Author Topic: New and Improved Mileage Log  (Read 8004 times)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
New and Improved Mileage Log
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
Check out the New and Improved Mileage Log
http://www.wfr-ridersclub.com/miles/miles.asp
I would like to invite MSTA members and forum subscribers to participate in a new and improved online Mileage Log. The idea for the mileage log dates back to one of the earlier HSTA/MSTA forums which included a page for users to record their riding mileage. This was a fairly popular feature with MSTA website visitors and came to be a daily stop for me as it was convenient for keeping track of my personal mileage accrual  and it was fun to see how I compared with other riders in the club. Perhaps most of all it was nice little way to remind myself of how much fun I was having!
When the MSTA mileage log was lost to one of several website changes/crashes I coded a temporary replacement. As time passed and the MSTA server/forum issues continued and there was no return of the mileage log I decided to develop an enhanced version. This version is intended to include all riders of all types as well as all clubs and groups. If we can get a wide variety of rider styles and clubs to participate I think it will be interesting and entertaining to see how the different styles and groups compare.
The new mileage log  allows for selective display of either specific categories and/or groups or the entire roster. This feature will of course be more useful once a significant number of riders are registered. For now the roster is populated only a few active participants, several inactive MSTA members and  some fictitious entries for test and demo purposes, these will later be deleted.
This is an ongoing project and although tested extensively there will surely be some bugs. These will be promptly addressed and bug reports, suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks for reading and I hope you will enjoy the mileage log!
Ninja Bob
[size=78%]P.S.[/size]
Mileage log is hosted at [size=78%][/size][size=78%]http://www.wfr-ridersclub.com[/size]. The West Florida Republic Riders Club is a regional/cyberspace motorcycle club I founded to support local rides as well as provide a generic host for mileage log. The area that I live in and do most of my riding in, was, for a very short while in 1810, the Republic of West Florida. So far the club has 3 members. We plan to sponser joint rides with MSTA.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:27:29 PM by NinjaBob »
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: New and Improved Mileage Log
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
Whatever became of this? Looks pretty good to me.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
I update it everyday that I travel on my Trophy. More riders should participate.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »
More people should use the forum too, but they don't.
I thought I entered my info but it isn't there, so maybe it was one of the many preceding mileage logs. I'd probably only update it once a year.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
Hmm I can open it from my iPhone ... wonder if I could use Tapatalk on my iPhone to use it?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
I update my mileage on Bob's site a few times a year. It would be nice if we could get that feature back on the forum as I seem to recall a lot of participation when it was available.
I love finding new projects for Jay! ;) -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
My mileage numbers are pretty decent, but Howard Steiger absolutely puts me, and the vast majority of other folks as well, completely to shame.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
My mileage numbers are pretty decent, but Howard Steiger absolutely puts me, and the vast majority of other folks as well, completely to shame.
And your numbers put me to shame, and my numbers put somebody else to shame. Just like with the speed you ride, there is always going to be somebody faster and probably somebody slower. My brother Richard started riding many years before I did, but didn't do as much touring and has great SoCal roads nearby so a fun ride didn't require 100 miles of slab. I've got 30-40 thousand more miles than him, but only been riding for 15 years, while he had some time off from riding because of work and other things.
Its not really a contest. I ride 8-10 thousand a year, much of that lately attending events and less on weekend rides (and virtually no commuting). That is more than I ever expected when I first started this adventure.
PS  Its not the miles that count, but the SMILES  ;D
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
And your numbers put me to shame, and my numbers put somebody else to shame. Just like with the speed you ride, there is always going to be somebody faster and probably somebody slower. My brother Richard started riding many years before I did, but didn't do as much touring and has great SoCal roads nearby so a fun ride didn't require 100 miles of slab. I've got 30-40 thousand more miles than him, but only been riding for 15 years, while he had some time off from riding because of work and other things.
Its not really a contest. I ride 8-10 thousand a year, much of that lately attending events and less on weekend rides (and virtually no commuting). That is more than I ever expected when I first started this adventure.
PS  Its not the miles that count, but the SMILES  ;D

I had the opportunity to carry a triathlon race official during a race yesterday. Now that's what I call a good deal. I had a good 1/2 day ride to get to the race site, they put me up or the night in a decent motel, and then got paid for carrying the race official around the event course. And after all of that, I had a nice 1/2 day ride back towards the house. So yes, there were a LOT of smiles during going on. And getting back on track, this will be a nice little bump to my mileage log numbers.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.