Author Topic: Forum Activity  (Read 39361 times)

PaulM

Re: Forum Activity
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06:01 AM »
Seems to me most other forums are brand/model specific and post are mostly related to farkling, sharing cool aid, or bashing other brand and those that ride them. This may be a more mature group of folks that are true motorcycle enthusiast and are more interested in the journey then the tool.

Paul

motodog650

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
The WERA 13x forums are pretty busy. Typical thread example:

"School me on Hand Guns" or "Espresso Machines" or "HVAC Systems" etc...

The "I want a Pony" threads are very popular also ;D ;D ;D

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
I think most have touched on the various reasons

- for many that got on before, they got tired of the frequent reboots and failures, that are really a distant memory now
- for some they just don't have the time or interest to spend browsng another forum and reading threads and topics and posting. (They still prefer the old style email list where everything is sent directly to them. They are not all technophobes, they're intelligent and savvy web users, but just don't have the time or desire to participate. And no matter what aids the web site may have to enable this to work in an email list type mode, it is far more complex than joining the list and getting ALL posts sent to it, at least as far as I know
- even the old email list had relatively low participation, with far less than 50% of the members using it, and a small percentage of those doing the most posting
- facebook is another thing that takes some traffic away, people who use FB love it being their all encompassing communication tool. As an example my brother Richard (not picking on you bro) used to read the forum regularly and post too. Now when we talk about it he says he rarely goes there, but often sees MSTA stuff on his FB, or sees stuff from other MSTA members he's friends with on FB. I am not saying we should get rid of our FB page, but that has moved traffic over there. And many are not on FB, and I'm not going to join just because people have changed to using that for most of their communication.

As for what can we do to change it, I've said this before and I also know I've failed to follow through with my own local group. Sitting down with those who don't use the forum and showing them how it works, what is there, how to register, post etc.

Sadly I think it is what it is, the fewer posts the slower the traffic the less the regulars who post do so. When it gets slow there isn't much to talk about, or comment on. I bought a GoPro a while back, posted a thread asking for some advice, I got 2 responses and commented once after that myself. I know there are many others who are somewhat active on the forum with experience with GoPros or shooting video from the bike and was surprised there were not more replies. I'm not complaining or calling people out, but determined I'd need to find other sources for more info, or contact some people directly.

Really there are too many places, too many source, too many things to do and not enough time to do them. Or it isn't very enjoyable compared to other things so we don't do it as much.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
I think most have touched on the various reasons

- for many that got on before, they got tired of the frequent reboots and failures, that are really a distant memory now
- for some they just don't have the time or interest to spend browsng another forum and reading threads and topics and posting. (They still prefer the old style email list where everything is sent directly to them. They are not all technophobes, they're intelligent and savvy web users, but just don't have the time or desire to participate. And no matter what aids the web site may have to enable this to work in an email list type mode, it is far more complex than joining the list and getting ALL posts sent to it, at least as far as I know
- even the old email list had relatively low participation, with far less than 50% of the members using it, and a small percentage of those doing the most posting
- facebook is another thing that takes some traffic away, people who use FB love it being their all encompassing communication tool. As an example my brother Richard (not picking on you bro) used to read the forum regularly and post too. Now when we talk about it he says he rarely goes there, but often sees MSTA stuff on his FB, or sees stuff from other MSTA members he's friends with on FB. I am not saying we should get rid of our FB page, but that has moved traffic over there. And many are not on FB, and I'm not going to join just because people have changed to using that for most of their communication.

As for what can we do to change it, I've said this before and I also know I've failed to follow through with my own local group. Sitting down with those who don't use the forum and showing them how it works, what is there, how to register, post etc.

Sadly I think it is what it is, the fewer posts the slower the traffic the less the regulars who post do so. When it gets slow there isn't much to talk about, or comment on. I bought a GoPro a while back, posted a thread asking for some advice, I got 2 responses and commented once after that myself. I know there are many others who are somewhat active on the forum with experience with GoPros or shooting video from the bike and was surprised there were not more replies. I'm not complaining or calling people out, but determined I'd need to find other sources for more info, or contact some people directly.

Really there are too many places, too many source, too many things to do and not enough time to do them. Or it isn't very enjoyable compared to other things so we don't do it as much.

