Author Topic: 2020 TriSTAR  (Read 9023 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: 2020 TriSTAR
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
Getting there and back is definitely a problem. Take a look at this AccuWeather link.....
https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-weather/north-carolina-virginia-under-rare-high-risk-for-flooding-rain/743379

Heavy rains on Thursday for sure. Friday improving. Then look down near the bottom of this article at the picture of the "Outlook This Weekend." There is an area extending from north-western NC (including where Sparta is located), down through SC, eastern GA, and eastern FL that appears to be CLEAR. The rest of the eastern US (except for the New England area) may get "Spotty T-storms."

That's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's also not all gloom and doom.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »
For the first time ever, I'm the first person to arrive at the Alleghany Inn in Sparta, NC. Generally, I've pulled in Thursday afternoon and found anywhere from 3-10 riders already checked in. Tonight, not only is no one else here, no one is expected to be here. Come on guys...I'm all by myself.

Great news too!! Albeit with a 50% capacity, all restaurants in town are scheduled to be open starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday evening for in-house dining. They're already open for take-out or drive through. That should make it much easier on all of us.

I really understand...I've seen creek after creek and river after river overflowing their banks. But it looks like the worst of it is over. There are still showers to the east, but it's starting to dry off a bit here.
The forecast for the rest of the weekend is for an isolated t-storm in the afternoon or evening...no surprise there. And not terrible conditions either. Pick the right direction and you might just stay completely dry.

I hope to see some of you tomorrow.

Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
4 of us coming down, should be there by late afternoon tomorrow. 😁
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 08:31:58 AM »
Brilliant blue and cloudless sky here in Sparta this morning. Dang, what a beautiful day!

I know it won't stay that way all day, but until mid-afternoon, the probability of precipitation is less that 10%. Gorgeous! Even then, there are a couple of hours where the probability of a t-storm is around 50%. Still pretty good odds after being cooped up for months.
Saturday, like today, may have some isolated t-storms. Sunday...looks like a drop dead gorgeous day all day. If you had the option of even coming on to Sparta on Saturday, riding all day on Sunday, and then going home on Monday, wouldn't that be nice. Wait a minute...we DO have that option since Monday is a holiday.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:45:35 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
For those still wavering...it's 5:00 now and, based on the radar, the rain will pretty much be done by 5:30. The micro brewery 50 yards down the road, JB's, and other restaurants in town will be opening to inside dining in the next few minutes to 50% occupancy. The forecast for tomorrow is looking like there may be an isolated t-storm floating about, but it's always that way. It's that time of year.

The Alleghany Inn has rooms available for tomorrow and Sunday nights. Come on over. We currently have 5 states represented...what about YOUR state?
Geoffrey Greene

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 08:05:00 AM »
Hi Geoffrey, Hope all goes well for everyone and wishing you safe riding. Sorry I couldn't make it  but there is that'd  proverbial.......maybe next year.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
Sooo, how'd it go ?

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 07:26:44 PM »
Sooo, how'd it go ?

Wet afternoon riding down Friday, but beautiful when we got there.  Saturday was picture perfect, one of the nicest days ever down there.  Sunday was great until I got 10 miles from home, when I hit hard rain for a couple,of miles.  Small group, but still lots of fun.  Hotel told me it was the first time they had more than 8 rooms booked at the same time all year.  Carry out and limited seating at the restaurants, a few were closed completely.  Traffic was light and we had a super fun ride on Saturday.  Already reserved a room for next year. 
not all that wander are lost