Author Topic: NGC Roommate and Forum Concerns  (Read 9784 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
NGC Roommate and Forum Concerns
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
A while back, I posted looking for a roommate for the North Georgia Classic, and never received a reply. Honest, I don't smoke, don't snore much, and take regular showers! Actually, it doesn't surprise me much, as it seems forum usage has fallen off to almost nothing! It's a shame, because it looks like the change was very much for the good. The new venue is faster and simpler, a hard combination to beat. There is no discussion about events, and very little bantering back and forth. In the past, my roommate post would have elicited comments like sure, or hell no I don't want to room with you! This time mine was one of just several posts in the entire event thread! This venue will die, or certainly loose its value as a means of cohesiveness and as a source of information if we don't nurture it. I received more "roommate" replies on the ancient micapeak list than on this forum.

Shortly I will start an article with Fall Colors information, and it would be great to have replies and questions(like the old days!) So please say something to me, even if its just go to the Devil! I've even considered starting some flaming topic to get everyone stirred up! ::) Oh, by the way, I still need a roommate. Syd ;D

Hey, maybe we can start giving away prizes of gift certificates for food!, but only those that post can win. I'll anti up a little dough for that kitty, pun intended.
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: NGC Roommate and Forum Concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
Syd,
You make good points. I am the kind of person who will often respond to any topic, whether I know something about it or not  ;)   But regarding your post looking for a roommate at NGC, first that isn't an event with a huge attendance from what I've read/heard. Its not STAR, or even Mail Pouch. I try to refrain from posting just to say "sorry not attending, hope you find a roommate."  That comes from my own local MSTA email list where I'll post "hey anybody want to go for a ride this weekend" then get lots of posts saying "nope sorry busy." or something like that. I find that depressing so I don't do that.
As far as general participation on the forum, it is down but seems to be more people posting than on the old one when it was so slow.
Not sure what to do. I've tried to encourage people in my local group to participate. But also consider people that started on the first forum, the number of crashes, switches/moves that required people to start over. Could be some of those have simply given up or are waiting to feel it is more stable and not going to change again. (That is not a complaint or criticism of the site admins, just a fact of life with the people using the forum).
I guess the best we can all do is to continue using it, try to get others to use it.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »
Hey Sid,
I'm still thinking about what events I'll be able to attend. SOME of us don't have the ride every w/e freedom. (SHUT UP BRICK!!) NGC looks like one I'd like to do but I have to work things out. I'll keep ya posted. 
Also I think the lack of traffic on the forum is a combination of it's early yet in the ridng season, the change (again) of the forum and demographics. It is what it is.

Hope to see ya'll ridin' soon,  TM

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
Syd - I think Don Moe was looking for a roommate but that might have been on the old forum as it was a while back. You might want to contact him. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GlibGuy

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki DL650
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
I'm supposed to be rooming with him unless he's "dumped" me.   

I sent an email instead of posting -  -  -  which I guess helps make Syd's point about use of the forum(?).

Mickey in Virginia
Mick
2019 Tracer GT 900, 2009 DL650, 2020 Husqvarna 501
33 states and Mexico

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Back in January, I posted a notice for a roommate to share a double room at NGC. Erik Larson eventually responded and then more recently told me he had issues come up and canceled his attendance at NGC. Thus the room is available from Thursday until Sunday. If interested please contact me at my cell # 561-346-1009.

Don Moe
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »
Hey Tom, I cherish every chance I have to attend a rally, because it doesn't happen often enough (my opinion-not the wife's). Mickey Tyler contacted me last week, and we are going to share a room. Brick's friend Don is looking for someone to share his room, so get in touch with him if you can make it. Hope to see you there! Syd :D

Touringman

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
Syd.....sorry I never responded.....I was out riding.     :-*

( I wish that was true! )

not all that wander are lost

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
Don't look now Pat, but I believe your pants may be on Fire!! ;D
Touringman

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »
Looking at the date again and I'm out for the NGC. I have some other things going on then. I am leaning toward the Tri-Star event or MMM non-event. . So stay tuned.    TM

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
Looking at the date again and I'm out for the NGC. I have some other things going on then. I am leaning toward the Tri-Star event or MMM non-event. . So stay tuned.    TM

Oh hell NO... if your not going then I'm... Ok wait what the hell is wrong with me I AM still going! :-p to you Tom! We will just have to struggle one without you the best we can!

BTW: I agree we need more participants on this forum. I think that there needs to be a HUGE plug in STAReview telling all to get there asses over here! Also where the hell are the rest of the EC? Why the hell aren't they posting here??? Heck if it's not good enough for them to post why the hell should we???

Hello.... HELLO!!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there??????????????????//
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Greg

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 150000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL 1800
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
I'm listening, but at the moment I have nothing to say, :)
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
The forum has been wiped out so many times, with my posts & profile being lost, that I've been reluctant to invest much time in it.

Probably WILL spend more time on it after riding season is over...