainly make things easier. (We are re-opening our church this weekend, with services in our outdoor pavilion, much safer than inside the building.)

I am hoping none of the other regional events are in jeopardy and will look forward to attending Mail Pouch Fly By and Fall Color Ride, maybe something else too.

Heck I don't think we'll be returning to our office this year, and it sounds like long term we will change to a mostly work from home operation (saves the company money).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline 09FJRrider

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 80000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha FJR 1300
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
Sad to hear.  Tough decision by the EC.
Thank you for the well written explanation.

Seems like the right thing to do this wacky 2020.
Hopefully next year will be even better!
Rides:
Current: 09FJR1300 & 07XL883R
Previous: 87FJ1200 & 01FJR1300

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 11:51:52 AM »
Well, this sucks but not totally out of the blue. It's a difficult thing to do but we are not alone in the situation. Many, many MANY thanks to those that put out the effort to start with to get STAR organized. This puts our attention to NEXT year wherever the secret location may be and maybe we can attend some of the regional events to salvage the riding year. Damn I miss everybody!!

For another group I belong to, they had to cancel for the same reasons but moved the date to 2022 for the same location, same Bat time, same Bat channel since 2021 was already in the works and booked. So maybe we can do the same or something similar. Then that jerk that likes to argue wether we are east or west of the previous location can get his panties in a knot all over again!!  :^)  What fun!  Flame on.     TM

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »
Well, this sucks but not totally out of the blue. It's a difficult thing to do but we are not alone in the situation. Many, many MANY thanks to those that put out the effort to start with to get STAR organized. This puts our attention to NEXT year wherever the secret location may be and maybe we can attend some of the regional events to salvage the riding year. Damn I miss everybody!!

For another group I belong to, they had to cancel for the same reasons but moved the date to 2022 for the same location, same Bat time, same Bat channel since 2021 was already in the works and booked. So maybe we can do the same or something similar. Then that jerk that likes to argue wether we are east or west of the previous location can get his panties in a knot all over again!!  :^)  What fun!  Flame on.     TM
Awww I miss you too Tom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650