MSTA Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping at STAR 2022  (Read 3477 times)

Patmo

• MSTA Member
Camping at STAR 2022
« on: May 07, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »

We do not have an "officially designated" camping area at the hotel or in the general area of the hotel, but there are several options for those wishing to camp. Trail of Tears State Park is located along the Mississippi River about 16 miles from the Drury Inn.  There are several RV Parks located in and around Cape Girardeau. A few websites worth checking out are:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=campgrounds&find_loc=Cape+Girardeau%2C+MO

https://www.visitmo.com/places-to-stay/?_pts_cat=campgrounds-rv-sites

https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US/d/united-states/missouri/cape-girardeau/camping/all
not all that wander are lost

RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: Camping at STAR 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »

I was out there a few years back and the Tail of Tears State Park is very nice. Also there are nice roads from the park to the hotel. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:09:13 PM »

I gave some serious thoughts to camping at the Trail of Tears State Park the first time we were going to the area. But this time I'm wimping out and got a room (I'm sharing a room....does that count as hotel camping?).

Camping seemed to be the way to go when I headed down to the North Georgia Classic a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty fantastic. I'm also camping when I go up to Canaan Valley SP in a couple of weeks. I expect to see some incredible starry nights in WV just as I saw in a NFS campground in Georgia.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 07:36:58 AM »

Possibly one of the reasons that we do a poor job of attracting younger members to our group is that we don’t do a good enough job of lining up camping accommodations at our events?  Staying in hotels all the time can create a financial barrier for many younger and less affluent riders who still have children at home and are starting out in their careers. Let’s strive to provide the opportunities and promote them as a lower cost way of getting involved in sport touring and the club.

Something to consider, don’t you think?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:17:22 AM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 09:51:37 AM »

Well Carl, let me thank you for your service. That's NOT meant to be sarcastic. My brother was a Navy Corpsman in VN and it was no picnic. So you have my respect Sir. I wouldn't camp any more either. lol

Geoffrey, I hope the weather gods shine on you again at Canaan as they did at Helen. OH MY GOODNESS that was a beautiful weekend.

Patmo, I think you have a point. It may not be THE answer but it could help.  my .02  TM

stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 01:08:49 PM »

It couldn't hurt to do more to find good camping near events. If you're hearing from younger members or prospects that they want that option, then its more critical. But camping on a motorcycle trip also requires either a trailer/camper, or the specialized light weight camping gear fit for a motorcycle. Which also cost money, sometimes significant amounts.

I recall meeting a a young couple from western PA at STAR (he was on a new VFR800 like mine) last year who were camping I believe in a trailer. I can see where that is a better option for some, especially if they are already into MC travel with camping.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.