Author Topic: GPS info - Garmin zumo 660 vs 590  (Read 27892 times)

Offline Bermuda Ron

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Re: GPS info - Garmin zumo 660 vs 590
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
Make sure - really sure - your 660 is seated in the cradle.  Wait till you here the click and give it a pull to make sure it holds tight.  Although I knew of this problem from various forums, mine flew off one morning!  Geoffrey and I had just started out from Burlington VT when I thought a bird had hit my leg, and I could see something black with wings flapping rolling down the road in my mirror.  Poor little guy I thought.  When I looked down, my 660 was gone.  This was on an Interstate overpass, so I turned around and stopped in the center strip to pick up my poor little guy.  (What had looked like flapping wings to me was actually the sunshade flappin'!)  660 was still running, not even a scrape, and so I plopped her back on just as Geoffrey rode up.  "Are we lost?" he said through his face shield.  "Nah, just dropped something - were good" - and we rode on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:12:12 PM by Bermuda Ron »
Ron Campbell, MSTA Member
Somerset, Bermuda & Mills River, NC USA
Husqvarna TR650 Terra "Annie" my red-headed orphan; Triumph Sprint ST 1050; Kawasaki Vulcan 1600; Daelim S1
Riding out of Mills River, NC in the heart of Motorcycle Heaven!

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
 :D
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Daboo

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW F800GT
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
Sounds like it is too late, but for future readers with the same question, I'll toss in my two cents worth.

I looked at the 660 and 665.  The screen brightness was an issue.  I also felt at my advanced age (over 60), and after using both 4.3 inch and 5.0 inch car GPS's, I wanted the larger format.

I picked up a refurbished 590LM from the Factory Outlet Store.  Price was around $550, which I thought was steep, but when you look for a "motorcycle" GPS, you're stuck on the bad side of the supply and demand curve.  Still, it is cheaper than a "new" unit.

Everything about the 590LM appears new.  The box.  The unit itself.  It even has the full Garmin warranty. 

The screen is fine in bright sunlight.  Navigation includes a curvy road option.  I simply set up two profiles.  One as a "car" for fastest routing.  The other as "motorcycle" to take advantage of the curvy road option.  Traffic updates are good with a smartphone app tie-in.  So far, in over 6000 miles of mostly winter Seattle riding, it has worked fine.

If given the choice of the 660 and the 590, I'd go with the 590 for the larger screen and curvy road feature.

Chris

Chris
Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
John 14:6