Author Topic: Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?  (Read 17181 times)

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Re: Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
+1 for Pat's Seminar!

Norm Kern

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »
Some excellent posts! This turned into a good thread.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »
Well, mark me as one of those, "fighting facebook".    I use the excuse that it is too much junk from what I have been shown by some users.  But, I am sure it has it's good points also, especially for the younger generation that we are trying to attract to MSTA.

That is one seminar that I plan to attend so I can learn about FB.

Oh, by the way, this thing is On and working, by the looks of how many comments have been to just this one post.  I think it is just that some days nobody has any thing to say or complain about.  I try to look at it at least once a day to see if anything is new.

Now if we could move the member users of this forum to 75% or more, than we would have a very useful tool.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »
Maybe some sort of automated transfer function (bot?) could be set up by someone that knows what they are doing. That is a section of this forum that would automatically get the latest from fb sent and posted into it. It could be called..."Here is what you've been missing on the MSTA fb page!" It wouldn't have to show everything that's on the FB page, perhaps the fb posters (is that what they're called?) could put in certain text or something at the bottom of their post that would indicate they wanted it cross posted to the forum?

If it couldn't be automated..well then "nevermind:)

regardless, ...yes I have to agree this thing is turned on.
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »
As one of the "lurkers", I check both but do prefer the forum because I can follow numerous types of threads that peak my interests from technical to marketplace items to just informative discussions such as this one.  I also appreciate the members who make things happen from a technical perspective.  Thanks Bob! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 08:20:47 AM »
You are welcome, Scott!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Maybe some sort of automated transfer function (bot?) could be set up by someone that knows what they are doing. That is a section of this forum that would automatically get the latest from fb sent and posted into it. It could be called..."Here is what you've been missing on the MSTA fb page!" It wouldn't have to show everything that's on the FB page, perhaps the fb posters (is that what they're called?) could put in certain text or something at the bottom of their post that would indicate they wanted it cross posted to the forum?

If it couldn't be automated..well then "nevermind:)

regardless, ...yes I have to agree this thing is turned on.
Modifications are available to get FB feeds to the forum but I am not convinced this would ultimately help the forum traffic. There are some who dislike FB and I do not want to alienate them.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
As one of the "lurkers", I check both but do prefer the forum because I can follow numerous types of threads that peak my interests from technical to marketplace items to just informative discussions such as this one.  I also appreciate the members who make things happen from a technical perspective.  Thanks Bob! 

I have to agree. A FB specific page (like for STAR) is a good idea I think. But if you want to follow the train of thought on a specific topic, the forum is the place. Facebook too easily becomes a jumble of posts, etc. that are difficult to follow. And like NinjaBob said, some folks dislike FB (and have sworn not to use it) Don't want to alienate them.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
I agree with Bob and Rich. I like seeing things on Facebook that could be of interest and attract potential members. But think the specific forum posts are not necessarily appropriate for the gen pop!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
After Van (FL State Dir) posts the Florida events on the MSTA Florida website I cross post to both FB and to this forum. We often get members visiting the Sunshine State so we get the word out the best we can. -JEP-

I'm not a fan of Facebook at all but I know it isn't going away so why can't ALL MSTA related info cross post  to the forum?
It takes a volunteer who is on both FB and the forum, who wants to do it. Who is going to do that? Existing volunteers who are already burning out? I run our local forum, but I'm not on Facebook and I'm not joining just and spending time there just for this purpose.

It is interesting that this thread exists, because we went through the same thing just recently on our Northeast Ohio forum (Yahoo group).
Its a cascade effect, content drops, people read and post less frequently, less content and more people take longer breaks. I used to check in almost daily, proably every couple of weeks now (might pick up again during riding season).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »
I think some people go to FB by default because it's not only where MSTA is, but basically everybody else they know. They'd rather stick with one thing than deal with multiple paths to information, for whatever reason.
This is the key from what I have experieneced and it isn't a good thing. People get on FB, their friends are there (mostly, if not bye friend) their family are there (grandma better get on FB if she wants to see her grand kids) MSTA is there, so why go anywhere else. While the vast internet has so much, they've got FB tunnel vision.
Family members who I used to hear from regularly are gone, because they're on FB but I'm not. And I'm not joining.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650