Author Topic: Moto GP will not return to Indy in 2016  (Read 11823 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Moto GP will not return to Indy in 2016
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »
Q-man - sad but true.  To most people in this country a motorcycle is made in Milwaukee and only ridden on sunny days at 15 mph below the posted speed limit, while making as much noise as possible. 

I find a howling/screaming sport bike every bit as annoying as any other bike that has a loud exhaust. Loud exhausts aren't put only on a single brand.
Last year I had the opportunity to rent a H-D Street Glide for a couple of days. The exhaust was stock and I found it to be quite a pleasant sound. It was a bit louder than I'm used to hearing, but it  was also a deeper pitch rumble that I found to be quite satisfying. I agree that it seems more H-Ds are altered than most any other brand. I recall from having worked in a multi-line dealership for a few months 20 years ago that many riders purchasing new bikes wanted immediately to "pipe and jet" their bikes. Some couldn't ride out of the parking lot without falling down, so it certainly wasn't a "need" for more power. I guess it was a compensation thing.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
I honestly can't imagine Nicky getting much of a WSB ride with the results he's had for the last 3-4 years.  All the WSB teams are high-dollar and getting someone who finishes consistently 12th-20th in motoGP is not exactly a prime catch.

The level of competition in WSB is probably higher than in motoGP because it has many riders who can win on a given Sunday.   MotoGP has Marquez, Rossi, and Lorenzo. 

I'd have to disagree, Tosh. I think Nicky still has the talent and the drive. The packages he's had the last several years have been subpar. Given a competitive package I think he can run up front in WSBK. Betcha there are many people, myself included, who'd love to see him try to be the first MotoGP/WSBK double world champion. Now that would be a tantalizing prospect.

Choon

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Choon - I hope you're correct so we'll have to wait and see what he does at the end of the season.

Nicky is 2 years younger than Rossi but the latter has had so much more success especially over the past 5 years.  Nicky rode on the Repsol Honda "A" team from 2003 to 2008, winning the world championship in 2006.   Both had terrible seasons with Ducati before that company finally turned things around, helped greatly by money from new owner Audi.   

Tosh (not Ray or Choon).   :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:22:10 AM by DirtFlier »

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »
I think Nicky given the right team and a capable bike can definitely be a podium finisher. I agree about WSBK plenty of good riders who each race can challenge for the lead. To me WSBK is more exciting than Moto GP.

If Rossi hadn't gone to Ducati he might of had a chance to break Agostini's record but don't think that will happen after two years not winning with Ducati...

I am checking with IMS to see if the PR department knows of any future events coming to replace the Moto GP. I do not expect an answer because that's the way it works..no news until there's news and until they want U to know about it. Never hurts to ask though.
Wardie

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
All those years that Hayden languished somewhere in the 12th to 17th range, a lot of young riders have come up and become established so finishing on the podium with a better bike will not be that easy.  And a lot of those young guns will fight you tooth & nail as if it's a 3-lap last chance qualifier!     

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I gotta agree with Tosh on this one. I think Nicky's days are pretty much over, as far as being a championship contender. At some point in time he'll have to face the obvious - his time as a professional m/c racer are pretty much done. Too bad he hasn't done much in the last 10 years. I had really high hopes after he won the championship in MotoGP back in 2006.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
There is a reason Hayden hasn't been offered a better ride.  A team and its high dollar sponsors want results.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:50:00 PM by DirtFlier »

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
Q-man - sad but true.  To most people in this country a motorcycle is made in Milwaukee and only ridden on sunny days at 15 mph below the posted speed limit, while making as much noise as possible.

Too true, and stopping off for a few brews on the ride.

Oh and about those GP sponsors, they also want well known riders, and Nicky just isn't that popular these days. Glad I got to see him bust out as a youngster, always fun to watch.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650