Author Topic: Honda Brings Back Africa Twin.....FINALLY!  (Read 13061 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Honda Brings Back Africa Twin.....FINALLY!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
Good news for the other markets but whether it comes here is still a mystery.  I'd say "No" since everyone here wants a Harley. 

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
The Honda announcement says it's coming here. -JEP-
"...American Honda can now confirm that the all-new CRF1000L Africa Twin will be in U.S. dealers early next year..."

Offline David

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 72k
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 FJ-09
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
It also seems everyone here In Va. wants a H/D except me! I can't handle the forward lean of the  R series sport bikes. So something between, like the Africa twin is good news to me, only wish I could see a good picture of it. I don't think Honda cares about the USA market anymore.
83 GS1100E   07 DL1000   07 GSF1250   02 FZ1    15 FJ-09  12 FZ-1

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »
It also seems everyone here In Va. wants a H/D except me! I can't handle the forward lean of the  R series sport bikes. So something between, like the Africa twin is good news to me, only wish I could see a good picture of it. I don't think Honda cares about the USA market anymore.
The USA market is a very small percentage of the world market and as you have pointed out everyone (well most anyway) think they want a Harley. There's only been one in recent history that spoke to me and it was not very successful from a sales perspective - the XR1200. Oh well, I'm too cheap to pay for one anyhow.

I expect the only reason Honda are willing to certify the new Africa Twin here is the current popularity of the "adventure" genre. It's expensive to do so but they really don't currently have a US-certified option to compete with the Tenere, 1200GS, DL1000, KTM990, Explorer and the like. Truth is relatively few adv bikes actually see any adventure just as very few SUVs ever leave pavement. And, IMO, those big bikes look cool but are too heavy to be much fun for most riders in low traction conditions. What they do provide is a comfortable and controllable riding position and good on road performance. Hmmm, sort of like a "standard" without the boredom. 
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
I would have liked to have seen Honda bring the "Crosstourer" into the States, shaft drive, 1200cc, adventure bike. I hope Jim's observation is correct about Honda wanting to compete in the adventure bike market as they seem to rarely pay much attention to consumer trends, IMHO.
I ran the wheels off of a couple of Honda ST1300's, a great trouble free bike. However, when Honda left me by not updating their sport touring line, I chose the adventure bike style.
I have found that they handle very similar to the sport touring line but are several pounds less (kinda like losing a fat passenger). My use, as Jim pointed out, is primarily for on-road use.
However, as folks that ride with me will readily agree, I've never had the good sense to turn around when the pavement ends and the road turns to dust but at least now I look like I belong there!  ;) -JEP-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:04:27 AM by RIDEMYST »

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
From the specs I have seen, it sounds like competition for the KTM 990 type. 9.8 inches suspension, 21 and 18 inch wheels, 110 HP, chain drive. 3 versions, basic, with added electronics, and DCT.

VersysRider

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
However, as folks that ride with me will readily agree, I've never had the good sense to turn around when the pavement ends and the road turns to dust but at least now I look like I belong there!  ;) -JEP-
I'll second that. But not much is said for the idiot with a passenger that continues to follow him and decides to cross a very questionable "bridge" that even he wouldn't cross.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

The USA market is a very small percentage of the world market and as you have pointed out everyone (well most anyway) think they want a Harley. There's only been one in recent history that spoke to me and it was not very successful from a sales perspective - the XR1200. Oh well, I'm too cheap to pay for one anyhow.

I liked the news release when H-d announced they were dropping the XR1200 from their lineup. I think it was something along the lines of "It seems that everyone that wanted one has already bought one."
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline David

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 72k
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 FJ-09
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
I ride my V Strom for only the comfort of the riding position.  The only off road riding would be my gravel driveway. Dirt bike would have to be less than 300.lbs   for me.  Has the Honda Africa Twin ever been sold here in the USA in the  past? I still have no idea what they look like.
83 GS1100E   07 DL1000   07 GSF1250   02 FZ1    15 FJ-09  12 FZ-1

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
SEE ATTACHED

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »

It looks like Honda is late to the dance again. They wait waaay too long to bring bikes to market and are usually behind the popularity curve when they do release that model.....just too slow to react to what is currently selling and popular....with most people wanting cruisers...they always seems to be releasing the wrong bike anymore.....they really need to reinvent themselves....
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
Actually, I think Honda was early for the dance and left before the fun began. Arguably the TransAlp, which was released in the USA in 1987, was the first "adventure" bike available here. It took a long time for our market to turn its interest to this type of motorcycle. I think that if Honda had continued to refine the Transalp using the more modern 4 valve heads and EFI that the Deuville eventually got it would have remained a low volume but steady seller. It would also have positioned them at the forefront of the adventure bike movement. The TransAlp design is somewhat long in the tooth now but personally I think it's still one of the best of the genre.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 05:09:53 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
I recall overhearing Moose Parish saying that if he could have only one bike, it would be the TransAlp that he had at that time. He may very well have changed his mind now several bikes down the road. But as Jim Randall pointed out, had Honda continued to refine the model, it might still be lots of folks favorite.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »

I saw this photo on some site recently. Looks more possible as the engine in all the other photo's shown here are the old V-twin this is the parallel twin that is supposed to be in the new Africa Twin.
YMMV

I must be out riding my Super Teneré'!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:25:42 AM by Brick »
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650