Author Topic: Found excellent replacement battery  (Read 1647 times)

Offline bikerdup

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Found excellent replacement battery
« on: February 07, 2024, 09:29:59 AM »
The Yuasa battery in my 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT gave up the ghost. A new Yuasa on eBay was insanely expensive at ~ $125.00. That's not happening!. An eBay search had many batteries to choose from. I selected Chrome Battery. I have to say that I'm hugely impressed so far. The battery was delivered in three days. Opening the shipping envelope I found a very nice factory labeled box (think of what you would see on a name-brand product bought at Lowes). Opening the box I found the battery enclosed in a heavy duty zip lock bag. Opening that I saw that the battery had both terminals covered in a plastic colored-coded cap (nice!). To my surprise there was also an owner's manual. I've never seen that before. It covers "To start use", "Installation", "Charging", "Common Failure", and "Caution". The battery is made in Thailand and distributed in the US by Chrome Battery.

I'm hugely impressed so far. From eBay the price was just north of $40.00 including free shipping and sales tax. I can't give a long term review because I just received it, but if the experience so far is any indication, this thing is a real winner. Their eBay name is chromebattery.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Re: Found excellent replacement battery
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 04:15:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. Not only are Yuasa batteries expensive they seem to have gone down in quality recently.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 06:37:50 PM »
A lot of how long a battery will last, is how you take care of the battery. I bought a new 2002 Honda ST1100 in Dec, 2001. I always kept a Battery Tender on it during long periods of not riding. It is easy to hook up, once you install the battery connections and have the plug hanging on the side of the bike. When we were in Las Vegas at the Cycle Expo in Oct, 2018, I talked to a Rep at the Yuasa Battery Booth. I asked him how long a Yuasa Battery will last that came in an ST1100 that I bought in Dec, 2001.
He looked at me like it was a trick question. I then told him that it was the original and he was amazed, being it was over 17 years old, and it still starts the bike with no problems.
He then suggested for me to take photos of the battery serial number as well as the bike VIN and a few other things and send to him.
Yuasa sent me a new battery and a Yuasa battery charger similar to the Battery Tender brand, but it also has hook ups for 2 batteries. I also had to sign some forms so that they could use my information for promotion purposes, showing that the Yuasa battery will last a long time if properly taken care of.
I have 6 Battery Tenders that I use on bikes, garden tractors and cars, when they sit for long periods. They are much better than your normal charger, as they do not continually put a high charge into the battery.
That is just one example that I gave about use of a Battery Tender to extend the life of a battery when in storage, or just sitting for a few weeks. Since I have been using Battery Tenders, my batteries last many years.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 05:03:18 AM »
Yep!   I can't beat that but I did have a Deka battery in MY ST11 last for 10 years using the same method and I was delighted. However, just over the winter so far my '23 Moto Guzzi had a dead battery after a couple of months of my forgetfulness. Must be all the electronics draining the battery so I will be more diligent in the future. After a charge all is good now and got a chance to ride it with our unusual warm spell.
Tenders work great.  TM

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 10:39:05 AM »
A lot of how long a battery will last, is how you take care of the battery. I bought a new 2002 Honda ST1100 in Dec, 2001. I always kept a Battery Tender on it during long periods of not riding. It is easy to hook up, once you install the battery connections and have the plug hanging on the side of the bike. When we were in Las Vegas at the Cycle Expo in Oct, 2018, I talked to a Rep at the Yuasa Battery Booth. I asked him how long a Yuasa Battery will last that came in an ST1100 that I bought in Dec, 2001.
He looked at me like it was a trick question. I then told him that it was the original and he was amazed, being it was over 17 years old, and it still starts the bike with no problems.
He then suggested for me to take photos of the battery serial number as well as the bike VIN and a few other things and send to him.
Yuasa sent me a new battery and a Yuasa battery charger similar to the Battery Tender brand, but it also has hook ups for 2 batteries. I also had to sign some forms so that they could use my information for promotion purposes, showing that the Yuasa battery will last a long time if properly taken care of.
I have 6 Battery Tenders that I use on bikes, garden tractors and cars, when they sit for long periods. They are much better than your normal charger, as they do not continually put a high charge into the battery.
That is just one example that I gave about use of a Battery Tender to extend the life of a battery when in storage, or just sitting for a few weeks. Since I have been using Battery Tenders, my batteries last many years.
I had a similar experience with Yuasa. However my problem was their batteries not lasting very long (2 years max). They also sent me a new battery but told me to always use their battery tender when not riding.
I plug in the battery tender after every ride.
Last Spring the battery went dead leaving me stranded after (guess what) 2years of use! -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 02:05:44 PM »
I have two Optimate tenders that I swap between 5 bikes and one Zero Turn mower. I used to have the Deltran tenders but we have frequent power outages and the Deltrans don't seem to like that. The Optimates have proven more durable.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 10:03:25 PM »
I agree, not all batteries will last forever. Just like a cycle or auto, some have less troubles than others, and not always the same brand and model. But, the more we can do to help to eliminate the problems, such like using a Battery Tender when not using the bike or car will help to prolong the life.

I bought a 2014 F150 when it was 3 yr old and 35,000 miles, so it was not driven a whole lot. It now has about 80,000 miles and is 10 yr old. The last time I had it serviced, they questioned me, as it is the original battery by the serial number and date code. And, it still tested with very good amps. They said that seemed little long for the life in that type of vehicle.

I do put a Battery Tender on it when I think it is going to sit for more than a few days, but I still don't know about the first three years of its life. And, an automotive battery to last that long is still good.

But, now that I brag about it, it may not start tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:05:43 PM by Ride4MS »
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 04:56:01 AM »
The key is if it is a "smart" charger of any brand, USE IT DUMMY!!!   LOL ;)     It sure helps.  TM