Could another factor also be that the average age of a MSTA member is about 123!!!  :-)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
Hey... I resemble that!  =8^)

[/quote]
Could another factor also be that the average age of a MSTA member is about 123!!!  :-)

[/quote]
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »
After all, we all know the Concours 14 is the slam dunk best Sport Tourer ever made. So what's to argue about?  8)

Hey, I have both my 09 Versys and 06 KLX up for sale. Thing is the Concours 14 is one of the bikes I am considering as the replacement. The 2015 can be had in Kawa Green ;D
Buy the C14 but keep the KLX. The two make great stable mates.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
After all, we all know the Concours 14 is the slam dunk best Sport Tourer ever made. So what's to argue about?  8)

Hey, I have both my 09 Versys and 06 KLX up for sale. Thing is the Concours 14 is one of the bikes I am considering as the replacement. The 2015 can be had in Kawa Green ;D
Buy the C14 but keep the KLX. The two make great stable mates.
Darn straight...just like having multiple types of shoes in the closet.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »
I'd have lots of bikes if possible, but I am at a different point in my life than most MSTA members. I've got a 1 and 4 year old at home, so my shoes are busy with them 95% of the time. I don't have time for both bikes, so I've decided to consolidate and get one. Someday I will return to multiple bikes, but right now I am enjoying spending my free time with the wife and kids.
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
I'd have lots of bikes if possible, but I am at a different point in my life than most MSTA members. I've got a 1 and 4 year old at home, so my shoes are busy with them 95% of the time. I don't have time for both bikes, so I've decided to consolidate and get one. Someday I will return to multiple bikes, but right now I am enjoying spending my free time with the wife and kids.
If you're needing to pare the fleet down to one (and I certainly understand with the family), why aren't you keeping the Versys? That's a fine, do-everything, kind of bike. If I could keep only one of my bikes, I think it'd be my BMW F650GS (thumper). It's shown me it's capable of everything from thousand mile days all the way down to dual sport rides that are as gnarly as I want to do the vast majority of the time. The GS and the Versys aren't "exactly" on the same plane, but the Versys probably makes up on the street what it lacks off pavement in a comparison of the two.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:56:08 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
why aren't you keeping the Versys?

Honestly, that's a good and fair question. I've had the Versys for a few years and I just have the bug for something different mainly. Plus I want a bike that I can leave after work on a Friday and head down to TN/NC and return home on Sunday afternoon. The Versys will do it, but IMO its not great for eating up miles of interstate at a time. Its great for 3-400 mile day rides around home but its not a long distance machine (at least for me). I think a C14 will eat the interstate miles and still be a blast when you get to the curvy mountain roads.
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
I owned a 1st gen Connie for many years and used it as you described.  It was a wonderful bike for eating up miles, but a bit large and heavy when it got into the technical mountain roads.  Quite a bit of work, and tiring, to throw around on those roads.  I don't own a Verseys, but my FZ6 is somewhat similar.  I agree with your discription of bikes like it.  Not great on the highway, but almost perfect for 300-400 miles of back roads.

I was hoping that the FJ-09 would be a cross between the two classes of bikes and give us the best of both.

I'm still hoping that someone will build a bike that is.
not all that wander are lost

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »
I owned a 1st gen Connie for many years and used it as you described.  It was a wonderful bike for eating up miles, but a bit large and heavy when it got into the technical mountain roads.  Quite a bit of work, and tiring, to throw around on those roads.  I don't own a Verseys, but my FZ6 is somewhat similar.  I agree with your discription of bikes like it.  Not great on the highway, but almost perfect for 300-400 miles of back roads.

I was hoping that the FJ-09 would be a cross between the two classes of bikes and give us the best of both.

So what is wroing with the FJ-09?
2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X
19753Trail 90

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »

So what is wroing with the FJ-09?

I like it, but I was hoping for more wind protection, hard bags, heated grips, cruise control, etc. as standard equipment...kind of a mini-FJR.......along with a lower seat height.

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
I owned an 05 ST1300 and put 85,000 miles on it. It was a great bike for me, I never felt that it was a workout to run it through the curves. I never got to the end of a day and felt beat by it. Always got off and felt like I could go for another 100 miles if I wanted. I need to find a C14 to take for a spin, I am hoping it would be much like the ST. I'd go back to an ST, but like many others I feel its dated. Plus I feel like I've been there and done that and want to try something else.

I've not ridden or seen an FJ-09 in person, but I put it in more of a class with the Versys. I want something with more weather protection.
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
I owned an 05 ST1300 and put 85,000 miles on it. It was a great bike for me, I never felt that it was a workout to run it through the curves. I never got to the end of a day and felt beat by it. Always got off and felt like I could go for another 100 miles if I wanted. I need to find a C14 to take for a spin, I am hoping it would be much like the ST. I'd go back to an ST, but like many others I feel its dated. Plus I feel like I've been there and done that and want to try something else.

I've not ridden or seen an FJ-09 in person, but I put it in more of a class with the Versys. I want something with more weather protection.

If the ST weight and heft didn't bother you, I think the newer Connie will feel like a middleweight to you.  And a rocket ship!