Author Topic: Cape Girardeau?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Cape Girardeau?
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:37 AM »
I know that there were some people that kept their reservations and visited Cape Girardeau and the Drury Plaza last week.  Was wondering how it was and what their impressions of the area and facilities was?
not all that wander are lost

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
Re: Cape Girardeau?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
Pat, I did not keep my res. but I have been through that area a number of times. We always stayed at the Hampton, which was across I-55 and has since closed.It was next to a White Castle...you can come to your own conclusions about that! It is a great area to ride. You can spend time riding the delta along the river, and west of the Cape there are more cows and goats than people. The two lanes are rarely crowded. Since they they usaully do not have serious winter, the roads are good shape.
Lambert's restaurant is a good place to eat if you have not been there. About 20 min. south of the Cape just off I-55.
There is a BMW dealer down along the river, Grass Roots. It was a great dealer, it was closed, then reopened.
Steve
Steve

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:34:06 PM »
My better half and I have been driving a rented RV up the "Great River Road" for the last week. We went west in Tennessee (live in eastern Tennessee) and then headed north. We went through (or close to) Cape Girardeau. Cindy & I have remarked multiple times about the lack of traffic along the way the entire trip. If you have to spend time in a 30 foot behemoth, this has been a pretty good place to be doing it.

I happen to like White Castle...maybe even better than Krystal, but it's close.

We passed on Lambert's due to the timing of being there. But how can a serious foodie pass up the home of "throwed" rolls. We wondered if they're still doing that in today's environment. But since we didn't stop this trip, there is nothing to report.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
My better half and I have been driving a rented RV up the "Great River Road" for the last week. We went west in Tennessee (live in eastern Tennessee) and then headed north. We went through (or close to) Cape Girardeau. Cindy & I have remarked multiple times about the lack of traffic along the way the entire trip. If you have to spend time in a 30 foot behemoth, this has been a pretty good place to be doing it.

I happen to like White Castle...maybe even better than Krystal, but it's close.

We passed on Lambert's due to the timing of being there. But how can a serious foodie pass up the home of "throwed" rolls. We wondered if they're still doing that in today's environment. But since we didn't stop this trip, there is nothing to report.

Sounds like fun Geoffrey. Now, where is that damn wallet again??  8)
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »
Geoffrey,
If you are taking the Great River Road all the way to Minneapolis, there are many White Castles in the Twin Cities area.  But, I have not heard of any from there south to St. Louis, MO. 

Maybe River people don't know what they are missing/craving.

When you find a White Castle, get the Crave Box of 30 to hold you over until you find another Castle.

For anyone that has not had a White Castle, you are missing something very different.  When we picked up our son at the airport, coming home from Iraq, he had us stop by a WC and he ordered a 10 pack for the road and another 10 frozen to take home.

Crave On!
 :clap:
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
Sounds like fun Geoffrey. Now, where is that damn wallet again??  8)

It's been interesting, and I'll let it go at that for now. Ask me when you see me if you want the whole story.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »
Geoffrey,
If you are taking the Great River Road all the way to Minneapolis, there are many White Castles in the Twin Cities area.  But, I have not heard of any from there south to St. Louis, MO. 

When you find a White Castle, get the Crave Box of 30 to hold you over until you find another Castle.

For anyone that has not had a White Castle, you are missing something very different.  When we picked up our son at the airport, coming home from Iraq, he had us stop by a WC and he ordered a 10 pack for the road and another 10 frozen to take home.

Crave On!

The nearest White Castle to my home is 1.5 hours north in Corbin, KY. I sometimes get them frozen at the grocery store. I have made the drone up the interstate a couple of times just because, well, you said it. Crave on!

We have stuck to the so-called Great River Road from Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee to Itasca State Park in MN (spent the night there last night). I don't think I've seen a White Castle, but only because the towns we've gone through are probably too small to support them. Many of the roads we've seen were VERY rural. We did go through Minneapolis, but it was a rush to get through on a Sunday so that we didn't have to deal with traffic in the RV during Monday rush hour traffic. We got on the interstate for one of the first times on the trip and didn't stop until we were 20 miles west of town.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
I've ridden the River Route in different sections, another great ride!

Steve
Steve

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
It may not be as exciting as Deal's Gap, the Cherohala Skyway, the Snake, etc. but we found it to be very pleasant. I was consistently amazed at how deserted the roads were.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 02:23:57 PM »
Geoffrey,

Crave On!
I had a brother who lived in Indiana that showed me the way of the White Castle sliders. Every time I'd visit we had to make a trip there. Then they started opening them up in Ohio and the only time I went much was for a post Browns game meal to soak up the alcohol before driving home. 4-6 gut bombs, some fries or onion rings and a Coke hit the spot. Today I'd rather go to Steak N Shake for one of their $4 burger combos, and Tuesday when I stopped there for lunch it was after 2PM so I did the half price milk shake thing, a great meal for under $6.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650