Author Topic: Slaying The Dragon With an Old Friend  (Read 14284 times)

kaosbandit

Slaying The Dragon With an Old Friend
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »

We had a great early spring ride up in Deal's Gap. Check it out and let me know what you think about the video.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/2014/3/9/slaying-the-dragon-with-an-old-friend

Offline Nick Bell

• Forum Member
Re: Slaying The Dragon With an Old Friend
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Super. All the V-Strom scrapes reminded of when I did the Dragon with my Harley. Ride on!

Offline Herricane

• Forum Member II
  • The shortest distance between two points is boring
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Honda VFR800
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
This was great!  I only got to watch a portion of the video but loved it.  The Dragon remains on my bucket list!

Thanks for sharing  :)
The shortest distance between point A and point B is boring.

kaosbandit

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
Super. All the V-Strom scrapes reminded of when I did the Dragon with my Harley. Ride on!

My friend recently got a wee strom to add to his stable. His other bike is a vstar and we run comms when we ride. I can always tell when he is having a good time because I will hear teh metal scraping coming through the headset. :)

kaosbandit

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
This was great!  I only got to watch a portion of the video but loved it.  The Dragon remains on my bucket list!

Thanks for sharing  :)

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. That was my first video with multiple camera angles.

When you get to the Dragon make sure you plan some time to check out that whole area. There is some awesome riding around there.

TK

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Nice video and read. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
Wow, that was excellent!
However I think that if I were scraping that much I would work on my suspension before I got tossed in the weeds. At least crank on some more preload. Just my $.02 worth. YMMV
You should do more video... you are good!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
Wow, that was excellent!
However I think that if I were scraping that much I would work on my suspension before I got tossed in the weeds. At least crank on some more preload. Just my $.02 worth. YMMV

Brick
Excellent point Brick.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

kaosbandit

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Wow, that was excellent!

Brick
Excellent point Brick.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

My buddy hasn't had that strom very long and he is still getting it sorted to his liking. He has mentioned a stiffer spring and I have a feeling he will be removing the center stand. That's what keeps touching down.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
Adam,
 Although I have ridden with more Wee Strom riders than its big brother, I had always thought under normal conditions it had LOTS of clearance.  I had an 06 FJR, which I think you are very familiar with, which I would occasionally scrape pegs on.  A lot more than I thought it should.  I weigh 240lbs nekked, and would always put way more than I needed in my bags.  I spent about $280 on a set up HyperPro springs, front and rear.  Best bang for the money I ever spent.  Spring compression in twisties was drastically reduced and scraping just about eliminated.  I would highly recommend that your friend look into a set.
Rod
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »
I have occasionally scraped pegs on my Wee. However, I think it has a lot to do with cornering style. Leaning a bit to the inside i.e. using the K.T.M. (kiss the mirror) body position reduces the lean angle of the bike and keeping some light throttle dialed in all the way through the turn minimizes suspension compression. Those techniques make a difference on any bike but I think have a dramatic effect on the tall, high center of gravity VStrom.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

kaosbandit

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »
Adam,
 Although I have ridden with more Wee Strom riders than its big brother, I had always thought under normal conditions it had LOTS of clearance.  I had an 06 FJR, which I think you are very familiar with, which I would occasionally scrape pegs on.  A lot more than I thought it should.  I weigh 240lbs nekked, and would always put way more than I needed in my bags.  I spent about $280 on a set up HyperPro springs, front and rear.  Best bang for the money I ever spent.  Spring compression in twisties was drastically reduced and scraping just about eliminated.  I would highly recommend that your friend look into a set.
Rod

Thanks. I will pass the info along to him. He is just getting settled into the Strom so I am sure he will be working up a list of farkles.

kaosbandit

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »
I have occasionally scraped pegs on my Wee. However, I think it has a lot to do with cornering style. Leaning a bit to the inside i.e. using the K.T.M. (kiss the mirror) body position reduces the lean angle of the bike and keeping some light throttle dialed in all the way through the turn minimizes suspension compression. Those techniques make a difference on any bike but I think have a dramatic effect on the tall, high center of gravity VStrom.

I agree with you. In the video you may notice that he has an odd riding posture. His top 4 vertebrae are fused from an old motorcycle accident years ago. Because of that he has to stay more vertical and let the bike move more. That probably has something to do with it as well.

Offline Cook

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »
Actually, I thought your friend might have been a dirt bike rider in an earlier life.  I find myself falling into this mode in successive tight twisties.  Rather than doing speedy  transitions to the inside of the bike, if the turns are not too tight I will fall into going upright and flicking he bike under me ; not good, but happens.

kaosbandit

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Actually, I thought your friend might have been a dirt bike rider in an earlier life.  I find myself falling into this mode in successive tight twisties.  Rather than doing speedy  transitions to the inside of the bike, if the turns are not too tight I will fall into going upright and flicking he bike under me ; not good, but happens.

He definitely was a dirt bike rider and I think it was a dirt bike he hurt his bike on. Maybe that's what it is.